BREAKING NEWS: New Difficulty Mode w/ Separate Leaderboards Coming!

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I would add Harley Davidson, Class of 1812 (definitely), Dr Dude, Haunted House and Dracula.

I could agree with HH probably. The others would only benefit from removing extra balls or desperately need it in the case of Dr. Dude.

I mean we are talking about tournament settings here.

e: After giving Dr. Dude a decent thrashing I'll revise my opinion and say the EBs aren't a huge issue, but are still too easy to repeat for tournament purposes. There are way more egregious examples in the game though.

Last edited:

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
One thing that would go a long way towards "normalizing" scores, would be to take away the ability to pause the game infinitely (or even let the game sit with a ball in the plunger).

The other would be (as mentioned) simply removing the EB's from the game's rom, and adding more randomness to kickouts. I think these alone would be enough to make tables more difficult w/o going the route of removing posts/rubbers/etc.

Last edited:

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Do you want to run a poll on the fans site to get people to vote for the top 8 tables for us to add a tournament difficulty setting for? Once we get this in, we'll have a tournament featuring those 8 tables."[/I]

Woohoo!

Be on the lookout for the poll soon, and PLEASE vote for the marathon tables that really need this treatment. I'm looking at you Twilight Zone, Scared Stiff, Funhouse, etc.

[/B]

Just wanted to make clear that tournament mode doesn't always mean extra balls are being turned off, there is a seperate setting in operators menu to turn extra balls off. I hope Bobby and farsight are perfectly aware of this so they don't just set the pins to tournament mode only as this won't make much difference on some tables. I think no extra balls are highest priority.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Even no extra balls on a lost of tables aren't enough. I can go on for hours on TZ with three balls.

Keep in mind, from Jeff's post:

"I emailed Bobby again to find out and this is his reply:

'They'll have different nudge strengths, physics, collisions, and ROM settings.

Physics/collisions settings I'm planning on:
More sensitive and stronger slingshots
Steeper table angle
More sensitive tilt
Less nudge
Wider outlanes'"

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I would include Creature with those, even above MB and AfM. The returns to the flippers from both the pops and from the left saucer lane are far too friendly.

CFTBL and BoP are in the same boat: the same shot again and again (main ramp) and nothing else really to do.
-> On CFTBL, miss the snack bar shot (without trapping the ball for example) occurs most of the time a STDM.
-> On BoP, aim for anything other than the "billion" ramp can send the ball to outlanes (by playing really wildly).

That's why I don't think the new difficulty setting would benefit to those tables. Make them harder would not make a big difference: at the end, you will still make the same shot again and again.

fromduc

Feb 28, 2014
I could agree with HH probably. The others would only benefit from removing extra balls or desperately need it in the case of Dr. Dude.

I mean we are talking about tournament settings here.

e: After giving Dr. Dude a decent thrashing I'll revise my opinion and say the EBs aren't a huge issue, but are still too easy to repeat for tournament purposes. There are way more egregious examples in the game though.

Dont think Class of 1812 would benefit from removing EBS, the table is really a killer, it took me 1h15 for makin a top 5, no interest for me to make the game quicker here....

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
CFTBL and BoP are in the same boat: the same shot again and again (main ramp) and nothing else really to do.
-> On CFTBL, miss the snack bar shot (without trapping the ball for example) occurs most of the time a STDM.
-> On BoP, aim for anything other than the "billion" ramp can send the ball to outlanes (by playing really wildly).

That's why I don't think the new difficulty setting would benefit to those tables. Make them harder would not make a big difference: at the end, you will still make the same shot again and again.

Tournament mode BOP will have more rejections from the center ramp. it will not be so easy to get the Backdoor Billion. :) and every failed shot will probably go screaming straight down the middle at high velocity. add the weakened nudging onto that, and the game will be more difficult.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Try playing the tables on an iPad or Android pad. Your difficulty level goes through the roof compared to PC. I know on the iPad most times if I pause for more then 10 min or so the game resets so pausing isn't even an issue.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Try playing the tables on an iPad or Android pad. Your difficulty level goes through the roof compared to PC. I know on the iPad most times if I pause for more then 10 min or so the game resets so pausing isn't even an issue.

Lock the screen rotation before starting a game. I can pause a game on my iPad over night reliably. Rotating the screen is what is crashing the game when paused.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Really, if they want to raise difficulty they need to totally overhaul the nudging and sliding system; a total rethink.
Analog is the way to go, one can't have it all - and making a difficult working nudge system in the on/off digital keyboard way seems improbable.

And a year is not that long in Farsight Time :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts