General PS3 Impressions Thread

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
The flippers are fine. Have you tried switching your TV to GAME MODE or something similar in your settings? That fixes the problem in regards to the flippers as it worked for a number of people on the FB page.

Btw, jrolson said the exact same thing as me above your post. Maybe you should have tried that first before posting.

Game mode? you mean the picture setting? Coincidentally, i do have it on game mode, but that should have nothing to do with the flipper physics.

I just tried to play again and I'm simply not happy with the way it plays.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Game mode? you mean the picture setting? Coincidentally, i do have it on game mode, but that should have nothing to do with the flipper physics.

I just tried to play again and I'm simply not happy with the way it plays.

Different modes introduce display lag, game mode reduces or eliminates this effect. Playing at your television/monitors native resolution and in progressive scan helps. Make sure your tv has a low response time as well.

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
People on Facebook have reported that setting your TV to "game mode" fixes this lag.

It's already set to game mode. There's still a fraction of a second lag between pressing the button and the flipper responding. The Xbox 360 version, on the same television (with or without game mode), does not have this problem. The Vita version, as I also mentioned, doesn't have this issue either.

EDIT: I just want to note that it's not a HUGE delay, but it's enough to throw off precise shots. If you haven't played the other version I can see how you might not notice it. But going from 360 (or even Vita) to PS3 takes some getting used to. That said, the PS3 version DOES look nicer with the more advanced lighting, and the menus are a lot faster to navigate,

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'm happy that there are now TWO multiball cameras. So now, whichever camera you start with, the camera either moves just a little, or not at all. Too bad you can only choose while you're in the middle of playing it.

btmmayor

Apr 12, 2012
It's already set to game mode. There's still a fraction of a second lag between pressing the button and the flipper responding. The Xbox 360 version, on the same television (with or without game mode), does not have this problem. The Vita version, as I also mentioned, doesn't have this issue either.

I also own the 360, PS3 and Vita versions and there is no question there is some slight input lag on the PS3 version. Yes, my TV is set to Game Mode. 360 and PS3 hooked up via HDMI cables.

Black Hole seems more responsive but going back and forth between 360 and PS3 makes the lag very noticable. Its very disappointing to me since the PS3 version looks SO much better than the 360 version at this point.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2012
I get the delay too.. tv is set to game mode and my sharp aquos has never had an issue with any game so I know its TPA

Its a very small delay but needs to be fixed

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I have noticed I'm having a harder time with high scores on PS3 compared to the iPad and 360 versions, so maybe I'm experiencing a bit of delay too even though I'm not really physically seeing it, but maybe it's enough to throw me off. I'll have to do some more testing....

Travis Fedytnyk

Mar 27, 2012
This game is sic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i really cant see why ANYONE is complaining. the only thing thats keeps it from a "10" rating would be the plunger cam, no personal music, and maybe the setup. But that is minor complaining on my end and that has ZERO baring on how this fabulous game plays. Im freakin STOKED for "The Machine" in the next update. Farsight you rock!!!

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
I haven't really noticed any lag and can hit my shots accurately.. so if it's only slight then maybe im not seeing it.
Getting around the same scores as on my iPad2 if not better...

Using an older 42" Plasma TV

Kind of curious to the people with this problem, are you using a newer TV or older? and is it Plasma, LCD, LED?

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I haven't really noticed any lag and can hit my shots accurately.. so if it's only slight then maybe im not seeing it.
Getting around the same scores as on my iPad2 if not better...

Using an older 42" Plasma TV

Kind of curious to the people with this problem, are you using a newer TV or older? and is it Plasma, LCD, LED?

I've got a Samsung LCD that's a few years old, but that's not the point. If it was my really TV, wouldn't the Xbox 360 version also have the problem?

Should also note that both versions of PHOF seem to be just fine on my TV as well.

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
Ok, I turned off EVERYTHING. gamma, cinema mode, etc. and it seems to have helped. My tv is only a 60hz Bravia.
I think some of the improvement also came from putting some time into it and re-learning the new timing and feel of the tables. The longer i played, the more accurate and confident my shots got. This is really an amazing game! Very happy to be able to control my nudging again too. Looks (and now plays) beautifully.

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
I've got a Samsung LCD that's a few years old, but that's not the point. If it was my really TV, wouldn't the Xbox 360 version also have the problem?

Should also note that both versions of PHOF seem to be just fine on my TV as well.

I'm not sure if it would necessarily affect both versions on the same tv. I always figured it was due to the PS3's wireless controller. I did also have a slight lag on PHOF-WC.

btmmayor

Apr 12, 2012
I'm not sure if it would necessarily affect both versions on the same tv. I always figured it was due to the PS3's wireless controller. I did also have a slight lag on PHOF-WC.

My Xbox 360 and PS3 have the exact same settings on my TV. Its definitely the PS3 version of the game. The 360 version is perfectly responsive. After playing the 360 version for a week I noticed the lag on the PS3 version within the first few seconds of gameplay.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Well glad you guys are experiencing the same input lag i am on the PS3 version...i thought it migh have just been me. I also own the 360 version, so spotted the lag straight away. Hopefully FS can sort this out.

FS arent having much luck at the moment are they, not one of their platfrom releases has gone by without a hitch/bug....but i guess thats to be expected

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Speaking as a sofware developer myself who has worked in a small software house of less than 10 people and a large software consultancy of 100s of developers. *From my experience there is no amount of testing you can do to simulate 10 of thousands of users and bugs will pop up. *The advantage of a small dev team is they know the code so well and they can fix things much more quickly that a bloated dev team.

Speaking as a pinball fanatic too with a 3-screen virtual setup input lag is a strict definite no-no. *In the virtual cabinet world we have learnt that all TV processing/interpolation needs to switched off with pinball. *A 100/120 hz TV must be switched to 50/60 hz mode (ie: game mode, just scan mode, etc). *Also personally a wireless controller defintely shouldn't not be used.*

I know lettuce on the virtual forums and I know if he is experiencing input lag then it is there and it won't be due to his setup.

Back to my first point - Farsight are a small team currently experiencing a lot of issues - maybe they have released too many platforms at once but we have all been eager for a taster. *However when you look at the complexity of their product and what they have achieved plus the high quality of their product these fixes are all relatively minor and can be redolved. * They have long term plans for this product and I amconfident they will solve these issues as they want us to buy future tables!*

Although Farsight can't respond to every comment maybe they could maintain a public defect list (maybe in this forum) *of defects they plan to fix. *Eg: PS3 input lag, *etc. *That way we can rest assure a fix is on the way.

Last edited:

btmmayor

Apr 12, 2012
Well glad you guys are experiencing the same input lag i am on the PS3 version...i thought it migh have just been me.

Yeah, I'm glad to see others seeing this as well as its literally the first thing I noticed when playing the PS3 version but did not really see anyone else comment on it.

To answer the other questions, yes I have the latest firmware (I'm online all the time on my PS3) and I have also tried plugging the controller in. I have also tried adjusting resolution from 1080p to 1080i but there was no difference.

Edit: I am also using an original 60 gig backward compatible PS3 (yes, it's still alive and kicking :) ) not sure if that could be important information.

Last edited:

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Another important detail to the people with lag, are you using a newer PS3 slim model or the older fat one?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.