Centaur vs Pin*Bot (which is better?)

Centaur or Pin*Bot

• Total voters

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Finally got to DEMO these and they play really well. PIN*BOT is PIN*BOT thats a good thing, CETAUR the sounds are awsome cant wait to crank the knob on this one but I could have sworn the outlane rebound posts were higher? maybe its the pitch I could only get return balls on the right side.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Centaur seemed like a classic when it was new. Different from the rest and yet so familiar at the same time. Pin*Bot has always been iconic to me. From the plunger shot up the cork screw to the pin field, the matrix of lights triggered by the rows and columns of targets, the epic opening of the door to reveal the ball locks...just so much iconic stuff.

They both fill different pinball niches for me. I wouldn't pick between them. I want both! :D

ktronis

Mar 22, 2013
I guess I'm way in the minority on this one. I voted Pinbot as I really don't like Centaur. Centaur has okay game play to me, but the black-and-white scheme does nothing for me, and my gosh, that repetitive background soundtrack is beyond annoying. I don't recall this game in real life and just a vague memory of Pinbot.

N

netizen

"My life was dull, my life was drab, 'til I acquired the gift of gab! Always be excellent - never be rude. Get the gift of gab from Dr. Dude!"

Wasn't it not too long ago that the forum was bemoaning something like this?

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
Pin*Bot has a huge nostalgia factor for me. I'd never even heard of Centaur before the poll way back when, but now that the table is released, I love the ruleset. Love 'em both.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
just noticed while playing centaur demo every time the ball hits the left slingshot there is what looks like a lit blue insert appearing to the left outside the table whaaa whaaa whaaaa:(

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Aluminum. Pronounced "Al-oo-minum". NOT "Al-oo-min-eeum".

Leave us dumb Americans alone.:D

Those Brits are always pronouncing and spelling words incorrectly... who the heck taught those guys to speak English?

BeO

Mar 5, 2012
When I downloaded Centaur I was a bit worried that I wouldn't like the gameplay. I've only seen pictures of the real pin, never had the opportunity to see it/play it IRL, but I love the artwork and wouldn't mind getting one just based on that.

So, watching the Android forum for the beta link to appear, downloaded and gave it a go. And I just love it :) I must get one of these machines some day.

Pin*Bot, never played that one either before and was pleasantly surprised. A solid table with plenty of action.
Combined, one of the best table packs released so far.

But if I'm gonna pick one for my game room, it will be Centaur.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Played Centaur a couple of days before it was available on TPA, released a couple of Orbs, had a great time on it.

Nice table with slightly unusual feature, nice chance to save a ball when it goes down an outlane too.

Pinbot is great too, reminds me of PHOF in how brutal it can sometimes be! :D

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
As someone who voted for 8BD in that poll, i'm glad that Centaur made it in. I like both tables but i think Centaur ekes it out

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
I can't choose. Pin*Bot is a sentimental favorite for me. When I was at university, the student union arcade got all the pinballs of the era, and I played tons of PB. We didn't have Centaur, although I've played it at pinball shows in the last few years. They're both great. Pinbot's music is classic, although the sound quality on the iphone/ipad is oddly tinny for some reason. It should sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWMJ58aFBw

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I HATED Pinbot when I was growing up. It took me a long time to get over my dislike for that pin.
Centaur,OTOH - I've never played or seen one in person. That being said,the TPA version has grown on me fast & it is one of my favorite pins now. So my vote goes to both.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I was taken to the store as a kid and got to choose a video game as a reward. To this day I'm sure why I picked Pinbot for NES, maybe it was the packaging, but I was hooked. That game started me down a life of playing virtual pins. I was finally able to play the real table last year at a local store and it was amazing. I think this was my most anticipated table and it did NOT let me down (Except for the local highscores not saving).

Centaur was a VERY nice surprise. I had no idea it was a 5 ball game. LOVE the constant multiball, the artwork is fantastic, and the ruleset is awesome. I've always been more of a DMD guy, but this recent string of early SS's has me rethinking that. Space Shuttle is another one that I have grown to love.

Thank you Farsight for giving me a HUGE piece of my childhood back. Cheers!

anonymatt

Jan 12, 2013
OMG, I knew the Brits' speech impediment caused them to say jaguar "jag-you-are", but I never in a million years would have thought they said "cent-tuh-are" or something.

TPA Centaur's outlane save is a little bogus. Maybe I'll get the knack of it. I did it a couple of times and it looked like the ball glitched its way through, like the ball got a little help from outside the physics engine. IRL, it's super easy to do, there is no trick to it. Just like Indiana Jones.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
TPA Centaur's outlane save is a little bogus. Maybe I'll get the knack of it. I did it a couple of times and it looked like the ball glitched its way through, like the ball got a little help from outside the physics engine...

I saw that too. The same thing happens on Genie with the gate coming out of the ball launcher if the ball just barely reaches it. It was confirmed for Genie that the physics engine does give a little help prevent the ball from getting stuck in the gate. I have to believe the same thing was done on Centaur for the same reason.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4304-Physics-issue

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
How could I be so wrong about a table like Centaur? I voted with hate both, but because of the tournament I bought the table pack (well done, Farsight, mission accomplished ;) ) and now Centaur is one of my favourite tables. Plus it's now the first table where I managed to get all wizard goals -woohoo :)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I gotta give the edge to Pinbot, but having never seen or played a real Centaur, I just have to go on my TPA experience. For me, the awesome visor, great music and sounds (due to the more advanced chips), simple to learn but hard to master rule set, and versatile gameplay puts PB just ahead of CT (though those frustrating outlanes nearly take it away), though I have to admit, both are really good, and complement each other nicely. At first, I expected this to be another crap pack, like the notorious DD and FP, but now I think it's the first one in a long time in which I play both tables equally often.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.