Any TPA Tables You Regret Buying?

K

Korven

In terms of comparison to the real tables, the TPA version of ST:TNG is by far the most accurate. My real high score and my TPA high score are nearly in a 1:1 ratio. Most tables it's 10:1 or higher in favor of TPA.

In terms of relative difficulty compared to the other TPA tables, ST:TNG is too hard. RBION, MM and TZ should be the three most difficult tables released so far. The first two are where they should be compared to the rest of the tables; TZ is still a shadow of its true self, although the removal of that barrier in the bumpers will help matters some.

EDIT: I suppose I should answer the original question while I'm at it. I don't necessarily regret buying any of the tables, but Harley Davidson is really close to falling in that category. I don't care much for Black Knight either, although I appreciate its historical value.

I think MM is the hardest one for me, but I never got good at the real thing either.

On topic; I don´t regret buying any table but HD & BK gets played the least and Genie is really getting on my nerves, just can't get a decent score on that one.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
People complaining about ST:TNG being too hard, have you ever played the real thing? I think it's the most accurate table so far along with AFM.

Like you said, MWink wasn't complaining that it's "inaccurate", he was "complaining" about it being too hard. I think that's fair, he probably wouldn't like the real table either. Personally I'm all for the challenge.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Like you said, MWink wasn't complaining that it's "inaccurate", he was "complaining" about it being too hard. I think that's fair, he probably wouldn't like the real table either. Personally I'm all for the challenge.

You are correct. I would probably complain about the real table as well. Actually ST:TNG is one of the few tables I have played in real life though it was so long ago I don't remember anything other than being completely dazzled by it. Different people find different things enjoyable. Some people like an incredible challenge. I like a decent challenge but I don't like games that are extremely hard. I find tables like MM to be a decent balance. It's tough but I can usually keep the ball in play for more than 15 seconds.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented but it would be neat if there were a way to adjust the difficulty of the tables. I'm talking about things like how easy it is to make various shots and such, not just changing settings like enabling ball saver or increasing the number of balls per game. That would be a feature that I think would make the Pro versions more worthwhile.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I don't know, I guess the cost is so low, it's hard to feel any remorse.

This is exactly how I feel. I regret buying the $750 memory foam mattress that gives me backaches now. Something that I spent $5 on doesn't get consideration for buyer's remorse.

Not really, Although I would regret if ever I purchase the 'pro menu'. Just tried it on the android platform and it doesn't even seem worth the extra $3-$4 dollars for just moving the ball around. The operator mode should be standard that is all I have to say about that.

I would have been ok with it if pro mode was a universal add-on for say $5 that gave you these features on all purchased tables. Doing it on a per-table basis is something that I just can't support, especially since like you said the operator's menu should really be standard.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I would have been ok with it if pro mode was a universal add-on for say $5 that gave you these features on all purchased tables. Doing it on a per-table basis is something that I just can't support, especially since like you said the operator's menu should really be standard.

Well Yeah $5 would be a shoe in for me as well.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
My least played table is probably HD, but at least it's good for multi-ball practice. I don't regret buying any tables. Not by a long shot.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I'm not sure how this could be implemented but it would be neat if there were a way to adjust the difficulty of the tables. I'm talking about things like how easy it is to make various shots and such, not just changing settings like enabling ball saver or increasing the number of balls per game. That would be a feature that I think would make the Pro versions more worthwhile.

Well, at least changing the pitch of the game should at least be possible on a pro version. It's weird they didn't make it so, but it might be related to the fine tuning of the physics that they are doing for each table, maybe they only work at the supposed 6.5 degree angle, they are simulating.

Kevin Cockerill

Dec 25, 2012
Genie! It is too damn frustrating watching the ball shoot straight down the middle time and time again.... Aghhhhhhh! It has to be the hardest pinball to play ..

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I regret contributing to the kickstarters. It was a waste of $200. It would have been much easier to just buy the tables the day they were released. And, you would even get the tables the day they are released instead of having to wait days for them. Unfortunately, I will not be donating to any further kickstarters for them. Not even if it is for my favorite table Flight 2000.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I regret contributing to the kickstarters. It was a waste of $200. It would have been much easier to just buy the tables the day they were released. And, you would even get the tables the day they are released instead of having to wait days for them. Unfortunately, I will not be donating to any further kickstarters for them. Not even if it is for my favorite table Flight 2000.
Without contributors, there are no tables released. Still, he does have a point - there should be no reason a contributor should have to wait longer than someone who waited the day of release.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
highwire multiball bug where the first 2 balls locked just vibrate against each other until the table has had enough and releases them instead of waiting for the third
A quick nudge on the table alleviates the crazy ball-clicking...but of course doesn't really fix this ( or any of these nasty bugs) with CV. It's my favorite table (despite the bugs) and I sincerely wish FarSight would take the time to fix them as they are so easily reproducible.

Last edited:

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Because it is awesome representation of an EM game! I love Big Shot, even with the unforgiving outlanes.

On my iPad it just seems overly simplistic.

The nudging is just hopeless, there is no ball shadow, no proper ball reflection, no background noises. It's all a bit sterile and basic.

I'd probably like the machine in real life, but on the iPad at least, this is just a basic drain monster.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Here's a tournament video to compare if you want
]

Thanks for that.

(And thanks very much for the YouTube channel link. I thought I'd found all the really good pinball channels already!)

Yes, it's still a drain monster -- as most of these tables were -- but the real thing just looks so much nicer.

(Admittedly, they've done a really good job of the video capture on that table.)

The colours are subtle and varied, instead of flat. There's natural occlusion, reflections, etc. You know, all the stuff of real life. ;)

I know, I know... picky picky. But if we didn't care about visual fidelity, we'd still be playing Midnight Magic ;)

angrytilter

Jan 20, 2013
People complaining about ST:TNG being too hard, have you ever played the real thing? I think it's the most accurate table so far along with AFM.

I love TNG and used to play it a lot as a kid, but I have to agree with MWink, it does seem to drain a lot on launch, it'll bounce off the jets a couple times and fly down the left outlane. Ball saver does help, but some times it happens repeatedly, so it winds up eating the ball no matter what. If anything, that's my only gripe about TNG. I don't regret buying it though, as it will always have a special place in my heart. :D

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
Hate to admit, regret getting ST:TNG. No, its not because of the overly drain happy experience, just something with the table not really fond with. Plus the 5.00 was a little hard to swallow when I could of used it to buy two tables instead of one.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts