8 tables left, only 3 non-phof

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
A blur or smiley face would be distracting and lame. The best solution is to replace his face with someone who still has connection to the game or property. Best choice is John Astin, second-best would be putting a 'stache on a young Pat Lawlor.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
A blur or smiley face would be distracting and lame. The best solution is to replace his face with someone who still has connection to the game or property. Best choice is John Astin, second-best would be putting a 'stache on a young Pat Lawlor.

I would be fine with any of these ideas. Or base the backglass on the original comic strip.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
What is interesting is that many of these older operating systems are not yet emulated, so they might decide to wait on some of the PHOF tables, and give us some surprises instead.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012

Whilst I see your point, unless it's featured in the game a la Circus Voltaire it's not like you're looking at it when you play, right? I like the idea of replacing him with the actor from the tv show, that seems like a good idea art-wise.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
pseudokings idea is pretty awesome! they could just make a cool artist mad magazine style rendering of the backglass and not have to pay any of the actors on it. I mean for all the other tables I would rather see the real thing, but in the case of wierd rights and wills in the Adamms Family and since your not really looking at the backglass when you play anyway, do it!

And I totally don't want to distract from a serious idea, but i just had a great joke go through my head about ways they could cheesily use popular licence tables by changing their names and removing all restricted movie refrences by changing art animations and sound clips. In Indianapolis Jones 500 you play as a race car driver that explores hidden temples (a race car helmet has been really terribly photoshopped over harrison fords face).

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
There's also the actor's voices, which finding replacements for would be seriously detrimental. While having someone else's face on the backglass, which you hardly ever even see, is acceptable, for the most part, a sound-alike actor is not. Also keep in mind that if they have to change the sound clips, they have to alter the roms, and the table would no longer be emulated, and might as well be an original table, it would be so far off in resembling the original. They'd be better off just sticking to the unlicensed, or tables with more easily attainable licenses, rather than using complicated workarounds for problematic licenses.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Should get Elvira herself to promote Scared Stiff when it comes to TPA :D
It's uncertain as to whether we'll see this table at all. I imagine they'd want to also do EATPM as well, but the hardware for that is not emulated yet. There's also no word on whether they've struck a deal with Cassandra or not. She's had a good reputation for being easy to work with in the past, but that might no longer be the case now.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It's uncertain as to whether we'll see this table at all. I imagine they'd want to also do EATPM as well, but the hardware for that is not emulated yet. There's also no word on whether they've struck a deal with Cassandra or not. She's had a good reputation for being easy to work with in the past, but that might no longer be the case now.
I doubt she'd have a problem with it. A little royalty income and some free exposure to a new audience who might not have heard of her previous work, and she doesn't have to put any new effort in because all the voice acting is already in the table. It's all win for her.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I doubt she'd have a problem with it. A little royalty income and some free exposure to a new audience who might not have heard of her previous work, and she doesn't have to put any new effort in because all the voice acting is already in the table. It's all win for her.

Seeing the promo of Scared Stiff made me watch Elvira, Mistress of the Dark :p

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
In Indianapolis Jones 500 you play as a race car driver that explores hidden temples (a race car helmet has been really terribly photoshopped over harrison fords face).

Hahaha, that's brilliant! Hell, I'd buy that version and the official one just for the laughs!

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
That's what I thought too, but it isn't always that simple. Rumor is that she is in talks with JJ for a third Elvira table.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
That's what I thought too, but it isn't always that simple. Rumor is that she is in talks with JJ for a third Elvira table.

Dennis Nordman did design both Elvira tables, and has been announced as the Game Designer on Jersey Jack's second table, so sounds like an AWESOME rumor to me. I'd be all for it.

Now, if only I could afford one...

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
are we really getting Elvira soon? wow that would be awesome if so! I actually want those more than ST:TNG. Although TNG is really kick ass. Honestly I'd be really happy if instead of going after big expensive things like ST:TNG they would wait on that and buy 10 much cheaper yet still awesome tables. They could make the license tables cost just $1 more and put that dollar directly to the next license purchase. If 100,000 pinball fans become obsessed with the digitizing project that's really all they need to keep the license money coming in and not have to bother with this kick starter mess. Plus it makes buying tables sound like it's for a great cause. People would think, I'm not just buying this table for my own entertainment i'm helping perserve the future of pinball for generations to come and also funding my addiction for new tables to keep coming in.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
are we really getting Elvira soon? wow that would be awesome if so! I actually want those more than ST:TNG. Although TNG is really kick ass. Honestly I'd be really happy if instead of going after big expensive things like ST:TNG they would wait on that and buy 10 much cheaper yet still awesome tables. They could make the license tables cost just $1 more and put that dollar directly to the next license purchase. If 100,000 pinball fans become obsessed with the digitizing project that's really all they need to keep the license money coming in and not have to bother with this kick starter mess. Plus it makes buying tables sound like it's for a great cause. People would think, I'm not just buying this table for my own entertainment i'm helping perserve the future of pinball for generations to come and also funding my addiction for new tables to keep coming in.
There is talk that heavily licensed tables, such as TZ and STTNG, will be released alone, yet still cost $5.00. Ostensibly, the extra cost will go to acquiring more expensive licenses in the future.
I agree with you on cheaper licenses. While I'd love to see LOTR or TSPP, there are lots of great cheaper licenses, such as No Fear, the Elvira tables, Road Show, Monopoly, Indianapolis 500, Judge Dredd, Corvette, and Viper Night Drivin', among many others, as well as a ton of unlicensed tables they've barely tapped into.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I have no problem paying $5 for the expensive to acquire licenced tables, no problem at all. i can spend $5 at a real table pretty fast , $5 to own a virtual recreation of a table sounds like an awesome deal if it has a big name brand movie on it.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Side note, at 5 a table for 1 table lets say they make an extra 2.50, that means they would have to sell 28,000 copies of that table to raise enough for a 70,000 licence. I dont know what the sales numbers are like on pinball arcade but i really hope they can get 28,000 deticated fans. I think the word needs to be spread, ive shown this game to a bunch of people who now love it and i encourage you all to spread its existence, im sure a million people would love this but they dont know it exists yet

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
There is talk that heavily licensed tables, such as TZ and STTNG, will be released alone, yet still cost $5.00. Ostensibly, the extra cost will go to acquiring more expensive licenses in the future.
I agree with you on cheaper licenses. While I'd love to see LOTR or TSPP, there are lots of great cheaper licenses, such as No Fear, the Elvira tables, Road Show, Monopoly, Indianapolis 500, Judge Dredd, Corvette, and Viper Night Drivin', among many others, as well as a ton of unlicensed tables they've barely tapped into.
DISCLAIMER: I know no more than the next person regarding FarSight's licensing costs.

Now that that's over with, the minor licensed tables available so far (RBION, MB, CFTBL) have all been $4 tables on platforms where they're available separately. I don't think $1 more is going to cover TZ's royalties even with the kickstarter to cover the upfront licensing costs. I would not be surprised if TZ ends up being a $7 or $8 table, or maybe even $10, especially if FarSight wants to build up a reserve fund for pursuing future licensed projects with no or smaller kickstarters.

I do agree that FarSight has a wide range of options on nonlicensed and minor licensed tables to pursue, especially now that the System 11 emulation is mostly functional. I can see FarSight doing TZ and ST:TNG as the first year's "flagship" tables, and then taking a break and building up a strong income flow before hunting more white whales.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
yeah I think the main reason for going after some of the more expensive one's is farsight really wanted to be able to show and say they have the top tables of all time in their library. With TZ they let us know the #1 pinball table is coming soon, and with ST:TNG they are telling us "were going after the number 2 table now" it makes them seem so awesome. If ST:TNG gets the go ahead I really hope to see addams family sought after next, honestly though I think Addams Family would sell better with the real life pinball fans. I'm not sure how the rating system goes on IPDB but if you go to any pinball expo or competition Addams Family is at the forefront of it all.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts