Discussion thread about the FreeCamera Mod

Ginsonic

Sep 25, 2015
Thanks Robert,

I just tested it and the result was exactly like You described it above.
A max. desktop resolution of 1080p is currently supported, only the PBA back buffer can be raised. Then the mod works flawlessly too !
And my video card (NVIDIA GTX970) is bored beyond belief with the highest setting :p

Kudos :)

Last edited:

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Does this work with Windows 10?, as im having issues getting it working.

Have have....

1. Unzipped the porgram to c:\FCM and altered the ini file so it points to my Pinball Arcade directory
2. Started the program so it appears in the task bar
3. Loaded PBAConfig and changed display mode to Window
4. Started PinballArcade11.exe as admin

but the cameramod ui doesn't appear and the keyboard seems unresponsive, i can only get past the title screen by pressing the mouse button.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

paulohotline

May 18, 2013
Hey guys, I finally got the FreeCamera Mod working with PinballX 2.1 with all 66 TPA tables and its working great with the Backglass and DMD positioned in bottom middle on my VirtuaPin. I have been trying to resize the DMD on the backglass from the default size to make it bigger so it matches the size of the one on the playfield. I have tried using the mouse to unlock it on the backglass, I can move etc, I just cannot resize it to make it bigger. I have also tried looking in the *.ini file to see if there is any adjustment I could make.

If someone can confirm its possible to increase the size of the DMD on the backglass and the steps to this it would be great. Thanks for the great piece of software.

Edit: I was able to resize by dragging the DMD from the BG 2nd monitor to the PF larger monitor screen. Once there I can now resize by going to the edge then move it back to the 2nd monitor.

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Glad to Help Paul , it is a bit tricky getting the resize arrows to show up on the secondary screens I usually have to move the mouse cursor on and off that monitor a few times before it clicks in..but moving the dmd to the playfield is a much better idea :)

paulohotline

May 18, 2013
Glad to Help Paul , it is a bit tricky getting the resize arrows to show up on the secondary screens I usually have to move the mouse cursor on and off that monitor a few times before it clicks in..but moving the dmd to the playfield is a much better idea :)

Hey guys, has any attempt been made to hack into the DMD code and output to a real DMD as most of us with cabs have a real DMD installed? I have seen videos of farsight demoing a cab with a working STTNG DMD a few years ago so they had it going. Or better yet, just ask them to open it up on the next PC update, and output to pindmd2... why not as we are 90% to having a full cabinet mode anyway? why not give us the rest so we can stop farting around with the back glass DMD. If this is a taboo topic just let me know.

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
the camera mod doesn't change any source code, its external to the program..that would require changes from Farsight at this point they've put cab support on hold for the foreseeable future..so i wouldn't hold your breath for real dmd support anytime soon.

paulohotline

May 18, 2013
Yeap, I agree. I was hoping that the Devs at FS were reading this and just open it up in the code quietly so the DMD just starts working day :) The code is already in there, it's just a few zeros they need to change to one's :)

I can dream dammit!

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Just buy the game...

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

hopvision

Jan 31, 2016
Probably a stupid question, but is there any way to remove the silver frame/border from the DMD? It just doesn't look very good on my cabinet.

Thanks to NoEx for this awesome mod. I got started with it a few hours ago and it looks like I'm going to be up all night. ;)

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
the camera mod doesn't change any source code, its external to the program..that would require changes from Farsight at this point they've put cab support on hold for the foreseeable future..so i wouldn't hold your breath for real dmd support anytime soon.

This definitely is not true. Future Pinball was abandoned for years and someone came around and created an app that could listen to FP and output to a real DMD. It's a mod that could be done, just like FreeCamera.

Here is info on how they did it.

Here is my cabinet playing Ironman with Future Pinball and a real DMD.

NoEx

Mar 12, 2015
Yes it's doable, the DMD is located in game's memory, it can be retrieved and converted to any format (it's not as simple as that but this is how it works). I've started to work with this method to display the DMD on a NON-DMD screen when I was searching a way to achieve this some months ago, but I've done it differently and i'm keeping the memory method for further purpose.

As of the way to send it to PinDMD, it would just require a few modifications but I don't own a real DMD on my cab.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
My goodness! Let's send him some old pinDMD or donate some bucks to buy one :)
This would be epic.

paulohotline

May 18, 2013
Hey guys, the boys over at VPUniverse.com have been busy working on an open source PIN2DMD solution that works with Virtual Pins and Real Pins. The cost of this solution is around $100-120US per DMD including solder work.

basically all you need is:
1. the RGB panels
2. STM32F407 discovery board
3. few wires or a connector board

Open source pin2dmd test with Sopranos Color Rom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjv0y20O0ao&feature=youtu.be

DMD panel from china - $57 bucks shipped to Canada
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P2-5...75082626.html?spm=2114.031010208.0.491.YHDNIO

together with the Discovery STM32F4 Board
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stm32f4disco...41932ded16&clk_rvr_id=932005459215&rmvSB=true

and a little PCB we can get this thing running for around $100

SmartDMD frame detection is also done. That means you can use registered version of
pinball browser to colorize your ROM files and PIN2DMD Interface will detect the inframe
coding for the palette. For Virtual pins it’s easy. Vpinmame is doing the job.
For real pins upload a single file to a sd-card, connect the board to your display connector of your wpc-pin and you’r also done.

If you want to read about the development and progress, go here:
Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/...ible-interface-with-led-rgb-color-dmd/page-20

Mpad, I will chip in 10 bucks to get NoEx one of these bad boys so he can get the DMD output working, anyone else?

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Another question to noex:
Is it possible to set a default size for the DMD in the settings in? So I don't have to resize every single one?
Maybe only set horizontal size and start from there...

Members online

Members online