AGE of TPA players

AGE of TPA players

• Total voters

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
and a Adams family pinball machine in a hotel near my house in mint condition!!!

There is some revival for pinball IRL.

A LOTR (yeah, not so old, I would like a 90's one) has popped up in a pub near the main theater of my city.

It's pretty dead, but, hey, it's a flipper. IRL.

I never went to that pub, but now there's a flipper, it's different. :p

Whatever, each time I go in there, there is always somebody who plays.

Robert Hunt

Dec 2, 2012
I'm 50 if you credit me my final trimester in utero, and I feel like my new cohort is in greater need of representation. Now bring on some of those mid-seventies Bally classics!

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
I am 41 and will be 42 on March 9th, 2014. I don't see the need for an E rating if there are tables that players would want that would go past the ESRB rating of E. It looks like we're all old enough to handle it.

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
48 ( +1 in July )
It look like so, that the most user's/player's have played in history (as Joungster) already on a real machine. In History I've had some real Pinball's at Home, repair them, play and sales (about other interesst and not so much space at home (Hard-core: 1 Room-flat and 1 pinball in it -> jump over oder go under them to go into the kitchen :cool:)

N

netizen

There seems to be an assumption that the poll here represents the players of TPA as a whole. All it represents is the age of the members of this forum.

Using just the Android download numbers of 1-5 million downloads, the 250 some votes on the poll means that the total votes here are a fraction of a percent on one platform.

That's not enough to even attempt to extrapolate that the users of this forum are representative of the overall users of TPA at large in anyway.

Then there is the assumption that the age of players has anything to do with the licensing agreements between Farsight and the holders of the IP and the platform distribution methods, or if there was a specific clause in a distribution contract that stipulated an E rating to be carried on a platform.

Apple has some weird stipulations for apps, as did MS, Google can be odd at times ... then there is Williams, and Stern who may have had specific goals for how their products are/were to be marketed.

Our age has very little to do with those sorts of arrangements, even though a T+ or M rating can often lead to a game selling faster/better depending on how it is marketed/sold.

Hot Coffee anyone??

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Our age has very little to do with those sorts of arrangements, even though a T+ or M rating can often lead to a game selling faster/better depending on how it is marketed/sold.

Hot Coffee anyone??

But I don't like coffee.

You actually bring up an interesting point. GTA: San Andreas, clearly labeled, reported, and known to be a non child friendly and obviously meant for adults game. And yet look at the conniption fit people had over the 'hot coffee' mod. It wasn't the parents at fault for letting their child play the game, it was Rockstar's for having such content hidden and only able to be found via special means by people very determined to see it.

And yes, our forum is but a drop in the bucket of a sample size for who actually plays TPA.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
But I don't like coffee.

You actually bring up an interesting point. GTA: San Andreas, clearly labeled, reported, and known to be a non child friendly and obviously meant for adults game. And yet look at the conniption fit people had over the 'hot coffee' mod. It wasn't the parents at fault for letting their child play the game, it was Rockstar's for having such content hidden and only able to be found via special means by people very determined to see it.

And yes, our forum is but a drop in the bucket of a sample size for who actually plays TPA.

I believe in the US the discovery of the scene led to a rating increase. Stayed the same in the UK, though.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Nope...rated M, just like my copies of GTA III and Vice City always have been.

The copies that had the content on it had a temporary ratings increase when it was discovered. They had to print new copies without the content that went back down to M.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The copies that had the content on it had a temporary ratings increase when it was discovered. They had to print new copies without the content that went back down to M.

Okay, but that wasn't the case here in the States. They just pulled San Andreas off the shelves until the new version was good to go, as absolutely no retailer will stock an AO rated game here. Still, we're talking about a game that was from the start rated M for Mature, and all that implies, and people got in an uproar because they feared their kids would see it. Meanwhile I'm sure they had some R rated movies in the house that the same kids could just as easily throw into the player and watch. But oh yeah, video games are for kids, right? It's also funny to note that while they pulled the console versions, hot coffee was never accessible on them.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Okay, but that wasn't the case here in the States. They just pulled San Andreas off the shelves until the new version was good to go, as absolutely no retailer will stock an AO rated game here. Still, we're talking about a game that was from the start rated M for Mature, and all that implies, and people got in an uproar because they feared their kids would see it. Meanwhile I'm sure they had some R rated movies in the house that the same kids could just as easily throw into the player and watch. But oh yeah, video games are for kids, right? It's also funny to note that while they pulled the console versions, hot coffee was never accessible on them.

It was the case in the states. That's specifically what I'm talking about :p

Look it up on Wikipedia or whatever.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
What I have never understood is why the M rating for games is so much more conservative when it comes to sex than an R rating for movies. An R rated movie can show full on intercourse of every kind as long as it doesn't show direct penetration. It seems like an M rated game can't show sex below the waist.

It seems like the two ratings are about equal when it comes to showing depictions of violence. I find it strange that the video game industry would be more conservative when it comes to sex than the motion picture industry is.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
What I have never understood is why the M rating for games is so much more conservative when it comes to sex than an R rating for movies. An R rated movie can show full on intercourse of every kind as long as it doesn't show direct penetration. It seems like an M rated game can't show sex below the waist.

It seems like the two ratings are about equal when it comes to showing depictions of violence. I find it strange that the video game industry would be more conservative when it comes to sex than the motion picture industry is.

I think because video games have the word "game" in it, and with it, the connotation of games being for children, the bar is at a different level.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I think because video games have the word "game" in it, and with it, the connotation of games being for children, the bar is at a different level.

If all games were for children then they wouldn't even have any ratings above E 10+ and Cards vs Humanity wouldn't exist.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

I love it when a thread gets derailed :D

So that is not entirely true. While penetration is never shown in an R rated movie, you'll notice something else is rarely shown, and that is thrusting. There is some mysterious amount of thrusting and the kind of thrusting that separates a movie from R and NC-17 according to the MPAA. It is what drives film makers crazy, because it shifts from movie to movie and nobody can get a handle on it. The safe thing to do is just show your actors grinding instead, no thrusts. Now if the thrusts are shown entirely from the waste up, no problem. It is only if you see a full body shot that it becomes an issue. Weird, right? And I know the next time you see a movie that has this you're going to be counting to see how many they get away with!

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I love it when a thread gets derailed :D

So that is not entirely true. While penetration is never shown in an R rated movie, you'll notice something else is rarely shown, and that is thrusting. There is some mysterious amount of thrusting and the kind of thrusting that separates a movie from R and NC-17 according to the MPAA. It is what drives film makers crazy, because it shifts from movie to movie and nobody can get a handle on it. The safe thing to do is just show your actors grinding instead, no thrusts. Now if the thrusts are shown entirely from the waste up, no problem. It is only if you see a full body shot that it becomes an issue. Weird, right? And I know the next time you see a movie that has this you're going to be counting to see how many they get away with!

Yes, and they can also show thrusting if their clothes are on. So you'll see a topless woman with a skirt on and the dude with his trousers unbuckled but no actual junk being shown. It's all very ridiculous. I served a three year sentence at Blockbuster right after college. It always amazed me that Moms would care about sex in a movie but not violence. I know that I wish that my daughter has a happy and healthy sex life but I really hope she never kills anyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.