Bobby King Interview 2 (PS3)

Would you download a new large core game to fix the DLC issues?

• Yes! I don't want to stick with what we have.

Votes: 66 94.3%
  • No! What we have is good enough!

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I couldn't say, but for example, the space between flippers on MM have been decreased (it's obvious when you watch first videos). This fix comes with a patch (not possible according to the interview) or have they modified the DLC file?

It's not clear at all.^^

It's possible--they had to update Monster Bash, for instance, to fix that bug in Frankenstein multiball or whatever that gave you a jackpot every time you nudged. But Sony discourages doing it unless in cases of really bad bugs like that. So I was sort of hoping someone would discover a crash bug in Genie, for instance. ; )

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's funny because another thing that was said...somewhere? I think?...was that we can't be like getting updated versions of the DLC by deleting our install and redownloading everything because that would make Sony look silly and confuse their customers, but that has to be weighed against people in the know knowing that the PS3 version is the version with the bugs that can't be fixed--that doesn't really make Sony look so good, either.

I said that. And no, apart from Sony's policy toward DLC, it doesn't make them look bad. They just point the finger to FarSight and say, "hey we didn't make it this way, they did".

That being said, Sony's rule about not updating DLC is antiquated and needs to be rethought in the same way they are rethinking charging patch fees. This is one more thing that puts their consoles at a disadvantage versus mobile platforms. Putting developers in a position where they need to go through this whole re-release process for the entire game just to fix some issues in certain locked DLC libraries is ridiculous.

Know what Sony's answer to this is? Hey look! It's the PS4!!

They admitted as much in their press conference, saying the way DLC is today has changed drastically since the PS3, and they're on top of it. Slim to no hope that it will trickle down to PS3. They're done with it, they've moved on.

I would gladly download any size update to correct this. I hope that the PC version won't be held back by x360 issues. If the PS3 won't receive any updates I will switch to PC asap.

Here's what we really need to keep an eye out for. Not so much the PC release, but when Xbox gets tables again. Because if those tables have all the bugs the PS3 does, there really is no hope. Those files are in their office, not out for submission to MS. If they are pristine in presentation, then the push for TPA 2 on PS3 should really be sought. If they aren't, no point.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
People actually voted no on this?? ..... wtf?

There's probably someone out there with a dial-up connection playing TPA on an old CRT TV that wouldn't notice any benefit. Or someone's just being a jackass about it.. :confused:

Know what Sony's answer to this is? Hey look! It's the PS4!!

They admitted as much in their press conference, saying the way DLC is today has changed drastically since the PS3, and they're on top of it. Slim to no hope that it will trickle down to PS3. They're done with it, they've moved on.

Well its good at least that they've announced an expiration date for their bad policies.. too bad its not immediate though.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I said that. And no, apart from Sony's policy toward DLC, it doesn't make them look bad. They just point the finger to FarSight and say, "hey we didn't make it this way, they did".

Yeah but people aren't necessarily going to look that far. I mean, you ask online or something which is the better platform to buy on, you might just get told "avoid the PS3 version, it's buggy and doesn't get patched."

Anyway it's good to know Sony's at least got the DLC patching sorted out for the PS4, I hadn't heard that before.

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
I wish I could switch platforms with no repercussions because I feel like I got screwed hard right now.
Oh well. I gave them the money, I guess...

Lazareth

Apr 13, 2013
Hmm, I just got a PS3 a few months ago and when I found Pinball Arcade I jumped all over it, I now own every table...but now I'm starting to find bugs and stuff and they can't be fixed, is this correct? I thought the games would be patched if they were messed up...I'm getting a bad feeling about this...

I voted yes for sure. Come on, help us out here. Sigh...I always resisted getting into the latest gen game system stuff because of all of this DLC patch crap but finally gave in. And now I'm right in the middle of it, buggy games and waiting for patches that may or may not ever come out...after I paid the cash of course.. I miss the days when games were released only when QA really did their jobs and passed the products through. I'm trying not to become bitter about this but....

Why aren't these games beta tested with some of the best players right here on this forum for a month or two, I wouldn't mind waiting at all...the bugs would be found and could be dealt with before setting them in stone as it seems to be the case for PS3. What's going on here?

