A new app on the way from Stern and Farsight

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Great news. Will be nice to see more current tables even if in a separate app. And hopefully this opens up some licensing avenues that were closed before: Disney/Marvel

Will be curious on pricing and if there's going to be a season pass offered - imagine it's just going to be a single table price affair. And curious how they are going to handle the Pro/Premium/LE models for the various tables. Hopefully it's not just Pro versions only.

The Pinball Expo is coming up on October 16th. Stern has a heavy presence at it. Will see if any tidbits are mentioned/shown there.

karl

May 10, 2012
We all knew something was coming down the line, in some form or other.

I was really (pleasantly) surprised when hearing that the new app will be out this year already. Like someone said earlier, we can now be pretty sure why cabinet support was put on hold.

Hoping for goodness coming our way soon. Personally I am really looking forward to this and what tables we will be able to get out of it.

Now let the fun begin: Purely guessing here on tables from the last few years:

0. Any new licenses Stern secure.

1. Game of Thrones - based on a tv production and the books. Wasn't there talk in the IGN interview that they did not have this license for digital use? Wrong or right, In my view this should not be the worst license to get. They have dealt with HBO before. Probably depends on actors and author

2. Kiss - Music is hard to get licenses to, but I believe Kiss owns the license to the songs themselves since all of the songs are new versions and we know they'll do anything for a buck or two :)

3. WWE - This is still a pretty new table so the deal could already have been in place. Either way, as long as they base it upon the new actors they should have a possibility here

4. Mustang - I really can't imagine that they will have any problems with this one.

5. TWD - Again based on a tv-series so should not be as hard to get when going up against the likes of Disney. Come on AMC, be nice.

6. Star Trek - Could be a tough one, but I hope I am wrong

7. Metallica - Farsight has hinted before that Metallica would be far easier to get than AC/DC because of how Metallica have much more control of their own material and they have had a great partnership with Stern. I have a strong feeling that this table
will be the first we see. Just look at that new app logo ;)

8. Avengers - Sounds like a herculean task, but if you think about it, Stern has done a lot of Marvel stuff so it could be possible to bake this property into other deals AND THAT LEAVES US WITH:::: Tatattata

9. Iron Man Vault - See reason above

10. Spiderman Vault - Remake based on the comic and not any movie. Strong rumors regarding this being the next one from Stern and if the rumors are true, we have a winner!

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I wonder how big the file downloads will be, some of those new tables have quite a lot of digital content. :D

Fingers crossed for Monopoly, Simpsons, South Park :)

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Hopefully this means what I think it means. From Stern's Facebook page:

David Vanhoutteghem Pc version? Great news,. As long as you keep making real machines too smile emoticon
5 hrs · Edited

Stern Pinball Don't worry David! Big plans ahead!
3 · 5 hrs

ROCK ON! Can't wait |m|

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I don't mean to spoil everything, but I wonder what this might mean for the "classic" TPA? Longer development cycles? Less focus? Or what could be the development cycle for a Stern Pinball Arcade table? Maybe one every 4 months? I just wonder how this will fit with their current resources.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
I don't mean to spoil everything, but I wonder what this might mean for the "classic" TPA? Longer development cycles? Less focus? Or what could be the development cycle for a Stern Pinball Arcade table? Maybe one every 4 months? I just wonder how this will fit with their current resources.

Very good question. I remember hearing chatter that the Williams/Bally license is probably getting close to its end. Will it be renegotiated or does this change Farsight's focus?

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Nice news to wake up to thats for sure.So this means all stern tables including TSPP will be on a seperate app now.So will Farsight still be in charge of pricing each table?
My head is spinning with all the possibilities now lol

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
That's enough material for a whole episode of the Blahcade podcast. Make it happen :)

It would've been nice if they gave us the news for us to announce, wouldn't it...

Info is scant at the moment, but I did pitch a 23.5 episode. Chris is reaching out to the FS execs now to see if he can get some more public info. Sounds like more info will be released in "late fall" according to the first press release I googled.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
It would've been nice if they gave us the news for us to announce, wouldn't it...

Info is scant at the moment, but I did pitch a 23.5 episode. Chris is reaching out to the FS execs now to see if he can get some more public info.

Kewl.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
I am trying to think of why Stern would want a completely separate app/game from Pinball Arcade. Just more control?

I also wonder what this means for Sega and Data East tables. Do they fall under the original Pinball Arcade or Stern Pinball Arcade?

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
This would make some sense. From a comment on Stern's Facebook page:

Mike Haakenson: I don't think the current app would work with SAM and Spike systems so it makes sense to have a new app to support the new devices and technologies. It also should help with the licenses being bundled into Stern deals

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
This would make some sense. From a comment on Stern's Facebook page:

Mike Haakenson: I don't think the current app would work with SAM and Spike systems so it makes sense to have a new app to support the new devices and technologies. It also should help with the licenses being bundled into Stern deals

Based on Walking dead alone - maybe they could just start with a Teen rating for the new app.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.