Modern Pinballs from 1991-2012 prefered pls

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
To be honest, I'm starting to lenjoy the older SS machines more than the "new" DMD games.

Last edited:

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
It took a while until Black Hole and Funhouse started being fun for me, but now I really like them. Gorgar and Taxi on the other hand were a lot of fun right from the start, though. Taxi is awesome and, as I said in another thread before, Gorgar is great for a quick game every now and then.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I wouldn´t even categorize Funhouse as "old". It doesn´t have a DMD, sure, and no complicated modestacking, but it still feels fresh and interesting.

A rule of thumb I came up for myself: If a game doesn´t have ramps and orbits, it´s old - because these are two things that make a table instantly feel odd to me when I play it. I like Gorgar, and even Black Hole sometimes, but they feel "2D".

By the way, it took me months to one day finally realize that Black Hole doesn´t even have the standard slingshots :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pinbot-76

Jul 11, 2012
I find the history and evolution of pinball interesting, so I'd prefer if they recreate pins from all eras... and I'm looking forward to some older EM tables. Newer tables are always welcome but I definitely want to play some of the older games too.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Speaking of EM machines, I find it kinda interesting how ASK Homework (makers of dirty chewed-up pinballs and brittle flippers) are experienting with EM-like designs recently. Some of their tables even have the old flippers that actually say "FLIPPER" on them. Some reviewer who clearly doesn´t know a lot about pinball history commented "Yeah, like I´m going to FORGET that these are flippers!"

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I group Funhouse mentally with the 1990s DMD tables just because it's a Pat Lawlor design and plays like one. You can recognize that the same mind that produced Addams Family and Twilight Zone was responsible for it.

I revived my interest in pinball with the Wii version of Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, which didn't have any of the DMD tables that required ROM emulation, so it leaned heavily on 1980s/early 90s solid-state machines with numeric or alphanumeric score displays, and I got to appreciate them. (I'd also seen some of them around in my youth.)

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
The idea of being unable to play a pinball without a DMD is just bizarre! Personally I'm watching the ball on the playfield. Is that wrong? ;)

Older games sounds being weirdo is a plus in my book.

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
I love playing games of both types. I like how they currently do 1 of each for each DLC pack. Keep up the great work Farsight, you have me and my family hooked.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Not to sound too condescending, but while I think it´s perfectly normal to have preferences, saying "I will never play this or that" reminds me of a friend of mine with whom I´ve argued for almost half an hour when he said he would never play 2D sprite based games because "why bother when you could play a game with much more realistic graphics nowadays".

Good gameplay doesn´t age. Well, in a way. Of course - older tables may lack a lot of elements you might enjoy in newer games, and I highly doubt I could ever love an EM machine like an SS one, but I appreciate every single table we get. Gorgar for instance is good for simplistic, brutal and quick fun. Plus - that spinner sound is just so satisfying and agressive ;)

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I love them all, but I will say that the older games are more fun to play with a casual group of friends because of shorter game times. Jive Time is still my go to party game. Chicks dig it. :cool:

*pops a Red Stripe*.... "JIVE TIME TOURNAMENT!"

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
That's what I think, too!
Shorter games = more fun. :D
I love Gorgar for that!
Jive Time was also the favorite of a friends daughter in the 360 version of PHOF!.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Pinball is pinball to me. In fact my three favorite tables cover 3 different types of machines

High Speed II: DMD
Eight Ball Deluxe: Early AN SS
Triple Strike: EM

Each of these tables offer great play in a different way. HS2 is fast, has great flow, great "story", awesome lightshow and uses the DMD very effectively, including a pretty awesome video mode.

Eight Ball Deluxe is fast, unforgiving, and offers a decent ruleset and a cool pinball/pool theme that works well. Hitting DELUXE is a pain and makes me cheer every time.

Triple Strike: Want to play pinball but only have 45 seconds to spare (no pun intended)? This is probably the game. Fast, furious, dead simple but still a good ruleset, tilting is GAME OVER, not just loss of ball, deceptively hard extra ball (at most 8 shots and it's yours).

Throw in classics like Strange World and Joker Poker/Royal Flush and EMs have a lot to offer.
The original High Speed or Elvira and the Party Monsters SS have a lot to offer too.

DMD machines really ushered in an amazing era for pinball and opened up a lot of possibilities, not just with the DMD but with VUK's, crazy ramps and rails and the complexity that advancements in roms also added. I don't think any era of pinball should be overlooked. Though it would be nice if EM packs could be maybe bigger than regular packs (maybe 3 tables instead of 2) but I'd still pay status quo for only 2 if they were good ones.

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
I could not disagree more. EM and early SS games sure had a simpler gameplay but they could be as fun and challenging as newer DMD machine. And most of them had incredible artwork unlike recent Stern table that are simply horrible with their ugly cut out photo, plastic ramp and cheap looking happy meal toys that clutters the playfield. There's dozens of older table that I would take before any Stern table. Big Buck pro hunter? Seriously? I would never let that thing in my house. Centaur all the way.

N

Nik Barbour

I love drop targets! - I tend to play the older tables more in TPA.
The newer tables take too long to play for my circumstances (kids / family / work).
Since BK released - I want the real table so bad! This is just my perfect holy grail table now! Been watching ebay for weeks (High speed - badly worn playfield went couple of days ago for £260ish)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I could not disagree more. EM and early SS games sure had a simpler gameplay but they could be as fun and challenging as newer DMD machine. And most of them had incredible artwork unlike recent Stern table that are simply horrible with their ugly cut out photo, plastic ramp and cheap looking happy meal toys that clutters the playfield. There's dozens of older table that I would take before any Stern table. Big Buck pro hunter? Seriously? I would never let that thing in my house. Centaur all the way.

I quite enjoy BBH, but then again, i think i'm the only person on the planet who posts in a pinball forum AND likes Roller Coaster Tycoon pinball too.

DarthVonDoom

Jun 13, 2012
I've never played Bg Buck honestly maybe it's fun but it's just too damn ugly. I don't want to bash Stern it's great they're still in business but damn their tables cost a fortune and they look cheap or/and have horrible art. I've always loved pinball because they were those crazy cool looking machine with great art and a gameplay that i love. Stern only has the gameplay. Sometimes.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012

I tend to agree. While I do enjoy an even mix of EM, alphanumeric SS, and DMD machines, I find that most of my personal favorites are non-DMD tables between 1979 and 1988. That includes Gorgar, Xenon, Haunted House, Swords of Fury, and a bunch of other alphanumerics. I think of pinball as a high form of craftsmanship amongst entertainment media, and I will agree that most of Stern's tables from the last decade don't exactly scream "artisan". I would much prefer the art of Gorgar / Jungle Lord over those "happy meal toys" VonDoom mentioned. As far as how the tables play, newer Sterns aren't bad, but they do feel unnecessarily cluttered and nonsensical when compared to the straightforward and skill-based objectives of Centaur, Black Hole, or dozens of other classics.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
@Superballs, you aren't the only one who likes Rollercoaster Tycoon, I also love it. I was very suprised I loved Big Buck Hunter Pro too, because I'm not into hunting and not fond of the shooting game. I was also pleasently suprised that I thought Wheel Of Fortune was a lot of fun to play. I didn't get into pinball until my 20's, when Addam's Family and Twilight Zone came out. I can't say I don't like older games even though I preffer newer ones like 90's and up, I love almost all System 11 games, like Bansia run, Fire!, ad a bunch others. I also have fun playing Xenon, and Eight ball deluxe (let's stop talking, and let's star chalking). I love all games except I can't get into EM's, mybe because their hard to la and your games over too fast. But I like 80's games just like 90's up too Jersey Jacks coming soon Wizard Of Oz.

Members online

Members online