Thoughts on the new iOS interface?

dtruchan

Oct 1, 2016
Here is a video displaying the problem in the paid version of Pinball Arcade on an iPhone 6s+ running iOS 10.0.2. It is the same with iOS 10.1.1.

The free version actually works.

With both the paid and free versions. Taps on the filter selection (year, manufacturer, table packs, etc...) pass through to the table under the button. You have to scroll to an area were the button doesn't have a table under it in order for it to work.

Both the free and paid are version 6.5.0.

Brandon Garvin

FarSight Employee
Oct 10, 2016
Here is a video displaying the problem in the paid version of Pinball Arcade on an iPhone 6s+ running iOS 10.0.2. It is the same with iOS 10.1.1.

The free version actually works.

With both the paid and free versions. Taps on the filter selection (year, manufacturer, table packs, etc...) pass through to the table under the button. You have to scroll to an area were the button doesn't have a table under it in order for it to work.

Both the free and paid are version 6.5.0.

Thank you for the video and the information! I'm not seeing the issue with the scrolling on any of the three devices I tested it on (iPhone 5c iOS 10.0.2, iPad Mini iOS 9.3.5, iPad 2 iOS 9.3.5), but I'm sure I'm just missing something or there is some kind of configuration difference between our devices that causes this. I'll forward that video to our iOS programmer and see if he has any ideas for us. I did see the problem with the filter selection though, and I believe we already have that one in our issue database so hopefully it will get fixed soon.

nstraz

Mar 19, 2013
See if this bug is reproducible on your devices. Start TPA and select a table. Hit the home button and rotate your device. Start TPA again. It should show an image of the last time you played TPA in that orientation for about five seconds then close and you're back at the iOS home screen. Drives me nuts on my iPad Air with iOS 10.1.1.

abouttreefitty

Apr 26, 2014
See if this bug is reproducible on your devices. Start TPA and select a table. Hit the home button and rotate your device. Start TPA again. It should show an image of the last time you played TPA in that orientation for about five seconds then close and you're back at the iOS home screen. Drives me nuts on my iPad Air with iOS 10.1.1.

Tried that with my iPhone 7 on 10.1.1 and it crashed. It crashes when going from landscape to portrait. Portrait to landscape doesn't crash it.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I didn't think it was possible, but the UI is now worse. If I dare to even tap the home button, I can scroll through the tables, but not select any and none of the buttons work at all. I either play via the shopping cart or only the initial table I select off the My Tables list. Latest iOS 10 release on iPad Air 2.

Can we have the old UI back, please?

nstraz

Mar 19, 2013
Ugh, I have to close TPA after every tournament game because the buttons don't work after I exit a table. So frustrating!

nstraz

Mar 19, 2013
Do you have to go to the web site to figure out your standing on each table? Why aren't the tables just listed in one column with your best score and standing beside it? If I'm logged into pinballarcade.com, why isn't there a screen that shows my current tournament standings? I have to find myself first in the standings and click on my name.

JJHLH

Mar 7, 2016
I didn't think it was possible, but the UI is now worse. If I dare to even tap the home button, I can scroll through the tables, but not select any and none of the buttons work at all. I either play via the shopping cart or only the initial table I select off the My Tables list. Latest iOS 10 release on iPad Air 2.

Can we have the old UI back, please?

I'm having this same issue on an iPad Pro 9.7. After I finish playing a game and go back to the home screen to select a different game to play, whenever I touch the screen it scrolls back to the beginning (A-F games) and won't let me select a new game. I have to exit the app completely and restart it to select a new game. Needless to say this gets old very fast.

Is Farsight aware of this issue and working to correct it?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
New update (Gladiators, Dr. Who Master of Time) seems to have sorted UI issues for me at last: scrolling is better and I can choose different sorting options. They seem to have shifted the icons left so the right side of the screen can be used to scroll without accidentally launching a table. Thanks guys!

Running iPad 2 with iOS 10.2.

JJHLH

Mar 7, 2016
I agree. After the latest update the interface seems to work great. The previous problems have been resolved. Thank you Farsight!

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Do I dare update from v5.10.0 (TX Sector/last update before the new UI) to the newest version? Has the sound setting been addressed where muting that horrible theme song also mutes the entire game? I can go back to v5.10.0 if I need to since I archive all the older TPA versions but it involves having to redownload all my tables as well as resetting in-game settings.

Is it worth it now, even though I do still do detest that new UI?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I haven't played with the sound so I'll check. As far as the attractiveness, I like the sorting options and scrolling through settings and launching tables is faster so I can accept the tradeoff even if I don't like the menu buttons and other things.

Update: sound is still a binary choice: on/off.

Members online

Members online