New hotness on iOS & Android: Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot

Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot is a digital pinball game by Color Monkey.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Great news!

I may be talking out of my butt here but I am pretty sure I have seen some apps that have as an IAP a selection for "donate to the devs" or something like that. I would gladly send you guys a few bucks extra your way for the most excellent gift you've given us. Some of us I believe would be inclined to do so more than once. Wish I remembered the app where I saw this... I think I am overdue to contribute there too. :)

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Great news on the orignal table being kept around!

And ill also uninstall version one for a few minutes, its worth the money and support

Rbot is the best original table on ios...simple as
i imagine if i wish to donate i can uninstall the original put the new one in donate then reinstall the original from purchases.

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
Not really sure what your point is, or what this has to do with Rob-O-Bot, but just yesterday I read something citing a study at App Annie that seems to contradict what you're saying:

App Annie said:
Though Google Play had more downloads, the iOS App Store still generated 2.3x the revenue.

I'll be citing this statistic the next time anyone says "Android users like to pay for software."

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Not really sure what your point is, or what this has to do with Rob-O-Bot, but just yesterday I read something citing a study at App Annie that seems to contradict what you're saying:

I'll be citing this statistic the next time anyone says "Android users like to pay for software."

From the antagonistic tone of your comment, I would assume you are writing this as a Apple user.

To clarify, I was commenting on the insistence of folks known to use Android to uninstall the app just so they could give Color Monkey more money.

This goes against the general trend for android users not paying, which I was trying to highlight.

Back to the data in that link: I find those stats interesting.

You may also be interested in this article.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/android-closing-the-monetization-gap-2013-7

The key point here is that in app advertising is a popular revenue stream for Android, something that app Annie doesn't take into account with their stats.

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
First of all, apologies for the off-topic post here. I always light up a little when I see that there's activity in this thread, and this isn't anything. But I should probably also apologize for the snarky response up above. In a failed attempt at being clever, you're right, that was kind of dick-ish. That wasn't my intention, but that's certainly how it reads.

And that other article that you mentioned is interesting. Personally, I can't stand seeing ads in any of my apps, so apparently I've chosen the right platform. When there are ads in some of the apps that I use, like in the IMDb app, I write in vain to the developers to let me pay to get rid of them. It makes me crazy. It just feels so gross to me.

night

May 18, 2012
And that other article that you mentioned is interesting. Personally, I can't stand seeing ads in any of my apps, so apparently I've chosen the right platform. When there are ads in some of the apps that I use, like in the IMDb app, I write in vain to the developers to let me pay to get rid of them. It makes me crazy. It just feels so gross to me.

Yes, there is nothing I detest more than ads in an app. Just let the user play a demo like TPA for a limited time, that's the right way to do it. Adds feel like the software is fraudulent or spyware-kind off, I don't know.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
First of all, apologies for the off-topic post here. I always light up a little when I see that there's activity in this thread, and this isn't anything. But I should probably also apologize for the snarky response up above. In a failed attempt at being clever, you're right, that was kind of dick-ish. That wasn't my intention, but that's certainly how it reads.

No problem. Apology accepted. I was replying to your original post using my tablet, so my reply was less verbose than usual. I would have probably added clarifying statements if I wasn't in a rush like I was last night.

I'm quite happy to pay for an app to remove ads as well. I don't know what it's like on iOS, but ads can be blocked pretty easily with add blockers on rooted Android devices. That being said, I don't like to block ads for the sake of not paying. If you want quality, you have to pony-up some cash. I think Android users are finally starting to realise this.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Yes, there is nothing I detest more than ads in an app. Just let the user play a demo like TPA for a limited time, that's the right way to do it. Adds feel like the software is fraudulent or spyware-kind off, I don't know.
+1 please no ads i do not like ads in the APP these APPS either get a paid version installed by me or get deleted by me. Another turn off is "free" to download APPS that contain "buyware" like consumable balls and the like instead of just allowing you purchase the APP outright.

Last edited:

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
Hey guys!

The update is as you all know very very delayed, but it is coming, promise. And also very very soon, so don't worry. The Robobot coders are not the same as the Sortle coder (me!) so I have been doing this while we wait for them to finish the update. So the fact that the update is delayed has nothing to do with Sortle being produced in parallel.

You guys are right, it doesn't generate a lot of money so we are gonna try some new things. We are gonna move it to the Color Monkey account in the App Store as we feel that our brand is stronger. We are also gonna make it free to download with IAP to unlock unlimited play, pretty much as you are used to in TPA.

So what is this gonna mean for you guys?

Name
a. Old Robobot will get a new name.
b. New Robobot will get a new name.

Content
a. Old Robobot will be updated, but not with the update (just wait and see...)
b. New Robobot will have all the new content.

If you own Robobot
a) You will have access to the old table (as many have requested), just keep the old app. We don't want to screw you guys.
b) You will also get access to the new version for free (as you have already payed for it) using magic. What you need to do is to update the old version and have it on your device the first time you launch the new version. Then you can decide to keep or delete the old version.

So by going free+IAP we hope we can get more people to try out the game as we are pretty unknown in the pinball community. We do hope to produce more tables in the future. We think we need to make three tables before we can really hit it big, we have some really cool ideas and we have learned a lot from doing our very first pinball table. So future tables will def be a lot better.

The above is the plan for iOS. We'll see how that pans out and then plan accordingly.

I hope this answers most of your questions, and thanks for the support, you guys rock!

Thanks for the update Anders.

I notice you speak only about the iOS version in your post... Does this mean that the Android version has been shelved? :( It would be understandable with such low sales figures (as recorded on the Play Store), but perhaps following the adjustments you listed, you could do a new promotional push?

I have recommended the game to all my friends.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Note some time has passed since we last heard about a "release candidate". Is there any NEW updates as we roll into september 2013 shortly ?

inspector42

May 27, 2012
I know I'm late to the party... But holy crap. I just lost four hours to this game.

Simply fantastic. Fun layout, awesome physics, very challenging (in the best possible way). The ball spin is fantastic, and effects the strategy of which shots you take. Incredibly cool. ALMOST finished all five missions numerous times. Never quite got there.

Ran in to a weird bug once. After I started a mission, the mission hole stayed lit. I started another mission, and was able to progress through both at the same time, ultimately finishing them both. Later, hit the lit mission hole to start the final mission and the game lost the ball. No ball search, just nothing. I know the hole registered, because I got credit for the squad jackpot. Then the game just hung. I eventually shook until I tilted, but then it just sat there with a dark table. Only happened once in the five hours.

I cannot wait for your next pinball game.

inspector42

May 27, 2012
Completed the Wizard mode. It was awesome.

However, when I plunged the next ball, I noticed that there was still a ball. It was stuck in the slingshot... Inside it like a captive ball. Ball drains, nothing happens. Tilt out, game is stuck. Top 20 score down the drain. :(

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Finished the missions. Completed the multiball. Turned the robot's head. It was awesome.

However, when I plunged the next ball, I noticed that there was still a ball. It was stuck in the slingshot... Inside it like a captive ball. Ball drains, nothing happens. Tilt out, game is stuck. Top 20 score down the drain. :(

Spoilers...

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
So who's feeling my pain right now?

I must have played this table over 200 times. I can start a mission with my eyes closed. I frequently get to the fifth mission... where I routinely get my ass kicked!

Arrrrrggggghhhhh!

And a couple of times in the last day I have gotten to the fifth mission on ball #1...only to lose four drains later.

I finally gave up and went to YouTube to see the finale... but it looks like nobody has posted it on YouTube!

Curse you Rob-O-Bot!!!!! Serenity now!!!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts