Anyone still going to support this version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nik Barbour

Got my fingers crossed - my preference would be MS as publisher.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Yea this post is a load of crap. Where to begin.

The ps3 is not more powerful. Biggest lie/misconception of the entire console generation. The 360 has a better gpu and a more efficient ram setup (especially edRam which allows better alpha effects at higher resolutions). Surprise surprise you see that on a couple tables. Cleaner image and better alphas a common advantage on the hardware.

On the flip side of that PS3 has an often neglected raw CPU advantage that almost makes up for the weak gpu. Almost. And it loses the advantage of the ram in fill rate but also isn't hindered by the bottleneck either. So it can do better lighting because of that. Surprise surprise slightly better lighting in ps3 TPA.

So the truth is. Both consoles, when weighed out, are different and mostly cancel each other out. But this whole idea that ps3 is the most powerful is fanboy delusion. An argument can be made for either machine being "more powerful", but its so much more complicated than that. in lamens terms its actually the 360 that is the better machine.

As for making the versions on par with each other. They are on par. At least as much as they can be. Each takes advantage of the respective systems unique hardware, and which u think looks better is a matter of preference. Plenty of people prefer the ps3 look and plenty of people prefer the 360 look. The only real issue on ps3 is the input delay and I honestly don't know what's going on there. Some feel it some don't. I felt it but It coulda been my buddy's setup.

Wake up and start looking at things objectively and take off your fanboy goggles. As for Rrod come on man it's not 2007 anymore I mean look at that Xbox u showed lol faceplate lol they haven't made that ugly face plate since LAUNCH and Rrod was fixed in 2008! They haven't even produced non-slim xboxes since 2010! Jesus get with the times man.

Let me bust out my old broken disc drive ps2 from my garage somewhere and show you how my dream cast still works. My Saturn still works but not my ps1! It goes both ways dude. Not defending 360 it is by far the most unreliable piece of crap console of all time, but it took that title from the ps2 and ps1 before it, don't forget. And ps3's ylod it isn't getting a free pass either. Next gen both them need to get their stuff together

Wow, I didn't mean to spark an all out console war.
I'm certainly the furthest from a fanboy you will find as I own at least 2 consoles of every game system released in the USA since 1972 and I play them pretty often.

My point was that there is no reason the PS3 version should be at all less than the 360 version. Let's leave it at that and all take it down a notch.

PS: "Genesis does what Nintendont", "Do the Math", and "Your vision is our vision, Intellivision"

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Unfortunitly when I send MS by RROD early model console they just send me a same model remanufactured console which invariable gets the RROD again. 3 times now, until I got sick of it. If they sent me a newer console that worked right, maybe I would use it once in awhile. not that Sony is perfect with thier cheap thermal paste they use. But at least that took 6 years to break. Ironically, my Atari 2600 is working after over 30 years.

Besides, everyone knows both consoles bow to the might of the Vectrex.

I agree. The Vectrex is probably my second favorite console to the Neo-Geo. I love those clean and bright vector graphics! :)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Wow, I didn't mean to spark an all out console war.
I'm certainly the furthest from a fanboy you will find as I own at least 2 consoles of every game system released in the USA since 1972 and I play them pretty often.

My point was that there is no reason the PS3 version should be at all less than the 360 version. Let's leave it at that and all take it down a notch.

PS: "Genesis does what Nintendont", "Do the Math", and "Your vision is our vision, Intellivision"

I think the backlash was a result of the RROD video you posted which had nothing to do with FarSight bringing the PS3 version of The Pinball Arcade up to par with the Xbox 360 version.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I think the backlash was a result of the RROD video you posted which had nothing to do with FarSight bringing the PS3 version of The Pinball Arcade up to par with the Xbox 360 version.

Yeah Pin, but t had everything to do with why I can't play the 360 version of TPA.
Not to mention I was trying to record a video of WPHOF, which I loved on that system.

Anyway, my main point was that there is no reason the PS3 tables should look less polished than the 360, and I hope we can all agree on that.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Yeah Pin, but t had everything to do with why I can't play the 360 version of TPA.
Not to mention I was trying to record a video of WPHOF, which I loved on that system.

Anyway, my main point was that there is no reason the PS3 tables should look less polished than the 360, and I hope we can all agree on that.

No worries...here's to hoping Jason can get the visuals on many of the DLC tables to look as good as the core tables.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
No worries...here's to hoping Jason can get the visuals on many of the DLC tables to look as good as the core tables.
[Insert semi-serious grumbling here about PS3 owners at least having new DLC tables to play at all, ugly or otherwise.] :p

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
[Insert semi-serious grumbling here about PS3 owners at least having new DLC tables to play at all, ugly or otherwise.] :p

:D No doubt...and Sony can thank FarSight (for releasing The Pinball Arcade on the PS3) and Crave (for filing bankruptcy and causing a delay with DLC on XBLA) or else I never would have purchased a PS3 as it doesn't have much to offer me sans the light gun shooters.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
:D No doubt...and Sony can thank FarSight (for releasing The Pinball Arcade on the PS3) and Crave (for filing bankruptcy and causing a delay with DLC on XBLA) or else I never would have purchased a PS3 as it doesn't have much to offer me sans the light gun shooters.

I'm in the same boat, except replace "light gun shooters" with "MLB: The Show". :D

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Pinball fan that can't afford real tables.
Having played TPA for a couple of months on the small screen (phone), I decided I wanted to invest, to play on the large screen so bought an xbox in July (pre - fiasco) purely to play TPA on, the very thing you so vehemently defend.

Without phsycic abilities - why would you deem that, something silly to do?

As for your second quote, to another - your fairly rude yourself.
I've seen you attack a few people recently, just for expressing a non-fanboy opinion.

Personal attacks are childish and not helpful to anyone.

EEK!!!

Nik, I must apologize, I really had no intent on attacking you and really meant nothing nothing nothing at all and had nothing to do with you purchasing a 360. Fact the whole thing sounded rather like a Monty Python monologue in my head (let's not go to camelot it's a silly place), and was really not intended in any malicious way. It's obvious that i completely failed at conveying the light-hearted nature of my comment...was hoping the mind trick joke would have further conveyed that.

Anyway, I still stand corrected as I now know one person who did buy a console for TPA and nothing more. Personally I think that's pretty cool that TPA has generated a console sale (I have no real preference between systems BTW but being that i only own a 360 i am more vested in it).

I know this is off topic again, and won't veer it off again, but I do think that I owed you an apology.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
You seem to be forgetting the God of War Series, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank Series, Killzone series, Uncharted Series, Infamous series, LittleBigPlanet series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Last of Us, and Beyond Two Souls (the latter two aren't out yet, but you know they're going to be awesome).

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
You seem to be forgetting the God of War Series, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank Series, Killzone series, Uncharted Series, Infamous series, LittleBigPlanet series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Last of Us, and Beyond Two Souls (the latter two aren't out yet, but you know they're going to be awesome).

I'm with you on most of those, and I played em all, but we are going to have to disagree about Heavy Rain and Infamous 2.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Of that list, the only series I found fun was God of War, Heavy Rain, and Uncharted. The rest I found ... well, boring or uninterseting, but that's just me. LittleBigPlanet I gave up on after getting stuck. Only PS3 game I've got on my list is the new God of War one.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I thought they fixed the lag, but when I load up the demo, it is still there, even after the update.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
PS3 is the first Sony console I have never owned. Imo PS3 lacks the standout Sony gems that made the PlayStations consoles like no other. On PS1 it was stuff like Omega Boost, Intelligent Cube, Bushido Blade, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania SOTN, RayStorm... on PS2 it was Shadow of the Collosus, Onimusha, Ico, Kingdom Hearts, Virtua Fighter 4, CAVE STG's. PS3 just has a bunch of Western exclusives I don't care about. Never been a fan of Naughty Dog, I didn't like Ratchet and Clank or God of War or Killzone on PS2, and LBP, in my opinion, pales in comparison to most competent SNES platformers.

And just so you don't think I'm being a hypocrite, I don't like Alan Wake, Viva Pinata, Crackdown, Left 4 Dead, Gotham Racing, Splinter Cell, or Fable either. This stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

Pin Wiz is just like me, I want those light gun shooters (House of the Dead 4 and the Time Crisis series primarily). We're oldschool arcade heads with a taste for proper games, I hate this interactive Hollywood movie crap and Uncharted and Heavy Rain epitomize it.

I don't want people thinking I'm an "Xbox fanboy", nothing could be further from the truth. I wrote the console off early on and it wasn't until Chromehounds, Dead Rising, Dead or Alive 4, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Cry On (cancelled), and Lost Planet that I decided to get one. I had every intention of selling my "Xbox 1.5" for the "far superior" PS3 (this is how we thought back then, and I wasn't a fanboy this was how most gamers thought) because I wanted Virtua Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 4, Cave Shmups and Final Fantasy XIII and I "knew" they would be PS exclusive....

Since then I've followed PS3 very closely through all the price drops and I was like "ok 399, Last Guardian, that ****s mine". Well the console is now down to 249 and Last Guardian is still nowhere to be seen. Honest question what is up with that? Final mention I'm a huge Gran Turismo fan, and since none of my PS3 owning fans have it (bad taste runs deep with some of my mates), the demo at Gamestop.... wow. Graphically unimpressive with my fingers slipping off the damn triggers in a racing game. This is my opinion but if you ask me PS3 is just a major falling from grace for Sony, I'm sorry that's how I feel about it.

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I know we're veering off-topic again but it has been the Xbox Live / PSN games that have made this generation worthwhile. I bought a PS3 with the promise of a new game by Team Ico (The Last Guardian, which is still to appear) but it has been the likes of Flower and Journey that have made the system worthwhile. Also Demon's Souls.

I'm bored by all the big franchises, particularly FPS ones. Killzone and CoD do nothing for me, regardless of platform. Only Skyrim and Bioshock have really captured my imagination, and that's as much to do with visual design as anything.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I know we're veering off-topic again but it has been the Xbox Live / PSN games that have made this generation worthwhile. I bought a PS3 with the promise of a new game by Team Ico (The Last Guardian, which is still to appear) but it has been the likes of Flower and Journey that have made the system worthwhile. Also Demon's Souls.

I'm bored by all the big franchises, particularly FPS ones. Killzone and CoD do nothing for me, regardless of platform. Only Skyrim and Bioshock have really captured my imagination, and that's as much to do with visual design as anything.

We may as well go off topic since there's nothing else to talk about lol. Remind me to get Dark Souls. <3 From Software. Ever play Chrome Hounds? This is one of the finest devs still standing along with Platinum Games and others.

Feel you on CoD. Halo 4 has so many CoD elements and it's a worse game for it. I'm still enjoying it but I liked Reach alot better. I'm ready for new hardware though, I've had this console for 6 years, sheesh. Not into Skyrim but Dragons Dogma has my attention, don't know if I have the time to invest 100's of hours into an RPG though, that's why I stayed away from both Dogma and Souls so far. I feel you on the download stuff, I have 60 XBLA games. If I end up getting a PS3 I'll check out Flower and Journey for sure.

Last Gen I owned everything. Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube. This gen I have an Xbox. I'm too old and don't have the time to be catching up with Wii and PS3, tbh. But if I can get a PS3 for 200$ and get HotD 4 and PBA I'll be a very happy camper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online