Chicago Pinball Expo 2014 (pics)

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Was there myself - what an experience!!

Got to play some great games I've never seen in person before, and even set a HS for the day on NGG, one of my favorite Lawlor tables.

I was seriously bummed to find out that the "modern" Flip-Out tournament was nothing but newer Stern tables. I mena, I get it they were sponsoring it, but I have ZERO experience playing Mustang, TWD, Iron Man, WPT, and the one or two others they had up there. After getting a chance to play WOZ and see what Jersey Jack is putting out, I was less impressed than ever with what Stern is doing - which is basically, a "nothing new since 1996" approach. Jersey Jack has MUCH higher build quality, IMO, and WOZ/HOB is what a 21st century pinball machine should look at play like. Especially for the price tags.

Walking Dead is a big old pile of meh. There is nothing to do - hit a couple ramps, bang the fat zombie in the middle and watch your balls go SDTM. Garbage. Tired layout, nothing really ties the gameplay to the theme, just a really uninspired effort trying to cash in on the popularity of the TV show.

The factory tour was cool, however I found it rather offputting that the Expo was charging $50 to do a tour that's FREE just by going to the factory any day of the week. But hey, we got to cram full-sized adults into school busses for the trip! :/

All in all a good time. The machines were great, the people were friendly and the vibe was awesome. I played for 8 hrs straight once the game hall opened on Thursday at 6. Man, my feet hurt after that lol!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts