Gta v

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I so would love to spend countless hours with GTA V, but I just can't. If I buy that game, nothing will get done and I've got too many other things that actually need my attention. I keep having to lie to myself, saying that I probably wouldn't enjoy it for whatever reason. If I can just survive the next few weeks when everyone else is basking in it's loving glow, I'll be okay!

I never did finish San Andreas, partly because I didn't like the main character, partly because it was too large a map for it to be fun for me. Probably played 2/3 of it in total. This after 100% 3 and Vice City.

I have GTA 4 sitting in my games collection, but I've never played it. I threw it in my PS3, started, but because of the overscan on my TV, the mission dialogue was completely cut off, so I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. I stopped right there and never went farther.

So those are the 2 main excuses I'm using, and the time factor, for not playing. Lame, I know, but I think it's in my best interest! Enjoy guys, I miss playing it dearly.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I so would love to spend countless hours with GTA V, but I just can't. If I buy that game, nothing will get done and I've got too many other things that actually need my attention.

I'm in the same situation, and if asked, I think GTA is probably my all out favorite game series ever.

I remember getting a demo of the first game pre-release with a PC mag (16 years ago now - Jesus!).
I've bought every single release, and special spin off, and played them to death upto and including San Andreas.
But since becoming a Parent just before IV came out, and firstly not having the time or energy, then later not wanting my child to see these kind of graphics, 4 and it's spin offs haven't had much play time.

So I've decided, GTA V will be a Christmas present this year instead of being for now.
I can still get my stuff done, and when winter is in full force, and work shifts into low gear over the holidays, I can put some time into playing it once my boys in bed without feeling guilty.

Less than a hundred days now!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm in the same situation, and if asked, I think GTA is probably my all out favorite game series ever.

I remember getting a demo of the first game pre-release with a PC mag (16 years ago now - Jesus!).
I've bought every single release, and special spin off, and played them to death upto and including San Andreas.
But since becoming a Parent just before IV came out, and firstly not having the time or energy, then later not wanting my child to see these kind of graphics, 4 and it's spin offs haven't had much play time.

So I've decided, GTA V will be a Christmas present this year instead of being for now.
I can still get my stuff done, and when winter is in full force, and work shifts into low gear over the holidays, I can put some time into playing it once my boys in bed without feeling guilty.

Less than a hundred days now!

I'm quite used to getting my gaming done in the evening once my boy has gone to sleep, but for a game that's gonna take 40+ hours JUST for the main missions, pure torture! I even had to stop playing RPGs just because I couldn't commit that much time to them. When I hear a game is a 10-14 hour experience, I'm like "whoo-hoo!!" now. I think it's why i totally got into Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and especially TPA now, simply because I can get in and out of them with no scratching of the head wondering where I am in the story from the last time I played.

I consume games like Uncharted, God of War, Tomb Raider, and most recently Mirror's Edge (thanks humble bundle!) in a matter of days, where I used to spread 'em out and dig into every nook and cranny. I do laugh that I'll lament not having played much of anything for a while and then realize that I actually have, but they're Mario titles that my son is into. Strangely I don't count those!

Dammit, I feel the pull of GTA IV with it just sitting there amongst my other games. I can hook it up to my computer monitor and not have to worry about overscan OR my son walking in and seeing anything...but if I light that fire again...oh man, what to do, what to do?? :p

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I so would love to spend countless hours with GTA V, but I just can't. If I buy that game, nothing will get done and I've got too many other things that actually need my attention. I keep having to lie to myself, saying that I probably wouldn't enjoy it for whatever reason. If I can just survive the next few weeks when everyone else is basking in it's loving glow, I'll be okay!

I never did finish San Andreas, partly because I didn't like the main character, partly because it was too large a map for it to be fun for me. Probably played 2/3 of it in total. This after 100% 3 and Vice City.

I have GTA 4 sitting in my games collection, but I've never played it. I threw it in my PS3, started, but because of the overscan on my TV, the mission dialogue was completely cut off, so I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. I stopped right there and never went farther.

So those are the 2 main excuses I'm using, and the time factor, for not playing. Lame, I know, but I think it's in my best interest! Enjoy guys, I miss playing it dearly.

I think they said something like only 15% of people who buy GTA finish all of the missions.

From what I've seen of GTA V it looks like Rockstar is really listening to what players want. My favorite GTA (3D GTA anyway) is still Vice City.
It was over the top, very funny, great 80's music, and had Ray Liotta. That's really all you need IMO.

I wanted to enjoy GTA V, but it was just too "real". They made it too serious and it felt like an extension of life. Gaming is a way for us to forget about every day stuff...I don't want to get bugged on my in game cell phone to do crap with virtual friends.

Anyway, getting back to the question. Yes, I will buy it, but not until the PlayStation 4 version hits (and yes it is on it's way).
It's not really a big surprise that it's coming to next gen consoles and PC.. They didn't spend $300 million on development to keep it on last generation consoles.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I agree with Vice City. Perfect size city, loved the humor references, the radio stations were awesome (as I love me some 80's music), and I enjoyed being the main character. Sadly, I have Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories and never cracked 'em open. I bought 'em for the PS2, but that was right before I switched to a PS3. Shoulda bought them for the PSP, as then I would have played.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I have so much work to do as well and I told my self to wait till a pc release and just hold off for a bit longer but i couldn't help myself and picked up a copy anyway. Spent at least 6 straight hours on it yesterday. I just wanted to get further into the story so I just kept additively plowing through missions. I didn't get all that far because some of those missions are really hard (especially that first race, man that was an annoying one) so it took me a bunch of deaths and failures to get the hang of them but now it all seems easier. Once it was time to go to bed at about 1:30am I noticed for the first time how cool all the pedestrians look and act. Running though the game so determined to finish missions I had neglected to take a simple look around and take it all in. I have to animate some cartoons and edit a bunch of video so i'm going to really have to not let myself get to distracted by it.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I did the first couple of missions as Franklin and then I just went discovering. I jacked a few cars then cut off a guy on the highway in a primo sports car and jacked it. I drove out into the hills and to the little airport in the desert. I tried the first stunt plane race and sucked at it. Found a little ranch next to the airport with some dune buggies and took one. Drove back to the city off road through the hills and really trashed the dune buggy. When I got to the outskirts of the city the front right tire fell off the buggy and I had to abandon it. I went to the main airport and took the blimp for a ride. Flew it up the west coast to the north and landed it on the beach. Just off the shore were some jet skis and a boat. I swam out and hopped on one of the jet skis and continued north up the coast. Up the coast a ways I found an inlet and I followed that inland to a dock and boat house. On the dock was an ATV. I stopped the jet ski at the dock, opened the phone, did a quick save and went to bed. Today I'm going to scout around on the ATV and then get back into the missions.

One thing that I was very impressed with was the look and feel of the city and surrounding areas. GTA IV did a really good job of making it feel like you were in a real working city. Like the buildings all had a purpose and the people were working and living and just going about their daily life. V takes that even further. From things like a more diverse and recognizable selection of buildings and businesses to little things like when Franklin is walking in his neighborhood some people will say hello to him by name.

I also really love the quick save feature!

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Did about a dozen missions, explored quite a bit. Ended my evening by jumping a car over a fence into the main airport and stealing a jet. Unfortunately it got shot up pretty bad so both engines died on me a little while later and I crashed just outside the desert airport when trying to land.

Lots to do, lots of fun. Was responsible and went to bed at a reasonable hour last night so I could come in and finish up this current table pack and get back to work on the PC build.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
I downloaded mine on the PS3, I really wanted it on Xbox 360, but when I get up it's always late. It takes 18 GB to load Grand Theft Auto 5, and I had to wait and wait. I didn't play it to much because I also rented World War Z to watch and loved the movie, it was a lot better then I thought it would be. I will probably play GTA 5 tonight and also play some Puppetteer to, that game is Awsome. I love the way they did the 2D graphics and the story was on stage, so fake people were watching you on stage, all you heard was their oooohs and aaaahs and laughing. All I have to say is everybody who has a Playstation 3 has to experience Puppeteer it is that good actually wild.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
first thing I did was LIGHT UP and watch TV :p

Art imitates life? :p

I really want to play it, but I'm going to hold out for the PS4 version. If the PS3 version looks this amazing I can only imagine what they will pull off with that.

Glad to see Mike enjoying the game. Maybe Farsight can work with Rockstar in the future and add a playable pinball machine inside of the GTA universe.
Though if that happened I'd probably just play virtual pinball inside of my virtual GTA house all the time.

Anyway, that's the type of DLC I would buy... arcade cabs and pinball machines to set-up inside of my GTA house.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I haven't seriously played a GTA game since Vice City and even then I didn't finish it. I remember getting to a mission where I had to control a remote helicopter and disarm bombs. The controls were so touchy that I could never finish it and ended up quitting after numerous temper tantrums.

Nonetheless, after all the cum splooging reviews I've seen I decided to take the plunge again. I don't mind dropping 60 bucks on a game since I haven't done it since Skyrim and I got tons of play out of that investment. I've played about four hours or so and have advanced from Franklin to Michael and back again. The story keeps me going and I like how I haven't even left the city yet. My main frustrations are the amount of interactions mapped to the same button, the archaic use an only partially regenerating life gauge and sometimes the controls feel unresposive during combat. Fortunately, the assist aim helps with that one and I do like how they're checkpoints throughout missions so if you fail, you don't always have to start all the way over again. And yes, quick save on your cell phone is a God send. I'll stick with it till I reach an unskippable mission (yes, you can skip some with a penalty) that makes me want to use the PS3 thumbsticks as a way of forcing my eyeballs farther back into their sockets. Or....maybe it won't come to that. I did finish Red Dead Redemption without such activities.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I bought ammo yesterday and ran out of money so I robbed a closed liquor store. Then I held up a string of convenience stores. Had one old clerk pull a gun on me and I had to shoot him. I drove an ATV up to the top of the highest point on the map and then took the cable car down. Today I used the iFruit app to make my personalized license plate and customize my car. License plate is BRAKEL of course. Maybe today I should get back to the missions! :D

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Did about a dozen missions, explored quite a bit. Ended my evening by jumping a car over a fence into the main airport and stealing a jet. Unfortunately it got shot up pretty bad so both engines died on me a little while later and I crashed just outside the desert airport when trying to land.
Better than my first go in a jet. I didn't know how to get it to turn so I drove back and forth until I got exploded by gunfire. :(

I was taking a Beetle looking buggy offroad in the northeast down a cliffside bike trail. Pretty much as far as you can get from civilization I tumbled it down a cliff and into the ocean. Took ages to climb back up and make it back to the road...had to fight off like 4 mountain lions too. Looking back on it I probably should have just hopped to another character and let him sort it out.

Anyway gotta love the awkward selfies you can take that seem very out of character.
0_0.jpg

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I thought this was hilarious. Sky bowling! I really like watching these videos from Video Gamer. The English hosts add some culture that I don't expect from a video game review in general and GTA specifically! :D

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I liked Red Dead Redemption, but I always wish the dialogue had multiple choice options like Mass Effect and The Elder Scrolls games. I hate when games force me to say things I don't want to say. It almost feels more like a movie than a game and the immersion factor is lessened. I like having more control over the story, and I get bored with canned cutscenes.

However, for mindless action, Rockstar games can't be beat.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Im seeing this game in my dreams or I should say my dreams look like this game with a map and location dots. :p I had a dream there was an arcade with pinball machines you could play, thats what I get for mixing GTAV and TPA tournament.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Im seeing this game in my dreams or I should say my dreams look like this game with a map and location dots. :p I had a dream there was an arcade with pinball machines you could play, thats what I get for mixing GTAV and TPA tournament.

That would be cool. Maybe have a demo version of one table from TPA but if you own TPA all of your tables would be in the arcade. It will never happen outside of our dreams but it would be cool!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.