Modded iCade Core with side buttons

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Nobody building a pin cabinet yet?

You mean for an iPad, right? I thought about it but can't decide which route to take for the backbox/glass. If I was going to make one I'd want it to look perfect. There would be no functional use for a backbox. I'm not sure how it would look without one.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
The perfect situation would be if we could use an iphone as DMD. (Is possible) Then you can make a backbox with DMD, maybe a good speakerset, and with and old ipad 1 you can do the translite, adjust it for every pin.

But before i am gonne work on it i first want to see customable button settings. And then look at all options to build a pin cabinet.

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
I'm thinking of using the GoldLeaf buttons for the flippers (due to them being closer to a real pin's side buttons), and the Sanwa's for the nudge buttons. Sanwa's are so silky smooth and sensitive, that it seems like it'll make those split second nudges easier to pull off. Especially for people who want to keep their fingers mainly on the flipper buttons and only reach for the nudge buttons when needed.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I'm thinking of using the GoldLeaf buttons for the flippers (due to them being closer to a real pin's side buttons), and the Sanwa's for the nudge buttons. Sanwa's are so silky smooth and sensitive, that it seems like it'll make those split second nudges easier to pull off. Especially for people who want to keep their fingers mainly on the flipper buttons and only reach for the nudge buttons when needed.

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it works out if you do it.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Wouldn't it be a good idea to reverse the nudge buttons? I believe in TPA nudging left means you're actually nudging the table to the right, in order to move the ball left. That means to slap save you'd have to hit the nudge button on the left side and the flipper on the right, which is the reverse from how it's done in real life.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here planning to do this myself so I'd like to get my info straight before I do.

I don't know how I didn't catch this before! After playing for a while it seemed like nudging wasn't doing what I thought it would then I finally realized that Farsight has reversed the nudge mapping in their iCade support. When the ability to change the touchscreen mapping is introduced we'll need to check to see if that will also reverse the iCade mapping. If so, then the button wiring will need to be reversed. But it works correctly right now! I really wish Farsight would release a changelog so we could easily see what's changing between versions.

Here's a quick vid to demonstrate both Left Button and Left Touch nudging:

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
I'm confused. So does that mean we should reverse the wiring for now or is it setup correctly? I did the reverse wiring just for side buttons at the moment.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012

Great idea. I think I'll try this first. Less work and don't have to cut the tips.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'm confused. So does that mean we should reverse the wiring for now or is it setup correctly? I did the reverse wiring just for side buttons at the moment.

In it's current incarnation, when the option "invert nudge" is set to "on". It reacts the way TPA has always been, all the while the iCade does the opposite. So if FS doesn't change anything upon release, the touchscreen and iCade nudges will react opposite of each other.

Easy fix of course, is to wire your iCade accordingly.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

If you reverse them now then the nudge mapping will be backwards so you should wire Left Nudge to button 8 and Right Nudge to button 0. I read that Farsight will allow touch nudging to be reversed soon. Hopefully when that happens it won't screw up the iCade mapping. Maybe it won't even matter when they allow the iCade buttons to be configured within the app. If it gets screwed up then the wires can be easily reversed.

---Didn't see Fungi's response right above mine.

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Now that iOS 1.2.7 is here with the invert nudge feature I guess I'm going to reverse my nudge wiring so I don't have to always change it in the options when I go from touch based play to iCade. Does anyone have any idea when FS will add iCade button configuration via the app?

clembo2021

Apr 3, 2013
Just noticed that my iCade's Torx screws are the kind that require a T8H bit. That's a T8 with a hole in the center for the security pin. These are harder to come by, and not every Torx bit set will have these (I own two Torx sets that don't). Just something for people to keep an eye out so they don't waste money on a set that won't do any good.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Just noticed that my iCade's Torx screws are the kind that require a T8H bit. That's a T8 with a hole in the center for the security pin. These are harder to come by, and not every Torx bit set will have these (I own two Torx sets that don't). Just something for people to keep an eye out so they don't waste money on a set that won't do any good.

Yikes, mine didn't.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

Yep, I said that in the guide in the first post of this thread. I paid $5 for a set of Torx Security bits at Fry's Electronics.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Hey Sotie, thanks for sharing your mod. I was waiting for iCade support so I just recently bought an iPad and two iCades (original, larger one). I noticed that you are able to select the table by clicking the start button on your Core model, but I could only select the table using the touchscreen. Only the up/down work in the table select screen. Now I'm debating whether I should get the Core. My Pinball Arcade cabinet is about 50% completed. Just in case someone else is interested in getting an iCade, I thought I'd post this info. I emailed support and hoping for an answer soon.

UPDATE: I just noticed that this issue with the start button was only for the table select screen for the tables I do not own. It does work for My Tables.

Last edited:

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Wait for configurable buttons mate. And then go work on the cabinet. Otherwise maybe you have to redo it.

They are working on it, i hope next update, or the following one. I think its wise for all to wait for it, and then look at the options you got.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.