Lord of the Rings

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I would say yes it would be a candidate and I'm sure it will be on the Premium license poll that will come soon.

That said LOTRs is my favorite table of the modern pinball. When TPA and Zen got me back into pinball I went out to look for real tables and found this particular table at Castles and Coasters here in AZ. Sadly it's no longer there and I'm not sure why. This table is so interesting with all the modes and each mode is different enough to go through them all. Multiple different multiballs etc. Great playfield. I would definitely donate for the kickstarter for LOTR and then some.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Somehow I just really dislike the theme on this one.
I like LOTR as much as the other guy, but somehow the way it's used just seems to be overdone, and even for a pinball table it makes little sense - "We have some guy named Gollum? Let's have GOLLUM MULTIBALL!", trying to cram pointless quotes from the movie (as well as a bunch of weird ones I never rememeber hearing), while filling the entire playfield with photos of the movie actors.
I would probably have liked it more if it were more modest, and going for a more general LOTR/fantasy feel from the books, rather than trying to parade their movie license all over the wazoo.

At least they aren't using the DMD to display actual movie clips like in certain other newer Sterns.

inspector42

May 27, 2012
Reached Destroy the Ring tonight at a local arcade. What a fantastic table. This is one I'd pony up for on Kickstarter.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Now this is the kind of table we need. If Zen can get Star Wars, it's only fitting TPA gets Lord of the Rings. :D

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
This table is really that good? There is one supposedly a few miles away - I'll have to o and try it.

It's a great table!
However, a lot of that is in the rule set ( http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt ), so I highly advise studying it thoroughly before facing the machine, using a picture of the playfield next to you for reference.

Important things are how to activate (and play) each of the three movie multiballs, what Gollum multiball does, and how the ring shots work (and maybe how to do modes, but it should be obvious :))

I feel that if you don't know the rules of LOTR, it feels like a random and pointless table.
One other thing I like about it is that as long as you play concentrated and controlled, you can have very long balls, but as soon as you start taking risks or shooting on the fly, it can be a drain monster.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
It's a great table!
However, a lot of that is in the rule set ( http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt ), so I highly advise studying it thoroughly before facing the machine, using a picture of the playfield next to you for reference.

Important things are how to activate (and play) each of the three movie multiballs, what Gollum multiball does, and how the ring shots work (and maybe how to do modes, but it should be obvious :))

I feel that if you don't know the rules of LOTR, it feels like a random and pointless table.
One other thing I like about it is that as long as you play concentrated and controlled, you can have very long balls, but as soon as you start taking risks or shooting on the fly, it can be a drain monster.

I went to go and play this,only to find that it was replaced with a Spider-Man table. So it'll be another week or so until I get to try it out in person.

karl

May 10, 2012
Did you play some spider man instead then? Did you like it? I think it is among the 5-6 best Stern machines so it would be a shame to not fire it up ;-)

PS! Another beginners tip regarding LOTR: Mode start is always on on every new ball (If the operator is not a mean soab) but do not shoot for the ring if the mode light is not blinking even if it is a fun shot. Failed ring shots will often end in center drains. The same can be said about the Palantir target. If you have played a mode you must collect 3 elf rings to light mode again and every mode can be changed with the flippers

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
PS! Another beginners tip regarding LOTR: Mode start is always on on every new ball (If the operator is not a mean soab) but do not shoot for the ring if the mode light is not blinking even if it is a fun shot. Failed ring shots will often end in center drains. The same can be said about the Palantir target. If you have played a mode you must collect 3 elf rings to light mode again and every mode can be changed with the flippers
That Palantir target ought to be renamed "Moria", because your ball will be thrown in the darkness of the trough if you hit it from the left flipper. And yes, so many Destroy the Ring attempts ended for me because I almost, but not quite, cleared the Ring ramp.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
do not shoot for the ring if the mode light is not blinking even if it is a fun shot. Failed ring shots will often end in center drains. The same can be said about the Palantir target. If you have played a mode you must collect 3 elf rings to light mode again and every mode can be changed with the flippers

I tend to just shoot for the ring when I have the ball cradled, it's a dangerous shot on the fly. A controlled shot will succeed nearly every time, unless your aim is off, in which case it won't even go to the ramp.
Palantir is really only worth going for when doing multiballs, or a nearly completed mode is about to time out. Sure, you can get other great rewards, but I'd prefer to take them "randomly".

Also, on the LOTR I played, the right ramp can be backhanded. That's usually safer and much easier than trying to hit it from the left flipper.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Did you play some spider man instead then? Did you like it? I think it is among the 5-6 best Stern machines so it would be a shame to not fire it up ;-)

At that point I was really running behind my schedule for the day - and since I have recently played Spider-Man ( and liked it a lot,BTW) - I had to pass. I was pretty disappointed that LOTR was no longer there.

No matter - I'm taking a trip to The Pinball Wizard Arcade in the next week or so,and I'll be sure to play LOTR then. I'll post my thoughts here when I do so...

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Been playing the Visual pinball version of this and I have to say I'm impressed in what they did with this table. Still by far the best table I've played.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I just finally got to play LOTR for the first time yesterday and all I can say is this table is truly fantastic. This immediately went to the top of my list of tables I want to own. What a great game..

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I just finally got to play LOTR for the first time yesterday and all I can say is this table is truly fantastic. This immediately went to the top of my list of tables I want to own. What a great game..

I also played this for the first time today,and I concur with all the love that this table gets! Hopefully someday it makes its way onto TPA...

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I have played it a lot on VP (I believe I still hold the FS record on a slightly earlier JP build with around 1.5B), and I would kickstart that table in a heartbeat. I find it one of the best tables when you're into deep rulesets (only the Simpson's Pinball Party is rumored to have a more complex ruleset). It's also a killer theme with good cabinet/playfield art, nice DMD animations and even movie cast speech. I have played the real thing a couple of times on different machines and besides one poorly maintained table, it played like advertised (although it kicked my behind thoroughly, the VP table is far more forgiving :) ). I love tables with stacking possibilities (modes+MB's for example), it gives a nice strategy twist to scoring. You do need to know the rulesheet, and even the one available is not yet complete. I would love to see what Farsight could do with this table, that would kick me up to the latest iPad for sure! It's probably a very expensive license but the fan interest for it would far outweigh the T2 table for example, I'm sure.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I think this is the best pin to have at home.

I really really want an ac dc cause. Think thats the most fun and will blow you away.

But....... When you just want a relaxed game of pinball, deep in the night.... You will still be blown away by acdc. So that might be not very handy at home, and maybe it get a bit boring that it is always full gas that pin.

Lotr will stand the time easely at home.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.