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I'm more concerned about the Vita version. The newer tables look absolutely awful, and it's really disappointing that they can't do anything about it.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
let's see the data on who voted... I want to know who the few people are that voted "no" so that I can mentally brand them with shame.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Not left behind exactly, we'll still be getting tables, but yeah we don't get table fixes like other platforms do. It's funny because another thing that was said...somewhere? I think?...was that we can't be like getting updated versions of the DLC by deleting our install and redownloading everything because that would make Sony look silly and confuse their customers, but that has to be weighed against people in the know knowing that the PS3 version is the version with the bugs that can't be fixed--that doesn't really make Sony look so good, either.

Another wrinkle for us is that as time goes by this means our old and un-tweaked tables and shared leaderboard scores are having to try to keep pace with those other platforms that get fixes and tweaks, gar. Another reason why a platform-specific leaderboard--or at least leaderboard filtering option--would be nice.

I never thought about how this would affect the leader boards, damn the news just gets worse. :(

Hmm, I just got a PS3 a few months ago and when I found Pinball Arcade I jumped all over it, I now own every table...but now I'm starting to find bugs and stuff and they can't be fixed, is this correct? I thought the games would be patched if they were messed up...I'm getting a bad feeling about this...

I voted yes for sure. Come on, help us out here. Sigh...I always resisted getting into the latest gen game system stuff because of all of this DLC patch crap but finally gave in. And now I'm right in the middle of it, buggy games and waiting for patches that may or may not ever come out...after I paid the cash of course.. I miss the days when games were released only when QA really did their jobs and passed the products through. I'm trying not to become bitter about this but....

Why aren't these games beta tested with some of the best players right here on this forum for a month or two, I wouldn't mind waiting at all...the bugs would be found and could be dealt with before setting them in stone as it seems to be the case for PS3. What's going on here?

I also have all the tables and that news was just a kick in the guts, some of these tables do need to be fixed and now we find they cant, such sad news for us PS3 owners of the game, i think at this stage i will hold off on buying any more PS3 tables and hope the team wont abandon us PS3 owners and that they have a little something up their sleeve to sort all the issues with the PS3 tables, but yeah such a kicker.

I still have faith they will find a way round all this, and as i said already i am quite willing to drop cash on a new version of the base game if it allows them to sort the tables out and allows us to use all our present and future tables while continuing to support them, a bit like what ZP 2 did, allows you to import your tables over.

Last edited:

Lazareth

Apr 13, 2013
The last table pack I bought, Taxi and Harley Davidson, pushed me too far...espeically after hearing about this patch issue with PS3...Davidson is BROKEN...it is UNPLAYABLE...the multiball issue causing the game to sit there with no balls on the board, just stuck with no way out but to quit the game, is rubbish. And they can't patch it because Sony won't let them? Then I want my money back because it does not play as advertised (functioning).

Bah...its not that great of a table anyway imo, don't know why they'd choose it over so many others...keep my money (not that I'd get it back anyway). I believe Taxi is buggy as well though I've yet to have it happen to me yet. I just don't know. I bought these games with the idea that bugs would eventually get fixed...if that's not true it will certainly influence my decision to buy further table packs for Pinball Arcade. I will now wait to read reports from others willing to go for it. If they come up badly bugged I will not purchase them no matter how much I may like the tables offered. Sorry but this issue is serious with me.

Please create version 2.0, or get something sorted out with Sony, so the games I bought that are buggy can be repaired as they should be. I agree with Firefox2000, I'm even willing to purchase an updated version of Pinball Arcade 2.0 to facilitate the changes you need to get your products working as advertised. How much further can the consumer meet you on this? That's more than half way I'd say...Don't burn us please....

Last edited:

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
Yep thats what I say too. This news is very sad. :(

If FS doesn't offer a new download, they can say goodbye to any further PS3 revenue. FS needs to turn this ship around, it's heading toward an iceberg. *foghorn*

You don't speak for everyone.

