General PS3 Impressions Thread

thetrout

Apr 10, 2012
Just wanted to throw out there that - as much a devotee of Zen I've been in the past - the physics on the PS3 Pinball Arcade feel more realistic. I have played a LOT of real pinball machines in a variety of different conditions, and Pinball Arcade has the feel of a cherry mint machine. Which isn't to say that Zen's physics are bad. They're pretty darn good. But I think PA has the edge here for gameplay.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The difference between the 360 and the PS3 is huge due to the lighting upgrade the PS3 version has.

So true! I just pulled up both versions on my tv and flipped back in forth between the HDMI inputs while I had the ball trapped so the views were exactly the same. The PS3's lighting looks sooooo much better.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Black Hole was amazing compared to the version on the Gottlieb collection, which was what I was playing for the last three or four years. I can't describe it, but it was amazing. While I do like the new lighting, I just wish there was an option to turn the background lights on or off. It is very difficult to see the art on the playfield of Black Hole. Okay. Back to playing...

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Graphics and lighting appears to be a nice upgrade to the 360 version, hopefully the 360 version will get a facelift in an update

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
A question for Mike:

given the 4MB XBLA update limit (not to mention the hideous costs of updating for the developer), is it even possible to release an update for the 360 tables that provides for the new lighting/textures?

Cheers.

Ammonitida

Apr 6, 2012
Graphics and lighting appears to be a nice upgrade to the 360 version, hopefully the 360 version will get a facelift in an update

I'll be sick to my stomach if we don't get this upgrade. The 360 version should have been delayed until they implemented the real-time lighting. I'm really upset over this.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
Are flippers twitching for anyone on the PS3 version? I couldn't play WPHOF without plugging in my ps3 controller because the flippers would twitch if you held the button for too long. Plugging the controller in fixed this problem but I would like to play wirelessly.

I already have TPA for mac and 360 but the graphics look better on the ps3 version so I may buy it as well

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
given the 4MB XBLA update limit (not to mention the hideous costs of updating for the developer), is it even possible to release an update for the 360 tables that provides for the new lighting/textures?
FarSight stated a while ago they had methods in place for patching tables. Presumably this has already been planned for. I assume they could also resort to a zero-cost DLC if they had to, since DLC obviously can have sizes much greater than 4 MB.

I'll be sick to my stomach if we don't get this upgrade. The 360 version should have been delayed until they implemented the real-time lighting. I'm really upset over this.
FarSight pretty much has to do the upgrade for the 360 at this point. Just give it time. The hardware is not the same, the code can't just be copied over, and apparently the services of an artist are required to make it look right. It's not like the tables are unplayable in the meantime.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I read an article about Minecraft for 360 which has caused MS to rethink their policies regarding game updates. Hopefully Farsight benefited from this.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012

If they delayed the game to improve the physics or fix a bug than so be it but I would hardly want it delayed to upgrade a cosmetic feature like table lighting.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
There are ways to handle large updates. Also, Microsoft has increased the size limit on title updates as well. And as Serenseven said, you can also just update content separately from the executable.

The artists have been improving the Xbox 360 lighting, so I hope everyone will be pleased at the results.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
There are ways to handle large updates. Also, Microsoft has increased the size limit on title updates as well. And as Serenseven said, you can also just update content separately from the executable.

The artists have been improving the Xbox 360 lighting, so I hope everyone will be pleased at the results.

Awesome! Is the update coming with the DLC, or earlier? I can't wait to play Bride of Pinbot and the improved MM on 360.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012

I'm currently enjoying TPA with my custom settings, but it's great to hear the lighting is currently being worked on. Could you please keep in mind that of all the colored lights, the yellow lights seem to overwhelm the text to the point where you can't read them.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Awesome! Is the update coming with the DLC, or earlier? I can't wait to play Bride of Pinbot and the improved MM on 360.

Sorry I don't want to make any promises on time frame yet.

I'm currently enjoying TPA with my custom settings, but it's great to hear the lighting is currently being worked on. Could you please keep in mind that of all the colored lights, the yellow lights seem to overwhelm the text to the point where you can't read them.

The improved lighting fixes the blown out look so that this will be much better.

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for all of the excellent work farsight. TPA plays perfectly and looks amazing on ps3.

If anyone was curious, the twitching flipper problem from WPHOF on ps3 has been fixed. I haven't noticed it happen once!

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Am I the only one who notices a bit of lag in the flippers on this version? I have the game on both 360 and PS3, both connected to the same TV using HDMI, and the flippers on the 360 version seem more responsive. The Vita version doesn't seem to have this problem either.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Am I the only one who notices a bit of lag in the flippers on this version? I have the game on both 360 and PS3, both connected to the same TV using HDMI, and the flippers on the 360 version seem more responsive. The Vita version doesn't seem to have this problem either.

People on Facebook have reported that setting your TV to "game mode" fixes this lag.

Last edited:

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
The flippers are fine. Have you tried switching your TV to GAME MODE or something similar in your settings? That fixes the problem in regards to the flippers as it worked for a number of people on the FB page.

Btw, jrolson said the exact same thing as me above your post. Maybe you should have tried that first before posting.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.