Modded iCade Core with side buttons

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Hey Sotie, thanks for sharing your mod. I was waiting for iCade support so I just recently bought an iPad and two iCades (original, larger one). I noticed that you are able to select the table by clicking the start button on your Core model, but I could only select the table using the touchscreen. Only the up/down work in the table select screen. Now I'm debating whether I should get the Core. My Pinball Arcade cabinet is about 50% completed. Just in case someone else is interested in getting an iCade, I thought I'd post this info. I emailed support and hoping for an answer soon.

I'm surprised that the original iCade and the iCade Core aren't exactly the same as each other.

In addition to being able to select a table by pressing the start button (7) on the iCade Core you can also exit tables be pressing the pause button (9).

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Wait for configurable buttons mate. And then go work on the cabinet. Otherwise maybe you have to redo it.

They are working on it, i hope next update, or the following one. I think its wise for all to wait for it, and then look at the options you got.

Yesterday Farsight confirmed that configurable button mapping will be coming with the next update!
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4382-Well-I-feel-stupid-%28iCade-question%29?p=72355&viewfull=1#post72355

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Yesterday Farsight confirmed that configurable button mapping will be coming with the next update!
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4382-Well-I-feel-stupid-%28iCade-question%29?p=72355&viewfull=1#post72355

"Configurable" might be a little misleading. It will let you choose between iCade and iCade Mobile mappings that are detailed in this pdf. Unfortunately, configuring the mapping of each button individually on the user's end is not supported at this time. :(

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Just noticed that my iCade's Torx screws are the kind that require a T8H bit. That's a T8 with a hole in the center for the security pin.
Depending on the size of the screw and if you have any warranty issues (if you opened it up and modified it, you have no warranty anyways), you can very easily just snap of the security pin from the screw using a small flathead screwdriver, then use the standard T8 driver/bit. Still, if you have access to a Fry's or a hardware store that would carry the T8 security driver/bit, I would just buy it since you may need it or similar sizes in the future.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
"Configurable" might be a little misleading. It will let you choose between iCade and iCade Mobile mappings that are detailed in this pdf. Unfortunately, configuring the mapping of each button individually on the user's end is not supported at this time. :(

Thanks for clarifying Stuart. I misread your statement yesterday. This is not a problem for me... I am just going to reverse my nudge button wiring so it's consistent with the nudge touch interface.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Wait for configurable buttons mate. And then go work on the cabinet. Otherwise maybe you have to redo it.

They are working on it, i hope next update, or the following one. I think its wise for all to wait for it, and then look at the options you got.

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have the flippers and nudge buttons on the side, and I am still deciding on the rest. My main debate is whether to add a real plunger in the front in addition to a launch ball button. This is how my pc pinball cab is setup. Unfortunately, there is no variable or analog support for the plunger/ball launch (besides using the touchscreen). I wish that the implementation of the shake for nudge would be improved. I was thinking if they'd use the accelerometer like the game Labyrinth does, it'd work nicely (as long as you could adjust the sensitivity).

Sotie--right, I thought it was strange that they aren't the same too. I can exit with that pause button after I select the table but just cannot select it using the iCade.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Unfortunately, there is no variable or analog support for the plunger/ball launch (besides using the touchscreen).

When I launch with the joystick down on my iCade Core I can control how far the on-screen plunger is pulled depending on how long I hold down the joystick. I'm not sure if this could be translated to a real plunger or not if you wired the plunger to the joystick down wiring.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
When I launch with the joystick down on my iCade Core I can control how far the on-screen plunger is pulled depending on how long I hold down the joystick. I'm not sure if this could be translated to a real plunger or not if you wired the plunger to the joystick down wiring.

Right, the buttons and joystick are digital so they only read as on/off. With an analog plunger, it's nice that you could pull anywhere from 0-100%, and could hold or change the strength without ever letting go of the knob, like real life pinball. But with the joystick, there's still some timing involved since you can't go back to a lesser amount of plunger strength.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Heads up. The latest version of the beta has the iCade nudge matching the touch nudge. It was changed due to the conversation in this thread.

Thanks for the info. Is that bug still there where nudge behavior is backwards after the app is killed and restarted?

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I just tried out the zaccaria way of using icade, and they have done it perfect. I hope farside just copies that.

I played with the gamepad and its fantastic. And this way any controller can be used.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
A Power Switch was also added to the back of the unit. This isn’t necessary for playing Pinball Arcade but it’s very helpful for other games where text input is required. Normally the iCade turns off on its own after a period of inactivity. When text input is needed the only way to do so is to open the Settings app and toggle off Bluetooth. With the power switch all you need to do is flip the switch to enter keyboard mode immediately without having to go into settings. Flip the switch back on again and you’re back in Bluetooth/iCade mode[/I]

Hey again Sotie--for the power switch, does your red led light blink continuously when the switch is on? I tried the same power switch and my light blinks instead of remaining lit when activated. Thanks!

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Hey again Sotie--for the power switch, does your red led light blink continuously when the switch is on? I tried the same power switch and my light blinks instead of remaining lit when activated. Thanks!

It doesn't blink; just a steady constant red light. Is it behaving like the power is constantly turning off and on? Did you tap into the red battery wire?

Codeena

May 5, 2013
It doesn't blink; just a steady constant red light. Is it behaving like the power is constantly turning off and on? Did you tap into the red battery wire?

I'm a fool--it was blinking because it was low on battery. Thanks for the reply and info.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
I just tried out the zaccaria way of using icade, and they have done it perfect. I hope farside just copies that.

I played with the gamepad and its fantastic. And this way any controller can be used.

Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool game. I'd prefer to have the ability to the joystick to plunge the ball, and map buttons for nudging.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Hmmm, i like nudging with the small pokes.

Plunger is on a button, which works ok. I prefer it this way i think, cause nudging is more important to me then plunging, ;-).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.