April TotM Groupings and Results

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for the shiny new avatar. I never dreamed that I would actually place in one of these tourneys.

I don't know how feasible it will be, if I'm able to, or if I even will, but let's just say I'm hoping to someday have an actual trophy of sorts. Or there's still the t-shirt idea on the table. For now though, avatars will have to suffice.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Let me explain this: When I started working on the Excel Sheet for SYT, I used the March Tournament as test to validate the outcome of the sheet. In the end we discovered 2 errors in SYT's manual calculation - one with Jared and one with Captain B. Zarre. We decided to take the correct results, even if they are different from the posted results of March and go on with these points.

The exact reason was an error on the calculation of the bonus points for beating Top Ten players. Since this was a manual calculation, I'm not really surprised about the errors, as it must have been a nightmare to get the results.
Thanks for the explanation... I found the error in my copy of the March results. Sorry for being a pain! I like being an accountant sometimes. I know it is not fun (for most people) to go back and pore through reams of numbers. I support you guys' efforts! Now let's play some The Party Zone!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for the explanation... I found the error in my copy of the March results. Sorry for being a pain! I like being an accountant sometimes. I know it is not fun (for most people) to go back and pore through reams of numbers. I support you guys' efforts! Now let's play some The Party Zone!

Don't worry, by the time we start the 2nd season, this whole tournament thing will be running smooth as glass!

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Thanks for the explanation... I found the error in my copy of the March results. Sorry for being a pain! I like being an accountant sometimes. I know it is not fun (for most people) to go back and pore through reams of numbers.

Don't worry, being an accountant myself I can fully appreciate your questions ;)

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks again to SYT and also to Xanija for running things. The tables were pretty horrible this month, but it's always fun to slap around a bit for the tournament. I'm really happy someone is taking the time to organize things like this.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Realized I forgot to post this after writing it up last week, if anyone is curious.

Theatre game 1 6,632,155,500

Theatre was the only one I practiced on beforehand. The EB limit really does change strategy on this table so I really wasn't sure what to do and tried out some options beforehand. Eventually the best approach seemed to be the right ramp for Magic letters and locks and Spirit Ring points. Don't go for the trunk, because it's a risky shot and the right ramp is much safer. The open trunk is safe, though, so I would start illusions when it happened to be opened by enough random hits. Especially before multiball, which resets that progress.

So in my tournament game, ball 1 drained quickly. Ball 2 went on a very long time, including some super luck on Hocus Pocus saves three times. I got multiball eight or so times. And I got the 100M double jackpot four times - this isn't nearly as fragile as everyone thinks, you totally have enough time to pass to a full catch on the left flipper then shoot the trunk. I wasn't prioritizing illusions, but eventually did get enough for Grand Finale, and then of course the ball finally drained two shots in, naturally. Including the 800M bonus, I had about 5 billion on the scoreboard now. Ball 3 got a couple more multiballs, then drained out the left outlane to finish at 6.6B. This one game was good enough and I didn't need a second.

Bride 10,501,590,650

I jumped right into Bride without any practice or warmups, which might have been a bad idea. My aim on the shuttle ramp was way off and I bricked into the left outlane twice before getting anything started. I punted that to start a second game, and this time it went well. The game was super stingy about offering billion shots, though. Like twenty spins in a row without one. I actually accumulated a billion worth of "normal" points before even finishing the 8 billion shots. But anyway, that happened, and so did the backdoor billion. I started grinding the skill-shot exploit for a little while, but lost it at 50x on bricking into the left outlane twice to end multiball and then drain. I just ended the game from there rather than grind any more.

Whitewater 784,751,420

So like I said, my solution to the grindiness here was to ban Whirlpool Challenge. But by ban, I mean just not grinding the whirlpool shots, I'll go ahead and use the multiball to advance rafts. Game 1 did just that, got and used Whirlpool Challenge to move through a lot of rafts, up to about raft 14, and then later actually collected the Traveling Hazard. Got only one instance of multiball and about six 2x jackpots for 46M each. Hungry left outlane killed me on every ball. Forgot how lighting the kickback is a top priority. Second game was about the same, and this time I hit the jackpot shots tripling it to 72M, but lost the multiball very quickly. 784M wouldn't come close to anyone who grinded Whirlpool Challenge, but I didn't want to try and turned out didn't need to in my pool.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.