Details on PC Cabinet support for TPA

ralfpaul

May 20, 2013
Agree. The lighting is the only main problem for me too. If they could just tone down the lights under the flippers, that would be a start.
Portrait mode is a start for cabinet, a logical start. I want backglass support and DMD support also, even BAM support. But the first thing needed is portrait. The rest can follow that but that is a starting point. I can play without backglass, I can play without DMD , I can not play for more than 10 minutes on my cab in landscape mode. I wont even purchase it until portrait comes out, it is that bad playing that way. So portrait is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. As much as i am liking the PC version, I don't intend to go out and purchase a new PC to play TPA on. Portrait or bust!

I agree in Future the PC Version of TPA should Support cabinet including DMD and also headtracking. The cab scene is growing so it is worth implementing cab suport to TPA. Future Pinball Shows what is possible although the Ball physics of TPA is superior to FP. Furthermore TPA is running more stable than FP. Therefore I hope FS will support

Gesendet von meinem ST18i mit Tapatalk 2

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
In a way, you could think of cabinet support sort of like iCade support for the iOS version. The percentage of iOS players who actually have an iCade is pretty small compared to those who just play normally, but it's still smart to have support for it because Farsight doesn't want to exclude or alienate people who own iCades. The same is true for cabinet support on PC. Even though the majority doesn't care about it, they still need to add it...and as more and more people realize how great even just playing in portrait is, the number of people wanting this will be continuously increasing. :)

Last edited:

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
In a way, you could think of cabinet support sort of like iCade support for the iOS version. The percentage of iOS players who actually have an iCade is pretty small compared to those who just play normally, but it's still smart to have support for it because Farsight doesn't want to exclude or alienate people who own iCades. The same is true for cabinet support on PC. Even though the majority doesn't care about it, they still need to add it...and as more and more people realize how great even just playing in portrait is, the number of people wanting this will be continuously increasing. :)

That is a great analogy!
+10

Spitfire

Apr 6, 2013
Has anyone farsight or otherwise been able to add any sort of cab support such as dmd and back glass on different monitor, force feedback support etc. thx Joe

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Has anyone farsight or otherwise been able to add any sort of cab support such as dmd and back glass on different monitor, force feedback support etc. thx Joe

We have the game partially running on a virtua pin cabinet. It has dual monitor + LCD support. Still needs some more work before we can release it.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
"partially running" describes it pretty well. They should put this somewhere into the tradename.

sid8580

Dec 3, 2014
Far off? I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I expect a beta to test either this weekend or early next week.

I fear the light at the end of the tunnel was just the train after all. :)

Even if they don't make one penny on cabinet support I would think that they would want to play their own creation the best way possible. I mean it is their mission to recreate pinball tables. You would think that they would want to get it on a cab as soon as they could. They don't even have a cabinet at their place yet. I can't see it happening any time soon. I am pessimist, I hope I am wrong. Sure doesn't seem like it though.

I do think it would return, even if people didnt want / use it. It is a feature, a possibility that add to the value of the game. It also would add regular 2nd Screen support one canassume, so there are alot more people who have that.

Good to hear there is progress though. I will consinder start building a cab when PA support it. Until then, i will tinker on my pinball controller. :D

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Cab support will help sell TPA. It helps win the Virtual Pinball community backing, it looks good at expos where a lot of people will discover TPA and buy it with the long term plan in mind 'I might build a cab later as the software supports it'. I often buy software with features I might want later on 'just in case', for example driving games with G27 support, etc. although I might not ever build a driving cab. For example I just bought Dirt 2, Dirt 2 showdown, and Grid 2 with track packs in the Steam sale just in case I build a driving cab. I chose these titles as they support the Logictech G27 over titles that don't.

Also by having cab support for TPA a lot of publicity is gained from YouTube videos of peoples cabinets.

poposchmatzer

Dec 24, 2014
I still build a virtual cabinet after reading the cab support announcement from FS a year ago. But without cab support I don't have the mood to finish it. So, come on bring it alive!

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I think people under estimate how much can be made if Farsight add the cab support.

First of all, the software. I don't own all the tables. I gave up buying them for IOS cause ive been waiting to buy them all for PC. This probably applies to others too, but then of course some will be happy buying for all platforms. If you don't have any tables for PC and the cab support comes out, then it makes sense for people to buy the lot.

Then there is the table itself. Ill have to buy mine from the USA as I don't know anyone in the UK doing this. The only place I know is VP. So, im sure there is a way for VP and TPA to both benefit here.

Then there are the parts for the table. Once again, as above.

Also there is the decals for the table. As far as im aware, these cant be purchased yet. So once again, there is a big costing for these.

Im sure TPA could also release a 'ready to play' cab. These definitely come at a price.

The total cost of building your own, or buying ready made runs in 1000's if done properly. A season pass is just £25...compare that price to a completed cab.

And im sure there are lots of other avenues like 'you tube' as mentioned above. I wouldnd dream of posting a video of myself playing TPA on my ipad. But in a real cab...that's a dsifferent story. These videos get 1000's of views. That's a whole lot of free advertising.

Cab support seems a way forward to me. I for one would invest. ;-)

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
Hey Mike... any idea of when we could get an update on the status of TPA Support for PC Cabs, Portrait mode, DX 11 in 2015?

Thanks man and Happy New Year to you and the staff!

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
We have a handful of the tables setup and working. A bunch more need the camera's done.

Then we need to do some tuning with the accelerometer and nudge/tilt.

Xbox 360 and new tables have been taking up my time, so I don't have an ETA yet.

blompottan

Jan 5, 2015
We have a handful of the tables setup and working. A bunch more need the camera's done.

Then we need to do some tuning with the accelerometer and nudge/tilt.

Xbox 360 and new tables have been taking up my time, so I don't have an ETA yet.

Can’t wait!
I pretty much gave up my cab build after hours of frustrating recalibrating my mot-ion, updating dlls, downloading roms, updating scripts and so on. It’s just too much of a hassle. Then it struck me, can perhaps TPA be an easy stable working solution? As soon as you add the cab support Il get back to work on my project.
I think the community would appreciate a few “supported” products for nudging, plunger, buttons etc.

For the record:
I have a few other pinball software’s working on my semi built cab, but it’s so time consuming and a pain to keep it up and running with all the changes.

keep it up :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Can’t wait!
I pretty much gave up my cab build after hours of frustrating recalibrating my mot-ion, updating dlls, downloading roms, updating scripts and so on. It’s just too much of a hassle. Then it struck me, can perhaps TPA be an easy stable working solution? As soon as you add the cab support Il get back to work on my project.
I think the community would appreciate a few “supported” products for nudging, plunger, buttons etc.

For the record:
I have a few other pinball software’s working on my semi built cab, but it’s so time consuming and a pain to keep it up and running with all the changes.

keep it up :)

Hopefully if TPA release the cab support it wont be complicated and I agree with you, it takes away the enjoyment of the game when you have to spend hours trying to set everything up, only to have to do it all again shortly after as some update or other comes out.

Its nice to play it on the IOS platforms, but I once setup a 'temporary cab' up at home and although it wasn't what you'd call 'a proper cab', I could see that once cab support was there, I could play the games how they should be played, and as close to the real thing as you could possibly get. The sound coming through proper speakers, table at the right height, side buttons to press with your fingers instead of thumbs on the ipad, all add to the realism. I for one cant wait, though it is frustrating as we live in a world where we want everything now. :) But even when cab support does come out, im sure there will be some degree of setup, but no doubt worth it.

If I could ask just one question, it would be to Mike Reitmeyer and that would be.....

Mike, are you able to confirm whether or not cab support will definitely be released, and (just realised this is 2 questions) do you see this as an extra purchase or free to those who own all pc tables already.

Be nice to hear from you Mike. :) How you make these tables look and play so real is beyond me. I recently attended a convention and was lucky enough to see some of the tables you recreated. It was nice to play a few of them, but I couldn't believe how much maintenance they required and how many times they broke down and had to be taken away for repair. Hopefully the Virtual Tables are a little more reliable :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts