Farsight Deserves Insane Amounts Of Credit For Engine Improvements

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
I can barely watch that HH video due to the person making it using it as a soapbox to talk smack about their competitor...

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Haha this guy is amazing! Apparently he's famous for trying to sell overpriced shopped pins on eBay, using pictures of sad college girls on top and next to them - admitted, it's beautiful work (the restoration, not the girls), but why put all that money into restoring a table that no one is interested in justifying with their money? Seems he's also fond of verbally abusing anyone who questions this trend, too.
Hilarious.

Yeah, pretty sure that HH was on ebay for $6500 or something absurd. I like how he attacks TNT for their HH being lower quality when it was also $3500 cheaper.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
I like the improvements over time, but the Mac version leaves much to be desired. Looks like I'll be forced to jump to my Windows partition and play the Steam version, just like I do to play Visual Pinball.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Ugh, bumping another thread! I think this is important though. I think FS have come a REALLY long way, but IMO there's one big thing (other than spin) that I think needs to get implemented: Mid-flipper flutter. It's a relatively recent thing that you can see when you release a flipper as it reaches it's resting place, but if you release a flipper then hold it again (so the flipper only goes half way or 1/3rd or whatever) there's zero flipper flutter at all (I apologise if that's not the right word to use). Something like this would be the key to being able to employ more realistic play techniques, like live catching.

The best example you can probably see of flutter online is here, when Bowen's just passing time by tickling the right flipper button. And if you wait a few seconds after where that video starts, you will see the greatest live catch ever performed. Bloody ridiculous... but at this point in time, completely impossible to do because there's no flutter/springyness at the top of the flipper's arc.

I hope that makes sense!

Edit: Watching that video, it looks like flutter basically *only* happens at the top/in the middle of the flipper's arc and essentially none at the bottom at all. I know it's only lowish framerate, but you can still see enough in the intermediate frames to tell that flutter's only happening in the top 2/3 of the arc of the flipper's travel. But that's a Stern table, maybe others are different (though I doubt it very much).

Last edited:
N

netizen

Flipper flutter might make it on the todo list right after the flipper rubbers develop individual properties and become less bouncy and actually show differences in grip etc.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Well, the problem I have with it is that the flutter is there, but because it's at the wrong end of the flipper's overall travel, it doesn't really do much good. At least, that's from what I can tell anyway. It just needs to be transferred to the opposite bit and we'll be fine(r).

You're right about the flipper rubbers though, it feels like they have no affect on the ball at all as far as "flinging" them, though that might also be a little to do with the lack of spin, too.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Check out this Haunted House:

That video gets a thumbs down , for the arrogant way he was trashing another competitor and just shut up and play the damn machine , I could care less about you trashing some other machine you never show but keep alluding to , his entire presentation is about profiteering and not love of pinball machines , by the use of his own terminology , this is the type of business I'd avoid , because hes the same mindset of the folks who junk old pinball and arcade machines to jack up the price by eliminating them so there are less in the world.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
That video gets a thumbs down , for the arrogant way he was trashing another competitor and just shut up and play the damn machine , I could care less about you trashing some other machine you never show but keep alluding to , his entire presentation is about profiteering and not love of pinball machines , by the use of his own terminology , this is the type of business I'd avoid , because hes the same mindset of the folks who junk old pinball and arcade machines to jack up the price by eliminating them so there are less in the world.

I agree. The only reason I posted a link to the video was because I thought it looked cool.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.