Chicago Pinball Expo 2014 (pics)

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Was there myself - what an experience!!

Got to play some great games I've never seen in person before, and even set a HS for the day on NGG, one of my favorite Lawlor tables.

I was seriously bummed to find out that the "modern" Flip-Out tournament was nothing but newer Stern tables. I mena, I get it they were sponsoring it, but I have ZERO experience playing Mustang, TWD, Iron Man, WPT, and the one or two others they had up there. After getting a chance to play WOZ and see what Jersey Jack is putting out, I was less impressed than ever with what Stern is doing - which is basically, a "nothing new since 1996" approach. Jersey Jack has MUCH higher build quality, IMO, and WOZ/HOB is what a 21st century pinball machine should look at play like. Especially for the price tags.

Walking Dead is a big old pile of meh. There is nothing to do - hit a couple ramps, bang the fat zombie in the middle and watch your balls go SDTM. Garbage. Tired layout, nothing really ties the gameplay to the theme, just a really uninspired effort trying to cash in on the popularity of the TV show.

The factory tour was cool, however I found it rather offputting that the Expo was charging $50 to do a tour that's FREE just by going to the factory any day of the week. But hey, we got to cram full-sized adults into school busses for the trip! :/

All in all a good time. The machines were great, the people were friendly and the vibe was awesome. I played for 8 hrs straight once the game hall opened on Thursday at 6. Man, my feet hurt after that lol!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts