GOLDENEYE is mine!!! (It's all your fault SKILL_SHOT)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I use a magnetic pen like tool:) When you turn on the game it should load up the ball shoot lane eject trough just pull them out one at a time. There are different types of bulbs make sure you get the right style it should say on the bulb.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Ok so I'm all done...for now. The machine actually has a ball eject feature in the op menu. So I did it that way. New balls in. New red rubbers on. Playfield cleaned. AND added a ton of LED's. I got into the areas I was confident I could take apart and get back together, so the GI is about halfway done. The left side of the table is a mess with all the intertwining ramps and such so that will be left for another day. Pics to follow :)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Before and after - Right ramp

There were white standard bulbs, switched them to blue 170 LEDs. As usual, they dont look nearly as good in pics

I only had to partially detach the ramp and lifted it enough to squeeze under and get at the lights.

Last edited:

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Before and after - Rails under slingshots and GI under left ramp.

Hard to see the diff in pics but its great! Changed about 6 regular bulbs and three flashers to LED. The flashers are just wildly better than the standard bulbs!

And its hard to see in this pic but I changed two of the lights in the rollover lanes at the top to red LED's (from white standard). The outer two were too hard to get at for now.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Excellent work smooverr, I bet you feel very pleased with yourself and your confidence is growing.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Excellent work smooverr, I bet you feel very pleased with yourself and your confidence is growing.

Aww shucks thanks Kev. You are absolutely right. Stepping back and seeing what I was able to do (which admittedly wasn't much) DEFINITELY has a sense of satisfaction! And ya, I'm looking at the rest of the table now and thinking, I can do that! Whereas yesterday I was like "Dear god how do I do this?!??"

Although after I installed the first set of lights (lower left rail), I tried the game to make sure it wouldnt explode and for the first (and thankfully only) time, it ejected two balls at the start of the game. My heart TOTALLY sunk, but I drained one and it hasn't happened since. Whew!

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
it ejected two balls at the start of the game. My heart TOTALLY sunk, but I drained one and it hasn't happened since. Whew!

If it does it again take a look at the switches in the trough section, mine has 3 in the trough and 1 in front of the plunger, usually micro switches with bendable pieces of wire to detect where the balls are.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
If it does it again take a look at the switches in the trough section, mine has 3 in the trough and 1 in front of the plunger, usually micro switches with bendable pieces of wire to detect where the balls are.

Yep it's doing it again. Not all the time but seems like every 2nd or third ball. I didnt touch the trough switches at all or move them. The previous owner just had them changed a little while ago too so all brand new. Could it be the new balls? Dammit. I knew I shouldnt have touched anything :mad:

There are five balls in this one so five switches.

EDIT: It seems to be working properly now. 3 games with no double launches. However, the magna save isn't tossing these balls as high as the old ones, and it seems to be a little harder to get up the ramps. Is it possible the new balls are heavier and thats whats causing the issues?

EDIT2: Yup, put back the old balls and the magna save is working as normal. I didnt know balls came in different weights?!?

EDIT3: So I switched them back and forth to see the differences and ya, for sure its the new balls. The magna save had a hard time catching AND throwing them. To the point where it just stopped working (thankfully there is a backup that auto launches if that happens). They don't have as much bounce, and roll back down the ramps alot more often. The old ones work like a charm, magna save, launching and ramps. Very weird

Guess I'll return them!

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Looking good smoovs. Its not an obsession, it's a modification. There are different reasons maybe spice up and older table or save energy less draw from CPU less heat wont warp plastics also the variety of effects and colors and they behave different than incandesent bulbs.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
What is the obsession with LED's?

Genuinely curious, not trying to start anything.

For me its a visual thing. If you've read any of my rants in the forums about the lighting in TPA you'll understand. It's the thing that attracts me to a machine more than anything else (other than the gameplay and theme of course). And the LED's just make everything POP more. I love how they look. Also they use less power and generate less heat as SKILL mentioned. So its win win win for me.

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
thats cool you can just run to a store and buy stuff!:D get some SILVER JET PREMIUMS! You wont regret it, and wax your balls.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
thats cool you can just run to a store and buy stuff!:D get some SILVER JET PREMIUMS! You wont regret it, and wax your balls.

Lol clearly you didn't click the link. Thats exactly what I bought :p

And yeah it is nice...guess I kinda took it for granted ;)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
So my friend is coming over on Friday to watch the Raptors game and he's bringing his tools with him (mine are bare essentials). He is also bringing a staple gun and needle nose pliers so I can get at the other GI lights without stripping the PF (they're all stapled to the pf underneath). Does anyone have any experience doing this that could share? Staple sizes, techniques etc.

Tom

Sep 9, 2012
EDIT2: Yup, put back the old balls and the magna save is working as normal. I didnt know balls came in different weights?!?
no it is probably not the weight, some balls are not supposed to be used on games with magnets, you prabably just got thoose. i use "Carbon Steel Pinball 1-1/16" in my x men and that game got some magnets.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.