DX11 Public Beta Now Available

priested

Nov 7, 2013
seems portrait isn't working atm tho it was meant to be just doesn't seem to be working

Yeah, just checked the bugs thread. Apparently, no one there can get it to work either so I guess we'll have to wait until next week. Good news is that based on the comments so far, it looks like this upgrade is well worth the wait :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
(Not a bug report, just feedback.)
In DX11 I notice that all the lighting on the playfield is circular, even the dynamic shaped lights, such as arrows and lightning bolts, which leaves part of those shapes unlit. One example is the Addams Family arrows. One big light on the head and a smaller light on the tail. Another thing is that those lights bleed over the edges of the shapes onto the wood to make a perfect circle shape.
Is this how it would look in real life? I may be wrong, but shouldn't the light spread to the other areas of the shape? And wouldn't it not bleed over onto the wood like that?
Is there no way in DX11 to create dynamically shaped lights?

On a real table, you'd have one bulb under an insert typically, two or three if it is long (like FIRE and POWER on Firepower). It is common to be able to see the actual shape of the bulb under some inserts, and for sure intensity is not uniform across the entire insert. If the table has LED lighting, it can be even more of a focused point of light unless you have the LEDs that are diffused.

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
Am I crazy, or are the physics different/better and the plunger far more consistent on analog sticks?

Is this just a graphics upgrade?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As far as I know, it's just a lighting upgrade, with graphical tweaks where demanded by the lighting. There might be some other things snuck in, but physics I imagine isn't one of them. After all, wouldn't that mean a new engine build?

Nolan

Jan 19, 2014
As far as I know, it's just a lighting upgrade, with graphical tweaks where demanded by the lighting. There might be some other things snuck in, but physics I imagine isn't one of them. After all, wouldn't that mean a new engine build?

Maybe all this new shine and polish is making me feel better about it in general.

Like how it almost feels like my car is driving better after I run it through a wash.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Hopefully the Portrait Mode will be fixed in the next beta version.Still feels weird playing in Landscape mode.Other than that looks great.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Maybe all this new shine and polish is making me feel better about it in general.

Like how it almost feels like my car is driving better after I run it through a wash.

Didn't Mike say he fixed about 60 bugs in the process of implementing DX11?

All this talk makes me want to start playing on PC again!

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I just gotta say TPA DX11 portrait mode is spectacular!
Dracula with lighting on 0% is one of the most impressive things I've seen yet..just stellar

James Ragsdale

Dec 26, 2014
Absolutely amazing. Not just are the lighting effects great, the textures are better overall. Circus Voltaire is rather blinding. Just wonderful. I know this took a LOT of time and work and a lot of people have been less than acknowledging, but I for one thank you! Great work!

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Absolutely amazing. Not just are the lighting effects great, the textures are better overall. Circus Voltaire is rather blinding. Just wonderful. I know this took a LOT of time and work and a lot of people have been less than acknowledging, but I for one thank you! Great work!

And this is only a beta still.Final build will be even better!

nudnick

Apr 8, 2014
Has anyone noticed the "Rumble Off' option on Earthshaker?

Hehe ... nice one FS. I personally enjoy the "rumble", but for those who b*tched about it, you can now turn it off ... :) You're on fire FS with the PC community right now. DON'T STOP!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Has anyone noticed the "Rumble Off' option on Earthshaker?

Hehe ... nice one FS. I personally enjoy the "rumble", but for those who b*tched about it, you can now turn it off ... :) You're on fire FS with the PC community right now. DON'T STOP!

It's been there since the table was released.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Incredible! I've put all of the tables to 0% It's a completely different feel IMO. For a BETA it's fantastic. I did notice some slowing on certain tables but Can't pinpoint what happened exactly.

1moreastronaut

Aug 22, 2013
Wonder how many season packs are about to be sold...

None to me. As someone who's just getting a pincab build underway, I'll be sticking with the Android app until cab support is added to the Steam version. I mean, look...these are far-and-away superior to any of the digital pins that are out there for VP or FP or U3D. But I've already dropped over a hundred bones to play them on my Nexus 7. Pincab support is the only way they get my money again.

If the enthusiasts can make it work in their spare time, surely FarSight can during business hours.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
None to me. As someone who's just getting a pincab build underway, I'll be sticking with the Android app until cab support is added to the Steam version. I mean, look...these are far-and-away superior to any of the digital pins that are out there for VP or FP or U3D. But I've already dropped over a hundred bones to play them on my Nexus 7. Pincab support is the only way they get my money again.

If the enthusiasts can make it work in their spare time, surely FarSight can during business hours.

I don't know if by enthusiast you mean VP, FP and so on or Noex. But in case you missed it, at least cab view for TPA is possibly around the corner.
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/9804-PBA-Free-Camera-Mod?highlight=noex

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts