Atomic Pinball Collection (APC)

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Masks - after pausing the game and resuming - after the 3 sec count down the flippers don't respond for about another second. So if you have a trapped/caught ball on the flipper, pause and resume the flipper goes dead and drains the ball. Works fine on rob o bot

Anders

Color Monkey
Nov 21, 2012
I like the DMDs all around - hats off to the animator. I would like to know how that's made! Software, technique, process.

1. Create assets in various programs (illustrator, photoshop, blender, lightwave)
2. Compose and animate in after effects
3. Export to B/W image sequences
4. Put in texture atlases
5. The game then renders them looking like dot matrix displays using OpenGL shaders
6. Done! :)

Anders

Color Monkey
Nov 21, 2012
Masks - after pausing the game and resuming - after the 3 sec count down the flippers don't respond for about another second. So if you have a trapped/caught ball on the flipper, pause and resume the flipper goes dead and drains the ball. Works fine on rob o bot

Thanks

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
Had troubles w/ bastardio aka CEO 2x - I could hit all the required ramps to get him to the knock out phase - but if you miss the center KO shot - which as mentioned is not an easy shot as it seemingly should be - it's all over as everything, ramps, posts etc. restore his health - the only shots available are the tequila bar and for some reason the post to the right of the tequila bar. These are pretty much impossible to hit without hitting the aforementioned - everything else.

+1

Also +1 on the multiball DMD. Really great.

I'm assuming it's intentional, but just making sure, high score is misspelled on the leader board as HISCORE

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
890936ffcbf97dfde1af6b45419a84dc.jpg
Lights still off 2 balls after Tilt

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
1. Create assets in various programs (illustrator, photoshop, blender, lightwave)
5. The game then renders them looking like dot matrix displays using OpenGL shaders
That's a relatively long process, and it's interesting to learn how it's done. I wonder how this process differs from how Stern does it, for example.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014

Thanks! I teach creative technologies for the college of engineering at my university and just got the green light to start developing a course where we will design and build a pinball table. I am looking for a more DIY/makerspace approach so this is awesome!

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
It will be a real table - as far as an engineering project it will have everything - storytelling, design, programming, prototyping, mechanical, and electrical engineering. One of the best ways I can think of to introduce students to electronics and definitely the biggest challenge I can give myself.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Will do, and if anyone has any resources from others who have undertaken this insanely cool and foolish adventure (DIY/DIWO pinball table) send it my way. Prob in another thread- back to Atomic pinball - really digging these digital pins!

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
I'm just enjoying my little brain out of Masks, what a wonderfully fun little table. Flying attack chickens! Robo-reimagine is nicely done too.

Congrats on a great start to APC. I look forward to buying all the next tables if anywhere near this quality.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Few comments:
- When the ball hits the top of the left slingshot it sometimes drops dead. Feels kind of unnatural.
- The ball rarely goes back from the bumpers into the top rollovers. It’s like there’s an invisible barrier preventing it to go up.
- Made a couple of drop catches!
- The music is great!

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
Few comments:
- The ball rarely goes back from the bumpers into the top rollovers. It’s like there’s an invisible barrier preventing it to go up.
!
Never?
-Ball often goes over/through flippers too often. Once on a while this would be right.

Probably Monkey can't change the physics.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
really having fun with masks. multiball is a ton of fun. really like all the different modes for it. Music is great.

couple of more things I've found -

* Tilt randomly flashes on the DMD. i've had it happen going into the tequila bar, during surf's up and at the start of multiball. nothing happens it just flashes on the DMD screen.
* Might be fun to add punch sound effects to the orange posts when you hit them during a match and your opponent gets some of his strength back so it feels more like a back and forth match and they're getting some offense on you.
* During post ball bonus summary on DMD you list mission bonus, should that be match bonus?
* Sometimes I hit a flashing center green target flush and it makes a sound but it still doesn't register the hit.
* Is Bastardo intentionally harder than the other opponents or am i crazy?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts