Dissapointed in the graphics (XBOX360)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Another thing Mike, when you guys are working on updating the lighting for the initial four launch tables on the Xbox 360, on the Ripley's table, please make sure the flashers (and the light reflecting off the wood floor) are white and not green as seen in your PS3 launch trailer and on YouTube videos uploaded by PS3 users. Thanks.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Nice info mike. Would be great if there was a technique where you could get the flashers on tables to have a really bright intense flash when they go off, more like a real flasher. so all objects around these flashers would have light mappings on them to and would be effected by the flashers going off!!?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Thank you for the update Mike,

I would say it's a relief but i already know you guys are shooting for the best sim out there, any hiccups along the way are just that, hiccups.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
From Facebook: "The next update has slightly improved lighting. The update after that (early Summer) will include the lighting tech to make the two versions match."

Emmanuel Papillon

Apr 26, 2012
My main issue with Pinball Arcade is really the aliasing. On 720p the game looks pretty bad, and it's the only game on my console that does so, while Williams Pinball looks great, and so does Pinball FX 2.

At first I thought Pinball Arcade actually looked drastically worse than Williams Pinball and I was very disappointed, but after reading some posts on another forum, I tried setting up my console in 1080i (I can't set 1080p on my TV), and despite 1080i looking similar or worse than 720p usually, here it improves the visuals 20x times.

Will that be fixed? It's annoying to change the settings every time I want to play Pinball Arcade, and this issue makes many 360 users think the game looks worse than it really does.

Other than that, I appreciate Farsight's will to improve the game and visuals gradually, and I'm very happy about the frequent feedbacks you give us. I'm looking forward to the glass reflection and lighting effects, the game is really great, but the visuals do need a lift on 360. More camera options would also be a plus.

Last edited:

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
I think I have to agree with Emmanuel Papillion. I just tried the 1080i Setting (only have a HD Ready TV) and it somehow looks better.

Emmanuel Papillon

Apr 26, 2012
There really is, though, and I gathered other opinions to be sure. Some friend told me using a VGA cable improved it (I use HDMI with no problem with other games). As it is, the game is much more aliased than the original Williams compilation, which makes it harder to read in 720p (as said, it's much better in 1080i when it shouldn't be).
I'm glad you reacted quickly and I hope this will be fixed in the next update, I'm looking forward the changes and the new tables.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
I don't know, I played this on ps3 today and I liked TOTAN's look better, but not ToM's. Not sure about Ripley's because I don't play it much. I sure would like a light/dark option.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
There really is, though, and I gathered other opinions to be sure. Some friend told me using a VGA cable improved it (I use HDMI with no problem with other games). As it is, the game is much more aliased than the original Williams compilation, which makes it harder to read in 720p (as said, it's much better in 1080i when it shouldn't be).
I'm glad you reacted quickly and I hope this will be fixed in the next update, I'm looking forward the changes and the new tables.

What size TV do you use? In my office I'm using a 26" Sony with HDMI. Occasionally I'll test with other cables.

Wondering if it's worse on larger TV's. I'll look into it some this week.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
@FarSight...another thing about the new lighting, can you please make sure the side rails of the tables only show the reflection of the flashers when they light up (like they currently do on the Xbox 360) and not have the static reflections shown on the Ripley's table on the PS3. Those static reflections on the rails look off and seem very distracting. Please make sure the static reflections on the rails are not included when you fully update the lighting on the Xbox 360 in the June. Thanks.

Emmanuel Papillon

Apr 26, 2012
@Mike Reitmeyer: my TV is a Samsung 37''. I can assure you I never had the same problem with any other 360 game, retail or XBLA, including Williams Pinball. I hope it'll be fixed in the next update, I'm looking forward to it.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I just watched the Youtube Video, just now, and i have to say, not only is the lighting much improved but it appears that the "bouncy" physics have been tamed. Not that i think that the current tables are as bad as it's made out to be but that looks like it's just right.

Can't wait fo rthe DLC for XBLA.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I just watched the Youtube Video, just now, and i have to say, not only is the lighting much improved but it appears that the "bouncy" physics have been tamed. Not that i think that the current tables are as bad as it's made out to be but that looks like it's just right.

Can't wait fo rthe DLC for XBLA.

Which video?

phantomfriar2002

Apr 13, 2012
Is Black Hole's lighting also better on the PS3? I played the Android version on my tablet and phone, and the whole table looks 100 times better -- it's not pitch black dark the way the 360 is (i.e. you can actually make out areas of the table that aren't illuminated). The 360 version looks like you're playing in a cavern.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It's true. The 360 Medieval Madness and Bride of Pinbot were at the Texas pinball festival and had dynamic lighting different from the four initial tables. Farsight posted a video up of the DLC tables on youtube (which on facebook, they said it was from 360, not PS3 like the other video). Here's the video

This is the video I was talking about.

Emmanuel Papillon

Apr 26, 2012
My main issue with Pinball Arcade is really the aliasing. On 720p the game looks pretty bad, and it's the only game on my console that does so, while Williams Pinball looks great, and so does Pinball FX 2.

At first I thought Pinball Arcade actually looked drastically worse than Williams Pinball and I was very disappointed, but after reading some posts on another forum, I tried setting up my console in 1080i (I can't set 1080p on my TV), and despite 1080i looking similar or worse than 720p usually, here it improves the visuals 20x times.

Will that be fixed? It's annoying to change the settings every time I want to play Pinball Arcade, and this issue makes many 360 users think the game looks worse than it really does.
Just a quick bump to know if the issue has been explained/fixed, and how high are the chances to see it fixed in the next Pinball Arcade update. I'm pretty sure this issue makes you lose many sales, since many people play on 720p.

Thanks.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I've done some tests. In 720 we use 4x MSAA, in 1080 we use 2x MSAA. I did screen captures of 720 with 4x, 2x and no AA then compared them to make sure it was actually working, and there is a difference.

If I scale a 720 screenshot up to 1080 and compare it with a 1080 screenshot, the 1080 looks a lot better. But I would expect this since the native 1080 image is higher resolution, so the details are there.

I haven't been able to figure out what the solution is yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.