Personally, I haven't stumbled across any game breakers in a long while except for TZ being all screwy after the first LITZ. The gameplay is fine, it's the graphics that need work. I don't get the stuck multiball cams on any other table like people are reporting. But still, all the inconsistencies are simply unacceptable.

Unfortunately this is what software development has become, folks. **** companies like FS who are mostly shovelware devs try to take on projects too ambitious for their own good and look what we have here with TPA. Trying to rush out their product every month with minimal QA to make a buck is eventually going to catch up to you after a while.

To be blunt, this company needs to stick to making shovelware on consoles. If you can't get it right after a year, you don't deserve to be in business. The only thing keeping the company alive are the sheep at this point.

boy-oh-boy

Mar 3, 2013
bad news for us ps3 players. i will stop buying tables right now and wait for the pc version. i dont want to support a dead system with no more fixes.
i only want to know how they will do the 3d for the ps3 later on without patching the tables.
i cant help myself but i feel more like a cashcow than a customer. i have to pay all the tables again on pc if i want to play bug free pinball...fs help us and dont leave us alone wiht our problems please---

Billy Fishtale

Mar 22, 2013
They would have known the situation long before now regarding patching tables at a later date.

And the inclination of a Pinball Arcade 2 on the PS3 what a load of waffle and Bobby knows it. It takes months to get a pack of tables out to us let alone develop a new game altogether. Can you see them developing a new game on a console that's ending its cycle in the not too distant.

Suck it up guy's we have been done up like kippers.

Last edited:

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
They would have known the situation long before now regarding patching tables at a later date.

And the inclination of a Pinball Arcade 2 on the PS3 what a load of waffle and Bobby knows it. It takes months to get a pack of tables out to us let alone develop a new game altogether. Can you see them developing a new game on a console that's ending its cycle in the not too distant.

Suck it up guy's we have been done up like kippers.

They have to make a "new" pinball arcade to release more tables on the 360. That is probably more likely to have support dropped sooner than the ps3 if last gen is any indication. They can release the new ps3 one when they release the new 360 if they were determined.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
... i only want to know how they will do the 3d for the ps3 later on without patching the tables. ...

That is a very good question. They'll need to upload some new textures with the 3D update right? Maybe that can use that as an opportunity to change some of the old stuff out..

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Oh? Where did you hear that?

I think I read more on this but this is all I could find for a quick look

" FarSight has selected a new publisher for the Xbox 360 version of the Pinball Arcade! We are in the final stages of finalizing the contract. This process has taken months – as game publishing deals often do. With our previous publisher’s bankruptcy involved, it is extraordinarily complicated in terms of the Pinball Arcade.

We anticipate submitting this new version of the Pinball Arcade in January. FarSight has been assured that all previous purchases can and will be entitled when we re-launch. We will keep you updated as best we can and announce when we have firm release dates. The plan is for Twilight Zone and Star Trek: The Next Generation (free for kickstarter backers) to be available as DLC from day one. "

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...e-Christmas-Days?p=46667&viewfull=1#post46667

I think do to the publisher change they needed a new base product. If they are releasing a new 360 version ... why not toss a proper PS3 one up at the point?

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
So glad I stopped at table pack 3. The writing was on the wall by then as all the graphics bugs being diligently reported on here were being overlooked with only core game engine tweaks being issued. It has been hard to sit back and wait for fixes before buying more as some of the tables are so tempting. But personally, the biggest barrier for me beyond any visual flaws has always been the flipper lag and yet over a year after release it still exists, albeit in a reduced form.

I find the explanation surrounding PS3 update issues falls a little short too, as there have been updates for games that have provided significant visual overhauls (off the top of my head Bioshock was one - it received a large update with improved textures for various parts of the game).

Whilst I find the concept of Pinball Arcade an excellent one, the creeping reality has been somewhat of a disappointment. That is not to say that I haven't had much enjoyment from Pinball Arcade; it has provided a good number of hours of entertainment. Where it has fallen short is in the goal of accurately reproducing and preserving these increasingly rare games in digital form as a museum like collection.

With the admission that Farsight are now looking at projects beyond pinball for the future, I can only hope another software company will pick up the mantle in the future once contracts with Stern et al, become available again.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.