FarSight planning massive PS3 update patch--maybe

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
The only table packs that are necessary to fix on ps3 are 4 (BK artwork fixed and emulation), 10 (Genie colors are currently atrocious and there is an extra ball bug. But the wizard goal should be made easier if they fix that), and 11 (Firepower had a terrible game ending bug that makes it nearly impossible to register a good high score). I can live with any other imperfections in the game, although the washed out colors in HD, Taxi and NGG should be fixed, but that is nowhere near as important as the other tables I have mentioned. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Nooooo! Not another 3 million on Genie!!! Anything but that!!! I just actually read the previous posts and I don't think I would like losing everything I have earned. Couldn't they just do an export of sorts? Other games can do that with completely different games. For instance, NHL 12 has the option to import data from an NHL 11 save.

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
It seems a little odd that a patch would require save files to be deleted but whatever, that's a small price to pay to fix what's broke.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
It seems a little odd that a patch would require save files to be deleted but whatever, that's a small price to pay to fix what's broke.
It's not really a patch. It will be an update that completely re-alters the code to the point where the game won't recognize the old save files.

In other words, they will be updating every part of the game including the the save system.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
If they do an overhaul they better do it right. This will probably be their last shot on the PS3.

I also plan on buying a PS4 so the longer they sit on this massive update the less it is going to matter to me.

speaking of which, I was trying to convince my brother the PS4 video of ST TNG was not the PS3 version with better contrast. I really hope they don't rush these tables on the PS4 and plan on fixing them up later. Release 1 pack per month and make them shine!

RJB

May 1, 2013
I love TPA, it's one of my most played games on the PS3, I always go back to it and so far have bought every single table released.

IMO if Farsight are totally serious when they talk about their love of pinball and wanting people to experience all these classic tables as close to how the original tables played as possible, then it is an absolute MUST! that they release a major patch/update to fix all the known bugs/issues within the game, Farsight clearly put a lot of work into these tables for the most part so it would just be plain daft if so much of their effort went to waste by leaving bugs in the game that can and should clearly be fixed.

I can't for the life of me believe that anyone who owns the game would not want to see things fixed even if it means losing a few scores, maybe Farsight could sort something out with Sony where you have the option as to whether or not you download the update? I don't know if that would be possible, but, it would be a way of pleasing everyone.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Hmmm on the one sacrificing local scores to get an update on all the tables released? On the on the other hand, sacrificing local scores to get an update on all the tables released? Hmm Let me think.

I just wish they would do just a Ps3 scoreboad as some of the scores from the mobile platforms are Questionable.

That said, it does sound like they are focusing a lot of resources to the PS4. I have no intention in buying another console anytime soon. Especially at the $400 price tag. So I would be irked if they didn't think of patching the PS3 version.

Last edited:

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
EDIT: thanks to the forumers that find the facenoob quotes. We have a nice fan forum... and Farsight never post on it! :(

Quite the contrary actually. FarSight employees have accounts here and they do post. Maybe not as often recently, but trust me they do post here and give us updates on what's going on from time to time.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
If they do a Pinball Arcade 2 sort of like Zen did with Zen Pinball 2, then people should be able to keep their high scores on the old version if they really don't want to lose them, and for people that would rather have improved tables and don't mind starting over with their high scores. Everyone is happy. :)

This makes me wonder if the leaderboards for Williams Pinball Hall of Fame are still obtainable.
I was number 4 on Whirlwind for quite a while.

Plus we will get more trophies to knock out.
Psst... This would be a chance for them to replace the 3 million wizard goal on Genie[/COLOR] with something more reasonable too. :rolleyes:

Jim

Mar 23, 2013
I have a potentially stupid question, but at the risk of sounding foolish I really need to know the answer:

Why is FarSight seemingly the only one with this problem of SONY not allowing them to spot-patch their game? I have updated every single game on my PS3 at one time or another, and never did I have to re-download the entire game... usually a patch of several MegaBytes in size and that was it.

In any case I agree with what others have said, if you care that much about scores take a screen shot; but I just want a better game.

--Jim

Last edited:

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
Jim- they're having a problem patching DLC. They can patch the main game, but all of the add on tables are more or less untouchable right now. Zen was in a similar situation and decided to completely relaunch their game to fix the problem

I would hate to lose table goals, but it would be worth it for a big overhaul. This would be a great update to add 3D support on.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
FarSight's Facebook account mentioned the big patch again:

The Pinball Arcade We've had reports of this, yes... however since the match at the end wouldn't give you a free game anyway (supporting that would break the way our game works) it isn't too big of a problem, we have a lot of bigger bugs on ps3 to fix when we're releasing our huge patch, but we'll put this in the bug database.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Why is FarSight seemingly the only one with this problem of SONY not allowing them to spot-patch their game? I have updated every single game on my PS3 at one time or another, and never did I have to re-download the entire game... usually a patch of several MegaBytes in size and that was it.
It's because of the way Sony designed their patch system.

The patch system was only incorporated to the main game and not to the DLC. If you look at all of the DLC on the PS3, almost all of it is just items (weapons, costumes, skins, etc...), extra characters, levels and map packs. Stuff that can easily be patched through the main game, if there is something wrong with it.

TPA and Zen Pinball are in a unique situation, where the games rely heavily on DLC and not the main game itself. Sony probably never thought that DLC would be so important in a game, when they were developing their patch/update system for the PSN.

It also doesn't help that Farsight took the universal approach on their game (one size fits all sort of thing), while Zen re-creates their program to cater to that specific platform.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Don't think Farsight will post a patch that wipes all save data, and Sony probably wouldn't let them, I think? Sure, we don't really care, but there are tonnes of less "hardcore" players that will definitely miss the local scores if they disappear without warning (and probably a lot of Facebook abuse!). I know I will a little - I like seeing all my best attempts, and it's far more convenient as they are displayed right at the end of the game and you don't need to navigate the menu and loading times to see your score. I once accidentally wiped my local scores on AFM and a little bit of me died, and I then spent hours trying to recreate my top score! So I'd be lying if I said it didn't matter at all to me.

Though by "we've been trying to work a way around doing so with them", it sounds like they're working with Sony to keep the save data, to which I say patch away!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Quite the contrary actually. FarSight employees have accounts here and they do post. Maybe not as often recently, but trust me they do post here and give us updates on what's going on from time to time.

Yep, you're right.

The PS3/PS Vita versions are "special", as DLC can't be patched.

Players report bugs though, knowing that some of these would be likely never fixed. And many of us were asking eagerly if DLC would be patched one day. Never an answer or an hint from FS.

And poop!

In some dark corner of Facenoob, an FS statement implies that they work on a big patch ("we have a lot of bigger bugs on ps3 to fix when we're releasing our huge patch"), or more precisely, they work to find a way to release it... maybe.

It's a big and very unexpected announcement for console players, and if one thing has to be posted by FS on the forum, it's this!

I'm happy with this announcement, big thanks to Farsight for working on it but.... weird communication!

Jim

Mar 23, 2013
Thanks for the answers to my stupid question. I guess I had the wrong idea about it... I thought that the various tables were just "skins" and the engine itself was all in the main game (which could be patched like normal). Apparently I was wrong.

Now one more stupid question and then I promise I will stop:
Could FarSight make updates to the PS3 version DLC available for download via the PS3 Browser? As far as I am aware, it's still possible to download and install packages with the PS3 Browser, and that's how the PSN store used to work anyway, just a special website.

--Jim

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Now one more stupid question and then I promise I will stop:
Could FarSight make updates to the PS3 version DLC available for download via the PS3 Browser? As far as I am aware, it's still possible to download and install packages with the PS3 Browser, and that's how the PSN store used to work anyway, just a special website.

No, it's impossible:

- DLC/updates content requires Sony's approval and license. It's not the PC world! :p
- Submitting a DLC/update is not free for FS, there is a fee.
- I'm not sure (even not sure at all) you can download install packages with the PS3 browser and make it work on the PS3. There is a a lot of system protection in order to prevent hacking (even if Sony is not very good in this domain :p).

Jim

Mar 23, 2013
Well I've actually been to a website on the PS3 Browser (can't remember which now) where when I clicked on a link to a special file, a message asked me "do you want to install this software?"

It was not one of those stupid malware banner ads either... this was a real message from the system itself, and it even showed an icon of the software just like when installing from the PSN Store. So I am thinking there is a way to do it. But then again, if DLC still can not be updated, I guess it's a moot point. :(

--Jim

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Vita needs this really bad. There's no reason for a dedicated gaming system to look worse than my phone with lower specs.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.