jaredmorgs in San Francisco (4/10/2014 to 4/16/2014)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Didn't quite know where I should post this, but I'll be heading to California, specifically San Fran, for the Red Hat Summit (14th to 17th April).

I have *very* limited "free time from the 10th April (will be heavily jetlagged) to around 3pm on the 14th April (when I need to register for the conference.

The conference has a gruelling schedule, and I won't have much opportunity to do much of anything during this time. However, I would really love to catch up IRL with anyone here that wants to.

UPDATE::: My wife [STRIKE]will be coming over as well[/STRIKE] may not be able to make it due to circumstances that just revealed themselves, so the 10th to 14th pm will be crammed with sightseeing. If you are in the area or close to it, I'd love to catch up for a beer.

I've already been told to do the following:
(thanks for the awesome suggestions so far)

- Alcatraz Audio Tour
- Sea Lions on the Pier 39
- Ghirardelli Square
- Mexican Quadrant (not much info here, so looking for tips)
- Cable Car
- China Town

And I've been told to do the following culinary things:
(thanks shutyertrap for making me fat)

- go animal style at In-N-Out Burger,
- eat a "real doughnut",
- go to Chic-Fil-A

==Pinball Stuff==
(thanks for the awesome suggestions so far)

Free Gold Watch <== looks right up my alley
Musee Mechanique <== purely for Hyperball
Pacific Pinball <== Can easily get there by BART

I can't get to FarSight Studios due to the extremely tight schedule unless a member has a light aircraft and can land at Big Bear airport. :p

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
- Alcatraz Audio Tour
- Sea Lions on the Pier 39
- Ghirardelli Square

All 3 of these are in very close proximity to each other. Also close by, http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/

Don't even suggest doing pinball stuff (unless there is somewhere in San Fran that is recommended (I won't be hiring a car). I can't get to FarSight Studios due to the extremely tight schedule. :(

Don't worry. FarSight is about a 6 to 8 hr. drive from SF, so it shouldn't even cross your mind.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
I mentioned it in chat, but I'll mention it again.

Chinatown.

Oldest Chinese community in USA starting in 1848, easily accessible by Powell St Cable CAR. Rich cultural community. Great food at really reasonable prices. Wonderful shopping (don't forget to haggle, they love it!). Lot of other activities. The wife and kids will love it.

Timelord ...

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Free Gold Watch is hands down my new favorite pinball spot in SF http://freegoldwatch.com/
It's a screen printing shop with great lineup of about 20 or so games, everything is properly maintained/setup, and the owners are super nice. When I was last there they had WOZ & ACDC side by side, along with a great collection of beautiful games.
If you're in San Fran, and don't have time to venture out to Alameda to the Pacific Pinball museum, then Free Gold Watch is the next best place (especially if you prefer newer games). I highly, highly recommend it...

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
An absolute must for me when I visit SF is to ride the cable cars.

Defnitely doing that. I hear that you need to do this very early to avoid the crowds, and there are certain stations you get onto that are less busy.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Free Gold Watch is hands down my new favorite pinball spot in SF http://freegoldwatch.com/
It's a screen printing shop with great lineup of about 20 or so games, everything is properly maintained/setup, and the owners are super nice. When I was last there they had WOZ & ACDC side by side, along with a great collection of beautiful games.
If you're in San Fran, and don't have time to venture out to Alameda to the Pacific Pinball museum, then Free Gold Watch is the next best place (especially if you prefer newer games). I highly, highly recommend it...

Wow, that looks very interesting indeed. Based on the website, they have some pretty interesting tables there.

I'll be down that way to see the Sea Lions, so perfect opportunity.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I mentioned it in chat, but I'll mention it again.

Chinatown.

Oldest Chinese community in USA starting in 1848, easily accessible by Powell St Cable CAR. Rich cultural community. Great food at really reasonable prices. Wonderful shopping (don't forget to haggle, they love it!). Lot of other activities. The wife and kids will love it.

Timelord ...

This sounds like a great thing to do as well. Perhaps something to do in the evening (I seem to find that most places shut late in SF).

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Just to clarify, Musée Mecanique is actually at pier 45, but that's near Ghirardelli so you'll be ok. I just don't want you searching for it at the wrong place.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Just to clarify, Musée Mecanique is actually at pier 45, but that's near Ghirardelli so you'll be ok. I just don't want you searching for it at the wrong place.
Thanks for clarifying that. So do that on my way back from getting a obscene amount of chocolate to take back to my wife.

night

May 18, 2012
It's cool to rent a bike and go all the way over the Golden Gate to Sausalito, very nice little artistic village. Then take the ferry back. Alcatraz is great too, before I went there I watched Clint Eastwoods Escape from Alcatraz. I did not do the audio tour. I remember I had to order tickets in advance as it can be busy and they are not open every day of the week. Chinatown is great, go see the fortune cookie factory. I have had the best dinner on Union Square in the Cheesecake Factory restaurant.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I'm going to LV on 4th for NAB show. On 12th I'm flying to SF for a week. Maybe we can have a beer somewhere?
Australia meets Austria - :)

Thanks for asking for attractions, I think I too will visit some of them for sure!

Cheers,
Mario.

Last edited:

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
My Dad just went to San Francisco a while back, he got some pictures of the pinball at the Metreon. Six Stern machines in good condition.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm going to LV on 4th for NAB show. On 12th I'm flying to SF for a week. Maybe we can have a beer somewhere?
Australia meets Austria - :)

Thanks for asking for attractions, I think I too will visit some of them for sure!

Cheers,
Mario.
Sounds awesome Mario.

I'm using AirBNB to book "a room somewhere". It's heaps cheaper than trying to find a hotel. Some really good houses/rooms up for grabs.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts