BlahCade Pinball Podcast Episodes (128 and higher)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Can't come up with a free 'do it all', guess it is down to EQ and some Compression to make separation in the voice areas; and such tools can be found free, but those takes a little knowhow and hands-on approach. No wonder the soundengineers are still sought after :)

YouTube Live (read, Hangouts on Air) doesn't record separate audio streams so the audio is mixed by YouTube.

Controlling the audio cancelling is not too easy when you're dealing with a merged stream, consuming audio coming from opposite sides of the world. ;) Interestingly, because Chris sets up the podcast as the host, the host always has precedence over all other participants in YouTube Live.

I am using a trial of Hindenburg Journalist to do the post-production at the moment.
It does some auto-levelling and compression automatically.
If you have noticed an improvement in sound quality over the last few episodes it is because of this tool.
If you haven't let me know because the trial expires this week and it is $100 to buy.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BlahCade #138: Yoku’s Island Express

Chris found a new thing on Steam this week that shows a lot of promise for platformer fans who like a pinball aesthetic.
Arcooda have got their Arcooda Pinball Arcade product into the hands of cabinet enthusiasts.
It's early on, but there is definitely the framework for an excellent product and development is rapidly progressing.
Check out http://blahcadepinball.com/138-yokus-island for show notes and links to all the stuff we talk about on the show.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I decided to install Zaccaria on Steam after reading this and there is some *serious* action happening over there. Their Remake tables are not a half-arsed affair at all. They have really taken the theme of each table and run with it.

Android may as well be a totally different game compared to Steam. Definitely worth a nod in the podcast next week. Thanks for keeping us honest, Crawley.

In regards to the mobile version of Zaccaria, about 4 months ago, someone on their Facebook page asked them why they don't update it, and this was their reply:

There is too much development gap between the old iOS/Android build and the current PC version. That's why the PC version will be re-released for iOS and Android as a new application with higher hardware requirements.

Just figured I'd toss that out there, not sure how many people actually saw it.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I am using a trial of Hindenburg Journalist to do the post-production at the moment.
Well I had a look at it and it seems like a neat little program for radio production on the go.
It really is too bad you don't have separate streams as that would probably do a ton of difference if this program can either take more channels in or run an instance on each stram.

Sure, the podcasts might sound a bit more even now (compression doing its thing maybe) but is it worth $100 when it is hobbled by the streamingservice (says the guy who spends 5.000+$ each year on instruments and studio gear, lol ). I mean, you might get the same results using Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor and SlickEQ - they got free versions of both; a bit more setting up though. EDIT: oops, forgot you might not have a DAW of any kind to run the plug-ins through... But there are free DAWs too, but now we are talking seriously taking space on your computer and a learning curve if you not already is a user (Cakewalk Sonar Platinum is free now!) END EDIT

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Jared and Chriss , I watch you guys on YouTube now . I just want to say I love the chinwag between you , the tech stuff just goes straight over my head :confused:;) , the info is great and I do get a good laugh , thanks !!! :cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Jared and Chriss , I watch you guys on YouTube now . I just want to say I love the chinwag between you , the tech stuff just goes straight over my head :confused:;) , the info is great and I do get a good laugh , thanks !!! :cool:

Fantastic! The tech stuff goes over my head too 🤪

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I hadn't listened to the podcasts for ages, but during the past week I did a fair bit of flying so downloaded and listened to 3 recent ones (Bobby interview, WMS speculation, Arcooda). Really enjoyed them all particularly the Arcooda one and the humourous WMS licence speculation (man your brains are highly imaginative ;)).

I kind of am hoping Zen might get the licences as long as they keep it authentic and real - ie: Don't want to see ball trails, glowing pinballs and Eugene Jarvis walking around on the Defender table :).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I hadn't listened to the podcasts for ages, but during the past week I did a fair bit of flying so downloaded and listened to 3 recent ones (Bobby interview, WMS speculation, Arcooda). Really enjoyed them all particularly the Arcooda one and the humourous WMS licence speculation (man your brains are highly imaginative ;)).

I kind of am hoping Zen might get the licences as long as they keep it authentic and real - ie: Don't want to see ball trails, glowing pinballs and Eugene Jarvis walking around on the Defender table :).

We like hearing this kind of feedback! And I agree that I'd want the tables to be authentic. Or at least that first, and then do other stuff as an option. I'd love for someone to do photo realistic versions too.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BlahCade #139: Fully Sicario, Bro!

We have a mixture of things to talk about on the show, but the highlight is news about the cabinet pricing for Arcooda.

We also think about what it would take for us to re-purchase a table in TPA if it was re-released by another company (we still live in hope someone has picked up the license).

See http://blahcadepinball.com/139-fully-sicario-bro for show notes and links to what we talk about in this episode.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
We like hearing this kind of feedback! And I agree that I'd want the tables to be authentic. Or at least that first, and then do other stuff as an option. I'd love for someone to do photo realistic versions too.

I do a fair bit of flying (mostly 1.5 hour flights in Europe) and normally I don't listen to anything so the flight usually feels like forever. These podcasts made the time shoot by so I will definitely will be listening to them going forward :). Many thanks to you both for putting them together.

Agree it would be amazing to see some photo-realistic tables of real-life tables - ie: Pro Pinball Ultra quality... but that took forever and a day sadly.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BlahCade #140: Arcooda Cabinet Hands-on

We get straight into the thick of it this week with a deep-dive into how the Kinect Views on the Arcooda Video Pinball cabinet actually work in reality.

There are some definite caveats to the feedback Chris has about the cabinet version Farsight have, and we're pretty transparent about these in the show.

If you're on the fence about putting money down on the cabinet and don't have time to listen to the show at the moment we both feel it would be safe to do so.

To find out why you'll just have to listen.

Make sure to check out http://blahcadepinball.com/140-arcooda-cabinet-hands-on for show notes and extensive linking to things we talk about.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
Good podcast.
One thing: You state that the “egg shape ball” is something that may be most noticeable on a VPCabs Vertigo. Actually, I don’t think that any of the several VPCabs Vertigo owners on here have complained much about this so-called cabinet view defect. I stated in that thread that I noticed it one time — very fleetingly — while playing the “Genie” table. I also stated in that thread that members experiencing the issue may simply not have their playfields “dialed in” properly.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Good podcast.
One thing: You state that the “egg shape ball” is something that may be most noticeable on a VPCabs Vertigo. Actually, I don’t think that any of the several VPCabs Vertigo owners on here have complained much about this so-called cabinet view defect. I stated in that thread that I noticed it one time — very fleetingly — while playing the “Genie” table. I also stated in that thread that members experiencing the issue may simply not have their playfields “dialed in” properly.

Thats interesting considering it stressed out codinghorror enough to fund a refund.....someeople are too cheap...no real offense towho picked it up but show some self restraint and cavet emptor etc etc tackyniess irks me

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BlahCade #141: Spacies Fireside Chat

Well, it's official. You can no longer purchase WMS tables from Farsight. It's a bit of a sad day and an end of an era for Farsight Studios, but it could be the beginning of a brand new phase for the studio. Time will tell.

We shirk the bad vibes and have a chat with Greg Holden from Spacies Arcade, who did a great YouTube Vlog on the Arcooda Video Pinball cabinet. He's got a host of great questions from the communities' viewpoint, which makes for a great perspective and a great show.

http://blahcadepinball.com/141-spacies-fireside-chat for show notes, episode link, and links to Greg's Vlog

suplrist

Jun 22, 2018
I guess I'm a couple days early for 142 but I watched the YouTube video of it and it seems you guys haven't mentioned the BIG ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM for the last two episodes. Certainly the first omission could possibly be due to recording date or time, but to not mention it in this weeks episode must be deliberate. Why not talk about it?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I guess I'm a couple days early for 142 but I watched the YouTube video of it and it seems you guys haven't mentioned the BIG ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM for the last two episodes. Certainly the first omission could possibly be due to recording date or time, but to not mention it in this weeks episode must be deliberate. Why not talk about it?
You mean the possibility of the license being picked up by someone else?

I think we've speculated about as much as we can about that topic? It's hard trying to find another angle to talk about regarding that.

Have we missed something? Did you want us to go down the rabbit hole with something that's been eating away at you?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.