Continued delays are *really* beginning to irritate me.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
wtf? that is hilarious.... farsight is ridiciulous

I think you mean Sony is ridiculous. Although Sony doesn't own Lionsgate (who acquired Summit Entertainment about a year ago), they have very strong ties with them and didn't want to interfere with (or seem like they were piggybacking) the release of Breaking Dawn Part 2.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I don't think anyone ever confused Twilight Zone with Twilight, I think the issue here is more likely lawyers that are being over-cautious, with good reason.

Basically, names used in promotion are registered trademarks independent of what it is the name of. This goes for part of names, as well. See the issue with Mojang's "Scrolls" game, getting in trouble because Bethesda figured it was infringing on their "Elder Scrolls" brand. Most likely, the owners of Twilight got the brand name hogged across all sorts of media, including video games. I doubt they would be stupid enough to sue an item based on a 60 year old TV series, but I can understand why Sony's legal department are taking their precautions.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Back in the late 70's or early 80's a little computer company named Apple showed up on the radar of an influential record label also named Apple. After exchanging letters Apple, the little computer company, and Apple the record label agreed to coexist after Apple the computer company agreed that they would never go into the music business. Fast forward 25 years and Apple the record label sues Apple the computer company after iTunes makes Apple the computer company the largest music distributor ever. Apple the record label loses. In the late 70's Apple the record label probably could have done more to protect their name but they were being nice. See where that got them? When it comes to intellectual property you either protect it or you give up your rights to it.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
When it comes to intellectual property you either protect it or you give up your rights to it.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that this is more true of trademarks, specifically, than of other types of intellectual property. If your trademark becomes a generic term for something ("zipper" being one of the classic horror stories), you lose grounds to sue for infringement. So you have to be aggressive from the outset. I don't think it's as true of copyright or patents.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that this is more true of trademarks, specifically, than of other types of intellectual property. If your trademark becomes a generic term for something ("zipper" being one of the classic horror stories), you lose grounds to sue for infringement. So you have to be aggressive from the outset. I don't think it's as true of copyright or patents.

I think you are correct. What I was saying was that perhaps Apple the record label gave up too much in their 1986 settlement with Apple the computer company that opened the door to losing the iTunes fight years later. In the end I think it worked out for both companies but lawyers are particularly diligent when it comes to protecting their clients' IP and in protecting their clients' from infringement on other's IPs.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I don't think anyone ever confused Twilight Zone with Twilight, I think the issue here is more likely lawyers that are being over-cautious, with good reason.

Basically, names used in promotion are registered trademarks independent of what it is the name of. This goes for part of names, as well. See the issue with Mojang's "Scrolls" game, getting in trouble because Bethesda figured it was infringing on their "Elder Scrolls" brand. Most likely, the owners of Twilight got the brand name hogged across all sorts of media, including video games. I doubt they would be stupid enough to sue an item based on a 60 year old TV series, but I can understand why Sony's legal department are taking their precautions.

Despite (The Twilight/Twilight Zone thing, not your post) this being the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I would imagine that the original IP would have to prevail here, not only because it's older but because "Twilight" is the smaller part of Twilight Zone.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I just went through my download history for release dates of DLC and theres no pattern or consistency.
GAME 6/6
DLC #1 6/26
DLC #2 6/26 had to re-download the demo to get these to work
DLC #3 9/4
DLC#4 9/25
DLC#6 10/30 rushed out elvira in time for halloween
DLC #5 11/6
Then TZ and STTNG get rushed out to please the kickstarter backers understandable but nothing else during the holidays when people are spending money like crazy. If the next DLC is coming in february that will be the longest gap between DLC.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
well then **** sony, twilight, stephanie meyers, lionsgate and most of all lawyers...

I just want to play some pinball lol

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
How_b3a304_722933.jpg

Edan-Grossman

Jan 19, 2013
Well, We got 6 more days until we get the some of the new tables. Any suggestions how to pass the time?

I am really looking forward to Big Shot, because I found it to be surprisingly addictive during the little bit of time I had with it on the ipad.

I just hope that the schedule will become more consistent from now on.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The title of this thread makes me think of the crazy castle guy on MM. I can just about hear him say: "These delays are driving me crazier!" :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.