Dissapointed in the graphics (XBOX360)

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
I am playin' the game but have to open my eyes to play (I ain't TOMMY) and my eyes kinda grate a tad:D

Cheers Farsight regarding a patch 'cause it definitely needs something doin' to it.

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
For me, it's pretty simple. I was way happy to be able to play these tables at home when the Williams collection came out. On my ipad 2, these look and feel much improved from WC. If the ps3 version is even better than this, then for $10 I'm not gonna say sh#% . I absolutely love these tables so far and can't wait for more.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
@Mike

Thank you for your response.

I do understand it is difficult for you; FS is a very small studio after all. I do hope you are able to revisit these 4 initial tables in future, to fix some of these issues.

For those people who find such things "nitpicking", well without the "nitpicking", games wouldn't improve.

I hope I have provided constructive criticism, rather than just "this sucks" or "lazy developers" or "wtf ripoff!".

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
We don't have any problem with criticism, as long as it's helpful. If someone tells us the game sucks but can't give us a reason, then it's not possible for us to make it better. While we may not be able to implement every idea someone sends us, we do take them all into consideration.

We do plan to fix bugs that crop up in all tables, even ones we have already shipped. Everyone at FarSight wants this to be the best pinball game there is.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Does that include fixing the lighting on the 360 so that it's universal? I asked on FB (but it was only an hour or so ago, so I'm not concerned with the response time) but starting on TotAN and Ripley's when I first bought it, then moving onto ToM and Black Hole and finding such a drastic difference, it'd be great if there's an update that comes out sooner than later to fix that... because other than some contrast issues on the latter two that need to be tweaked, they look MUCH better IMO.

This game is like a long term GF. Nothing special (at first) to look at, but has the best peronality you could wish for and the looks grow on you day after day.

But seriously, if you notice the graphics that much, you aint playing the game!
So, a lighting patch is plastic surgery? I like this analogy ;)

Last edited:

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
Cheers Farsight, it's not that I'm not buyin' (have 'em both for iphone & 360) plus enjoyin' the play immensely. I don't begrudge the purchase cost one iota.

Jumped the gun a tad regardin' graphics. I've spent a great deal of time altering all the LCD TV options today (connect through HDMI) and sorted a display that tones down the jaggies & lighting somewhat. Thanks for looking into the lighting aspect on the 360.

If anyone else has quite a harsh picture when compared with other games I'd suggest take a note of what you normally use then adjust quite a few TV options and it may sort the harshness.

Last edited:

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
So even though we're getting it later than the 360 version we will have all the lighting and such in place, thus making our version the 'real' version for lack of a better term. It sure makes up for the longer wait I think!

Just one more day left!! Unless PSN updates after midnight XD Oh, I've seen it happen before.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
So even though we're getting it later than the 360 version we will have all the lighting and such in place, thus making our version the 'real' version for lack of a better term. It sure makes up for the longer wait I think!

Just one more day left!! Unless PSN updates after midnight XD Oh, I've seen it happen before.
"Our" version? I have an iPhone, 360, PS3 and PC. They'll all be "ours" soon enough.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I have to say that after tweaking my settings by lowering the brightness level, bumping up the contrast, and lowering the sharpness a bit, I think I may have found what FarSight was shooting for and I have to say it looks astonishing on the Xbox 360. Switching back and forth from my normal settings to the custom settings I made specifically for The Pinball Arcade, the difference is night and day. Initially I was disappointed with the over all look of TPA until I created these custom settings and found a diamond in the rough. Now, if FarSight would just tweak their default settings to make The Pinball Arcade look like this when someone boots it up, I think everyone would be very happy with the results.

I wish I had some way to capture video from my tv to show everyone the difference between the two settings.

Last edited:

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I have to say that after tweaking my settings by lowering the brightness level, bumping up the contrast, and lowering the sharpness a bit, I think I may have found what FarSight was shooting for and I have to say it looks astonishing on the Xbox 360. Switching back and forth from my normal settings to the custom settings I made specifically for The Pinball Arcade, the difference is night and day. Initially I was disappointed with the over all look of TPA until I created these custom settings and found a diamond in the rough. Now, if FarSight would just tweak their default settings to make The Pinball Arcade look like this when someone boots it up, I think everyone would be very happy with the results.

I wish I had some way to capture video from my tv to show everyone the difference between the two settings.

can you capture pictures or video via phone? you can't tease and then not let us take part ;-)

HeYjOe

Feb 20, 2012
:D I don't really need a comparison photo 'cause I felt the same immediately I booted TPA. The difference after quite a bit of tweaking is "night & day". Some guy postin' on facebook had me wondering when he stated "those complaining about the graphics should alter their LCD settings"

Ammonitida

Apr 6, 2012
We do read every comment on facebook and as much as we can here. We can't always respond because most of our time is spent working on fixing issues with our current tables, implementing our next tables, and adding new features. I try to respond to a few comments on here every day, unfortunatly I don't always have enough time to do so. Also understand that my answers are limited to what managment has announced, and I can't comment on features we plan to implement or not.

@Ammonitida - I'm curious about the tilt issues you are seeing. Does the table seem to be nudging (shaking) even when you aren't doing anything? Or does it just say tilt without any warning? One thing you can try is use a different controller if you have one. I'm wondering if the controller is giving some invalid data if it's worn out or maybe low battery.

@Butterkins - Sorry to hear you are disappointed. The more tables we do, the more we find what we can do to enhance the lighting. The PS3 tables were enhanced later in our development, and those enhancements haven't made it to Xbox 360 yet. Unfortunatly the hardware is different so it's not just copy and paste. An artist will go in and modify the values by hand until they look similar. From my understanding we plan to have someone do that and patch it in the future.

We take all of your comments into consideration. Understand though, that even though the Xbox and PS3 are pretty powerful, they do have limitations especially with Texture fill and bandwidth. So sometimes a lower resolution texture is necessary to get a good framerate. On the other hand, we will look to see what we can do to improve these.

It tilts without any warning, but I don't have another controller to test it on. It's a new controller though. Haven't had the random tilting happen to me lately but that could be because I mainly play TOTAN and rarely bother with Black Hole where the random tilting was mos noticeable.

I also have a question. Is it true that the XBOX versions of Bride of Pinbot and Medieval Madness employ real-time lighting effects as some here have claimed?

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I also have a question. Is it true that the XBOX versions of Bride of Pinbot and Medieval Madness employ real-time lighting effects as some here have claimed?

It's true. The 360 Medieval Madness and Bride of Pinbot were at the Texas pinball festival and had dynamic lighting different from the four initial tables. Farsight posted a video up of the DLC tables on youtube (which on facebook, they said it was from 360, not PS3 like the other video). Here's the video

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
It tilts without any warning, but I don't have another controller to test it on. It's a new controller though. Haven't had the random tilting happen to me lately but that could be because I mainly play TOTAN and rarely bother with Black Hole where the random tilting was mos noticeable.

Are you using an official Xbox 360 controller (Microsoft brand)?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
When we started working on Medieval, the artists and I came up with some new ways to do the lighting to make it look better. So Medieval and Bride had those treatments. Then about that time the PS3 post processing was working, so the lighting on the launch tables on PS3 needed work, so they applied those techniques to those tables for PS3. Unfortunately those techniques didn't make it to the 360's launch tables because of the lengthy submission process which we were already in.

The artists have been working on it, so in a future update you should see those changes and improved lighting. All DLC tables will have that treatment out of the box.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
When we started working on Medieval, the artists and I came up with some new ways to do the lighting to make it look better. So Medieval and Bride had those treatments. Then about that time the PS3 post processing was working, so the lighting on the launch tables on PS3 needed work, so they applied those techniques to those tables for PS3. Unfortunately those techniques didn't make it to the 360's launch tables because of the lengthy submission process which we were already in.

The artists have been working on it, so in a future update you should see those changes and improved lighting. All DLC tables will have that treatment out of the box.

That's great news and glad to hear that Xbox 360 users will only have to wait for the initial four tables to be updated. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.