2016-Aug-26 20-minute tournament: EBD, PZone, Diner, LCA, JY, FT, CBW, EDCoG

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Nothing's unclear.

Obviously it is.

You said "The more games you have, the better are your chances to win", which clearly implies that unskilled players have a better chance to win the more games they play. I just find it puzzling that you'd make this claim, as it seems in odds with your other claims.

Are YOU an unskilled player? That's new to me. If you read the whole paragraph again, you will note I was talking about you against me. And I said "the more games YOU have, the better are YOUR chances to win".

It doesn't say anything different than skill (=you) beats luck (=me) in the long run.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I actually read his whole paragraph as inferring you were a better player than him
Well, I didn't read it that way. He made a general statement: "The more games you have, the better are your chances to win". It reads as applying to everyone. Everyone includes unskilled players.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Whether you and I compete in 1 game or in unlimited games, I won't stay a chance other than being lucky or you being unlucky. The more games you have, the better are your chances to win. Skill beats luck in the long run, simple as that.

Nothing's unclear. You said "The more games you have, the better are your chances to win", which clearly implies that unskilled players have a better chance to win the more games they play. I just find it puzzling that you'd make this claim, as it seems in odds with your other claims.

No implication other than what you are reading into it. It's not the universal 'you', it's you i explicitly he's talking about. Not including the first part of the quote changes up the meaning.

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
Be careful, buddy. I watch tourney results closely, and you play almost as much as anyone, and certainly as much as the person you're talking about. (Or at least post new scores as often as he does.) There are many people in Steam Gold that play a lot more than he does.

Be careful, for what? Is that a threat? I watch too, and i see who's got a job and who doesn't. End of story. And i don't feel like playing all day long a long time ago. And that's the truth. Got more hobby's then just 1.

invitro

May 4, 2012
You keep putting words in our mouths. Never once did I say a thing about only having fun if I can have a chance at #1.
You said exactly that numerous times in your TotM posts.

And it's high irony for you to accuse me of putting words in your mouth, when you blatantly did that a couple of days ago when you said that I encourage paying Farsight for bugs, even having the gall to put what you said I said in quotes.

I'm done with this topic.

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
Indeed it is: a threat to call you out on your BS. Also: I seem to remember you "bragging" in your early posts that you played constantly because you had no job.

If somebody is full of BS here it would be you, with all kind of topics and discussions. When did i wrote that i played constantly? More BS? Quote me where i said that. And i played a lot long time ago, last year, yes, i was without a job there and me bragging? I did the opposite. Read those topics and posts again before u come up with even more BS.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
So exactly how many tiers are you suggesting? Can you prove that is the ideal number? Can you even prove that your number is better than three is? If Farsight went to this number, would you promise not to beg for even more tiers in a few months? ;)

Sorry, but I don't like the way you discuss. I don't have to prove anything and I'm not begging. Please ignore me for the future, thanks.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You said exactly that numerous times in your TotM posts.

And it's high irony for you to accuse me of putting words in your mouth, when you blatantly did that a couple of days ago when you said that I encourage paying Farsight for bugs, even having the gall to put what you said I said in quotes.

I'm done with this topic.

Show the quotes, I'll eat my words. I know the exact reasons I did what I did with TotM, and being #1 was never even a passing thought.

You've been in rare form this week, popping off on all sorts of things. The forum has been a bit anemic as of late, and healthy debate is welcome. Just don't be surprised when people back up their statements.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I do enjoy the time-limited tournaments. Initially, I thought I'd prefer a tournament where only a single ball was allowed, or at least no extra balls allowed; however, now I believe the timed games are the best way to go, depending on the table. While I could never hope to be competitive with the top-tier players in a full game, I might be able to be good enough for a 5-10 minute stretch of time. I could learn the fastest method to get the most points in the given time period, and I'm confident that I am capable of making just about any shot repeatedly, with enough practice and concentration. I could never keep up my concentration for an hour or more to make an all-time high score; but, for 10 minutes, I might have a chance to make all the shots necessary to score a ton of points.

For me, there is fun to be had in simply not becoming relegated to the lower league. In that, I'm much like The Magpies in England's Premier League.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
My goals:
Steam - get in the Top 10. Unfortunately that means playing Cue Ball Wizard far more than is good for my liking.
Mobile - 1. Top 30, 2. beat [MENTION=459]jaredmorgs[/MENTION]. I give in up CBW. I played for an hour or more last night and I'm still only #122. Party Zone may be terrible to look at on Android but at least I know how to play it and get a better score.

saspin

Aug 22, 2014
Being no where near the top 1% I need this often - on the bottom right are left and right arrows to scroll through the players.

Scott

This really doesn't help since the website is wonky on the iPad, and only shows the upper 1% of contestants anyway.

Dizzer2012

Banned
Oct 1, 2015
Good to see some players are getting better every month... I'll leave my total playtime around 7 hours :p Let's see if someone else can get 2nd place this time... good luck!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Good to see some players are getting better every month... I'll leave my total playtime around 7 hours :p Let's see if someone else can get 2nd place this time... good luck!

As the player currently in 3rd place on Steam, I'm not going to wager that anyone else will crack the top 2. I've already played way too much CBW for my liking. And played an hour on Party Zone last night to improve my score... by 1M.

I was going to have another crack at Android, but the Fallout 4 Nuka World DLC dropped last night so I'm off to have fun on the rides.

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
Is there a more frustrating table for a timed tournament than Junk Yard? Everything takes forever. Ball in play to total time ratio might be under 50%. And yes, I'm just bitter because I hit 0:00 halfway through the animation counting my 10m bonus for 20+ fireworks.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Is there a more frustrating table for a timed tournament than Junk Yard? Everything takes forever. Ball in play to total time ratio might be under 50%. And yes, I'm just bitter because I hit 0:00 halfway through the animation counting my 10m bonus for 20+ fireworks.

Absolutely! I'm thrilled to know that someone else feels the same way that I do. I was seriously considering just popping all the toast right away to end the dog video scene to see if it was the better option than playing through it.

Voof

Sep 22, 2015
I know this doesn't happen as much on PC, but on PS4 there were a couple players that had a few specific tables they could absolutely slaughter. Overall, they were average, but I think some players like being able to come in and throw in that 1st place on a table. It can also throw a wrench into the competition for the top tier players trying to get 1st.
I enjoy the time change because it can vary your strategy to win at a table, I wish there was more time in the day to do everything I want because I have no time for this tournament. On the plus side I've been enjoying live pinball!
Hope everyone is enjoying pinball and good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.