Enhanced version of the Star Trek: The Next Generation table on PS4 to be shown at E3

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Did NES players get free games when SNES came out? did SNES gamers get free **** when N64 or Game Cube came out, how about WII, etc etc.

Actually, you CAN play Game Cube games on the Wii (not sure about Wii U). Any of your digital purchases you made on the Wii can be transferred over to the Wii U, and all DS games play on the 3DS. Then throw in what the Vita can do, where it's gonna be this hybrid link that can interact with last generation and next gen.

You are correct in that companies do not owe us anything. I'm not gonna rehash any of the pages worth of debate that went on in at least 2 other threads about this same topic, because it totally hijacks the original thread. But it's not like it's totally unprecedented.

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
Actually, the physics for pinbot on NES were better than PHOF in some ways.

I loved this game, but wished it had a "no enhancenments" option. The guy that sat on the sun and chewed on your balls was annoying enough, but the missiles that destroyed your flippers were too much.

N

netizen

Actually, you CAN play Game Cube games on the Wii (not sure about Wii U). Any of your digital purchases you made on the Wii can be transferred over to the Wii U, and all DS games play on the 3DS. Then throw in what the Vita can do, where it's gonna be this hybrid link that can interact with last generation and next gen.

But that has only been a relatively new implementation, and has been piecemeal by manufacturer. Some did hardware emulation in one version, then discontinued it to develop software emulation for the backwards compatibility etc.

Maybe I took the analogy too far ...

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
When you start talking about backwards compatibility, then you're going off on another subject completely. Those older games that you are able to play on newer consoles have not been enhanced in any way, hence the reason why you are not charged to play your old games on your new console. Now if FarSight were to charge us to play an untouched PS3 version of The Pinball Arcade on the PS4, then I would more than likely have a problem with that.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Because you aren't changing OS when you upgrade hardware within the Android or iOS environment; so long as you remain with the same OS.

However with Consoles the differences between generations is drastic and usually quite massive. I am honestly surprised at the level of entitlement in the latest generations of console gamers. Did NES players get free games when SNES came out? did SNES gamers get free **** when N64 or Game Cube came out, how about WII, etc etc.

Just because it is the same game on a different system owned by the same company doesn't mean that anyone owes you, the consumer, anything beyond the chance to purchase it. If the developer decides to allow for a cross buy in order to bring in nquick customer support and have a ready available set of users to test with, then it is their prerogative. This is not an expected, nor a normalized practice.

You can't really compare the older, non-DLC generation with today. The rules have changed greatly!

I don't think it's an entitlement issue. Sure we weren't able to play our NES carts on a SNES, but currently, Nintendo has allowed us to move purchased Virtual Console content to the new Wii U for a small transfer fee (which I feel is very fair.

This can really be argued back and fourth for years to come so I'm just going to agree to disagree on this as I'd rather spend my time playing games than typing. :p

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
...Sure we weren't able to play our NES carts on a SNES,...

Actually.. there was an adapter that made it so you could, I had one as a kid. Same was true for the Sega Genesis and Master System adapter.

I know it has nothing to do with the point of your post but I just wanted to throw that out there. ;)

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
The adapter wasn't an official Nintendo product, also, it wasn't actually an adapter, it was a NES emulator, the SNES was only used for the controllers.

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Maybe my Beetle comparison was a little too far off topic, but still kinda valid (and funny?) though, I think. Sorry if you felt mocked, Billy, that was not my intention.

How about comparing it to NBA 2k13 on PS3 and NBA 2k14 on PS4? You wouldn't expect to get the 2k13 version of the game for free for the new console after buying it for PS3, much less the 2k14 "update" (as it's nothing more, basically), would you?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Looks great and I really hope the PS4 version launches with the "lighting slider" we've been asking for since the game launched.

Billy Fishtale

Mar 22, 2013
Last thing I'm saying on this topic, it could have been a decent gesture from farsight's point of view to give gratis download of previously purchased content even if only DLC packs from previous console and perhaps a requirement to buy a new core pack of tables to set the new title off on the PS4. Most would still buy new packs as they became available.

I have no qualms over paying for a new game but I do expect a "new game" not a rehash of a lets be frank messed up one the first time around, and the business of making us pay for the same game and content all over again albeit with a sprinkling of sparkle dust simply reeks of milking the consumer. Ridicule me all you want I'm just sticking up for "us" the people that pays for it all.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Last thing I'm saying on this topic, it could have been a decent gesture from farsight's point of view to give gratis download of previously purchased content even if only DLC packs from previous console and perhaps a requirement to buy a new core pack of tables to set the new title off on the PS4. Most would still buy new packs as they became available.

I have no qualms over paying for a new game but I do expect a "new game" not a rehash of a lets be frank messed up one the first time around, and the business of making us pay for the same game and content all over again albeit with a sprinkling of sparkle dust simply reeks of milking the consumer. Ridicule me all you want I'm just sticking up for "us" the people that pays for it all.

Then don't buy it.

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
Last thing I'm saying on this topic, it could have been a decent gesture from farsight's point of view to give gratis download of previously purchased content

That'd certainly be a very decent gesture. Unfortunately they are a small company and would simply go out of business quite fast if they gave away their products for free.

How about asking for an "update fee" that is cheaper than the tables will be when purchasing them on PS4 first? That'd be a decent proposition. I'm not saying FS will do somehing like that, but I can undestand that this is something many people want. Heck, I'd support everyone who asks for this. But for free? Seriously?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Curious to see what Zen does.

I'd imagine they'll continue to produce high quality, extensively tested original creations for a fraction of the price that Farsight charge whilst including operator settings as standard, and closely listening to their fanbase.
I don't think they'll want to change to Farsight's model.

(where the hell is my TPA Android nudge up?) Grrrrrrrrr.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'd imagine they'll continue to produce high quality, extensively tested original creations for a fraction of the price that Farsight charge whilst including operator settings as standard, and closely listening to their fanbase.

Well yeah, there is that. Too bad I still don't like their camera angles. And there's a lot of 'em too.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012

I admit Zen/FX2 is much more polished, but with the leaden physics, repetitive gameplay, and an overabundance of comic book characters, it's a whole lotta lipstick for not a lotta pig, at least for me.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Fraction of the price? Last I checked, their 4 packs are $10, which is the exact same price you'd pay for 4 tables on TPA, except for STTNG and TZ, but c'mon...those are legendary.

...and I definitely agree with what Sean said.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts