Flipper lag theory

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
Let's get this fixed FarSight!! I haven't bought the recent DLC and I refuse to buy any future DLC until this **** is fixed. Right now as it stands this game is a pos. Graphics and tables take a back seat to gameplay in my books. Some games can be tolerated with a bit of input lag, but pinball has no room for it. I refuse to support this game until you can prove to me you are more than a cell phone gaming company.

hammr25

Oct 4, 2012
I got tired of the table release lag for the 360 brought on by Mi€ro$o£t I bought the PS3 version and all the tables. I started playing this morning and immediately noticed the lag that doesn't affect the 360 version. I then googled and it led me here. Hopefully Farsight can get this figured out. On a completely unrelated note I'm disappointed there aren't world currencies that use the letter's M, I, R, O F or T with lines through them.

aagstn

Oct 6, 2012
I was able to finally get my lag down to nearly zero by turning off all processing done by my TV. I thought I had caught everything but there was one I missed. Now its very playable on my Sharp LED TV. However, I recently got a Vita and its a reminder that my TV still has a touch of lag. The Vita has none at all and I can definitely notice it on some tables where I am right on it on the Vita and just a touch late sometimes on the PS3.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
I've changed my mind about lag now, hooked up our old CRT TV and tested a few tables and took out a few of my current scores in one game on each table. We definitely need a fix I'm running a 50" plasma TV with no game mode and even dropping my settings to 720p doesn't solve the problem all together.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
If anyone else here still has a CRT TV do yourself a favor and hook up to that and test the differences, I understand some HDTV's are going to produce some lag but you will see just how much you are experiencing on your HDTV set up. The menu screens between tables even move incredibly fast on a CRT TV set up.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Hey Jim, thanks for testing. It won't help all the married men out there - try to convince a woman to replace your shiny and slim LCD with a bulky CRT. No way, I can tell you. :)

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
I believe our engine guy was able to improve it but not remove it completely. I think they are still trying to figure out how to fix it.

Taken from the "Frustrations" thread.

I do find it concerning that after 6 months of release flipper lag is still proving to be a problem, as it is central to the game mechanic. Surely this should be priority number 1 for the PS3 release before working on more tables? This is basically an admission there currently is no known solution to a problem that is fundemental to core gameplay.

While art issues and lighting can be ignored to some extent, if there were ever a reason to hold off on buying further DLC then this would be it.

At least we can all stop blaming our HDTVs and bluetooth pads now. :D

Last edited:

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Hey Jim, thanks for testing. It won't help all the married men out there - try to convince a woman to replace your shiny and slim LCD with a bulky CRT. No way, I can tell you. :)

Funny you mentioned that our old TV is only 13" big and my wife asked why I had the old TV out. Told her I was playing pinball on there and she gave me the look.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Has anyone on here with PS3 tried using Component AV Cable instead of HDMI cords ? Think that may be my next purchase it is just hard to find them in the stores at least in Canada. Thankfully I'm in the U.S. every weekday for work and should start looking around over there. Getting back to component AV cables we used them for our old cable box set up and I always liked them and think the response time was way better than our HDMI set up that we are using now so for PS3 it just may be the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Component-AV-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000MIXFWA

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Has anyone on here with PS3 tried using Component AV Cable instead of HDMI cords ? Think that may be my next purchase it is just hard to find them in the stores at least in Canada. Thankfully I'm in the U.S. every weekday for work and should start looking around over there. Getting back to component AV cables we used them for our old cable box set up and I always liked them and think the response time was way better than our HDMI set up that we are using now so for PS3 it just may be the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Component-AV-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000MIXFWA

I tried these just the other day when I switched from Hdmi & a 42' TV to these component cables & my 22' PC monitor.

The flippers did feel less laggy, but I cant be sure if it was just in my head or if it was because of switching to the cables or to the monitor...

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
My PS3 is connected with a component cable and I had the lag right from the beginning. Only switching to 720p helped.

I also have a HDMI converter and connected it to the VGA input of my TV. It doesn't help with the lag but the colors are brighter.

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
My PS3 is connected with a component cable and I had the lag right from the beginning. Only switching to 720p helped.

I also have a HDMI converter and connected it to the VGA input of my TV. It doesn't help with the lag but the colors are brighter.

Indeed, the only thing that helps is switching to 720p, but it doesn't completely eliminate it. I recently tried using the DS3 controller plugged in via usb which seems to do absolutely nothing ..... very frustrating.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Strangely, sometimes it is worse than others, on the same setup. I played it today, and the lag was almost nonexistent. Of course, this might make things worse, as it will be impossible to get the timing down right.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
prove to me you are more than a cell phone gaming company

:confused: Uhh… what? FarSight have been developing video gaming console video games since before the existence of cell phones.

But yeah, sucks that you PS3 dudes have input lag. We over in 360ville have less than ten tables still. So pick your poison, I guess.
efNpE.gif
H7VYx.gif
efNpE.gif

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
As I've stated again and again, the lag is completely gone once I hook my PS3 up to my PC monitor. It's completely warped on what is causing this, I just don't get it. Between the 360 release lag and the ps3 input lag, it made me stop buying DLC altogether however. I also don't feel like hooking my ps3 up to my pc monitor all the time.

On the bright side, I have time again for other games now :)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
As I've stated again and again, the lag is completely gone once I hook my PS3 up to my PC monitor. It's completely warped on what is causing this, I just don't get it. Between the 360 release lag and the ps3 input lag, it made me stop buying DLC altogether however. I also don't feel like hooking my ps3 up to my pc monitor all the time.

On the bright side, I have time again for other games now :)

Are you using an SVGA cord to hook it to the PC monitor? Or an HDMI cord?

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Could we just have a separate thread for people who think their TV has magically fixed a game issue? = p

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts