Black Knight 2000 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
The ROM is emulated, the sound board is not. FarSight extracts the audio files directly from the chip so the samples are all authentic. It's been this way since the beginning.

Hmm, why wouldn't they also just emulate the sound? I think it's probably one of those Yamaha FM chips like the one in the Sega Genesis. Most of it sounds alright but there's something about the posts (not sure about my pinball terminology here but I think that's what they are) above the jet bumpers that just doesn't sound familiar to me. Could just be the recording. And I think you can tell the audio is scripted when the "You can do it!" hurry up plays, and there's overlap with the music here when he gets it.

The sound delay you hear is a result of running a recording app that shares CPU and GPU cycles for recording grunt work. The audio is already a little latent on android anyhow (see stickied posts), but the native screen recording causes some audio sync issues.

If you want to see how it really plays, download the .apk and install it ;)

Video for illustrative purposes only.

Yeah, I do think the delay accounts for some of it, you're right. When you launch your ball somewhere in the middle of the video the bit of idle music that plays there is still going after you have the ball in play. That's probably the delay on your video.

And I wish I could try out the beta! But I am not one of the privileged few, sadly. Just in here because BK2K is my favorite table and I am anxious to see how good of a job they are doing with it! And unlike a lot of the other tables in TPA, I have played a ton of real life BK2K and for once I feel like I am familiar enough with the table to judge.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Also, the idle background music that plays when you launch a ball plays until a switch is triggered on the playfield, so the background music doesn't always change immediately after the ball enters the upper playfield.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hmm, why wouldn't they also just emulate the sound?

And I wish I could try out the beta! But I am not one of the privileged few, sadly.

Regardign sound emulation, I have a theory that it is quite expensive (processing wise) to emulate the game to start with. So if you also throw in another CPU thread to emulate the sound, then the game would bog down terribly.

It's also worth noting that certain sound calls the pinball machine makes are deeply linked to standard and wizard goal recognition. If the audio was fully emulated, and not extracted and streamed, the game would not be able to recognize as easily when a certain sound call was triggered and therefore goal awards would be more difficult to code.

Regarding the beta, if you are on Android you can install the beta without being on any special beta testing list. So your "privileged few" comment suggest that you are an iOS user. Come over to the dark side. We have cookies.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Regardign sound emulation, I have a theory that it is quite expensive (processing wise) to emulate the game to start with. So if you also throw in another CPU thread to emulate the sound, then the game would bog down terribly.

It's also worth noting that certain sound calls the pinball machine makes are deeply linked to standard and wizard goal recognition. If the audio was fully emulated, and not extracted and streamed, the game would not be able to recognize as easily when a certain sound call was triggered and therefore goal awards would be more difficult to code.

Regarding the beta, if you are on Android you can install the beta without being on any special beta testing list. So your "privileged few" comment suggest that you are an iOS user. Come over to the dark side. We have cookies.

To both of your points, I am a PC player. I have a phone but no desire to play pinball on a small touchscreen so I generally don't pay any attention to the phone releases at all. Before Steam I was on 360. I have nearly every device they make TPA for, but I was always waiting for the Steam release, and now that it's out, that's my main platform. And so for PC, I don't think the sound emulation would really make much of a dent, but I'm sure there's shared code and I can see keeping things on a tight leash for mobile devices.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Yeah the war rubbers are really bouncy in real life.

not only that the ball can trip the rollover and bounce back out, so the TPA hair trigger rollover behavior is actually correct for this game.

can you collect loop extra balls ok by one-timing the feed back up the skyway ramp?

N

netizen

not only that the ball can trip the rollover and bounce back out, so the TPA hair trigger rollover behavior is actually correct for this game.

can you collect loop extra balls ok by one-timing the feed back up the skyway ramp?

You can, not reliably, trigger the WAR rollovers and bounce the ball back out. See my post above about the rubbers.

Yes, you can collect the loop EB fine by one timing the feed back up the skyway ramp.

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
Doesn't a forward nudge free the ball when it's hung up in the lock for anyone else?

When it occurs to me a single forward nudge and the ball bounces a bit then continues on its way.

Has anyone seen a bad shot the the upper ramp magically appear on the wireframe and then proceed to the lock? I find it happens more when the shot is on the ramp but more towards the post and would have been a wobbler.
I've ty to nudge, but the ball doesn't release and a Tilt warning was coming, bur I'm not sure if it was forward or on side

The bad shot?
yes one time, I was surprised how the ball comes up

N

netizen

Is it supposed to be possible for a slow shot around the loop to be able to get a a ball into the top eject hole (to the Left of the W-I-N roll overs) and trigger the lightning wheel (if spin is lit below), or have the ball exit from the lower playfield spin VUK (if it is not lit)?

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
Weekend :)
and a little time for test

3 issues more from me

1) another point where the ball blocked, nudge will be a result TILt (try x time)
gyqu5ebe.jpg

2) The small hud should be show the reached char for the Multiballgame (I can't remember the exact name, but the small HUD is not clear

aqy9a3eq.jpg

3) During Multiball, there is the possibility to reach the Jackpot if a ball is locked over the ramp on the upper table. If all balls (2&3) are lost (only the last is in game) it is possible to reached the jackpot till this ball is lost, too Ithing, thats not correct, the Jackpot sbould be only given if at min. 2balls in game. But I'm not sure

N

netizen

3) During Multiball, there is the possibility to reach the Jackpot if a ball is locked over the ramp on the upper table. If all balls (2&3) are lost (only the last is in game) it is possible to reached the jackpot till this ball is lost, too Ithing, thats not correct, the Jackpot sbould be only given if at min. 2balls in game. But I'm not sure

Much like AFM, when you lose balls 2+3 in multi ball the jackpot can still be claimed for a wile. I am not sure of the exact amount of time, but it's around 15 seconds that it remains lit for.

You also have to reopen the ramp after you have gotten a jackpot, and it resets, if the settings are configured to allow for multiple jackpots. I haven't gotten more than one so maybe someone else can clarify this :confused:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Ryan, would you mind releasing a new build with the latest BK2K res file today or have you left for the day already? :)

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I suggest that Ryan and the other members of FarSight talk to Brian Schmidt about the new release. Maybe also talk to Steve Ritchie as well.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

A little delay on some sound effects for me.
Had one instance where my game was interrupted by the phone going into roaming and it ended up crashing TPA, but I suspect it's more of a device issue.

I can't wait for the PS3 release! Hopefully it'll have the darker ambient lighting scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts