New UI Public Beta

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Ah, I didn't know a button press was required for the cursor to bind.. yeah x360ce works now after you bind a/b/x/y, those without xbox gamepads are fine.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
This new UI is depressing. It might add some new filters, but overall it's definitely a big step back from what we have.
And to make it worse it's also hellishly ugly. Jesus.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I actually like the current version...won't be trying the new version. If it ain't broke... :)

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
The new ui is great, with the exception of a few things

1. I can't stand the Pinball Wizard song. Please take the vocals out or put the old song back in.
2. The whole click on a table and then press start thing. Why can't you just click or double click to start a table?

And I'm glad that the UI has Xenon as being released in 1980, but the in game table history still says 1979 and that it was the first table with multiball. Also, Harley says 2004 on the interface, 1999 in the table history, and shouldn't it be 2003?

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I tried it in 1920x1200 - not bad, at least as long as you are using a mouse (however I miss the mouse wheel to scroll through stuff!)... otherwise not nearly as good.
Luckily no problems with loosing score or anything else when joining the beta for me.

I noticed that the table icons appear stretched a little rather than square - probably a result of running at a 16:10 rather than 16:9 resolution.
Personally I'd prefer to have somewhat small icons with it all shifted a bit to one side of the screen so you can display an image of the full machine next to it once you select a table (then the goals, score etc. for that table could be displayed on that side as well) - I always liked seeing the full machine body rather than just an icon in the old GUI - gave you a better impression of the game you are about to play.
Also I see 5 rows of icons in my resolution (the 5th is not completely visible though but certainly enough to see which table goes with the icon) but can only select tables from the upper 4 rows and have to scroll down if I want anything below that.

Currently you cannot immediately see if you still on normal or wizard goals when you select a table - you just see how many out of the 5 goals you have.

The credits are missing in the "settings & options" screen.

Friends list does not have a scroll bar / up down arrow next to it, you can only see more than the initial entries by selecting one and using cursor up/down.

Table sorting is not kept - it reverts to alphabetical once you have played a table and exit it back to the menu.

The table list jumps to the top again when you display goals for a selected table - very annoying.

Font and icons still don't line up next to each other when displaying goals (again probably due to 16:10 rather than 16:9).

Not being able to just hit enter after the end of a game and then another time to start the next game is really frustrating... I don't want to have to touch the mouse for that.

edit: any reason the Pinball Arcade logo looks like something from Indiana Jones? You know, the hat and ice pick...

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Before I even try, does it work in DX11 portrait now?
Yes.

edit: any reason the Pinball Arcade logo looks like something from Indiana Jones? You know, the hat and ice pick...
Probably the logo for this month's DLC. Fireball and ElDorado EM.
The logo changes every month to match with the newest table.

The new ui is great
Please vote in this poll then... :)
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/11125-Do-you-prefer-the-new-GUI-(beta-version)-or-the-current-GUI?p=231280

Last edited:

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Just given this a whirl, initial thoughts, good and bad:

Ugly new logo on main screen, however the normal TPA logo on most other screens is ok
Ugly new font on main screen - doesn't all need to be capitals?
Music marginally better (Shame it's not The Who and a cover, but better than the old one. Although weirdly kind of miss the old one now as so used to it. Maybe better without singing?)
Ball icons on main screen very flat/sharp edges?
Cannot tell what any buttons do without clicking them, should describe what they are after a second or two of hovering over them
New "Click" noise unnecessary
Icons on the new top bar actually look quite good
Miss the picture of the machines big time (but do not miss the swirly background!)
I do like a lot how there's no lag between screens
On the table selection screen cannot scroll up and down with the mouse wheel (no "swoosh" sound which is a plus)
Don't like how when you press a button the music changes
In game, UI looks quite nice, ball selection sound ok, menu in game ok
No idea what the padlocks do?
Would quite like a folder option to sort tables manually myself, not necessarily having every single table selectable or on show

So maybe not as horrendous as I was expecting, but definitely needs a lot of work before going live IMHO

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Keyboard navigation is a must.
To separate a part of the screen and show the full machine would be nice. All that ball icons look like a candy crush game screen or sth.
+ to get rid of the singing. I am more of a elevator music guy when music is not the main focus.
Functionality is good

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
It's hard to read the table names. Why are the icons spheres on top of squares? Pick one. Pinball FX menus CRUSH the Pinball Arcade ones. It looks like a programmer is doing the artwork for PA. Hire a designer.

I don't normally have a mouse on my machine, so I can't even use the new UI.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts