New UI Public Beta

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
It's hard to read the table names. Why are the icons spheres on top of squares? Pick one. Pinball FX menus CRUSH the Pinball Arcade ones. It looks like a programmer is doing the artwork for PA. Hire a designer.

I don't normally have a mouse on my machine, so I can't even use the new UI.

I also wonder about the layout of this beta of User Interface. On my computer screen, the new UI rectangles are 4 cm, vertical and 3.5 cm. horitzontal My idea is to switch them to around and make the the vertical 3.5 and the horizontal 4 cm and then put an image of tables backglass in the rectangle. Voila, you have a more attractive "User Interface" and easier to find tables.

Another idea is that has already been mentioned is a) keep the start button, but when double clicking on a game icon that should start the game and also when the green outline highlights a game then, pressing the "A" button on the controller should start the game. Plus, fixing the way initials are entered, as mentioned above.

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
Pros:

Overall, it's very nice. I feel like it's future friendly, where you can update it much easier as needed. Some say it looks outdated, but I think it's a decent compromise between looks and practical functionality.

I love the Random button. Best new feature! I almost suggested for it to be added to the table menus, so I can go from one Random table to the next. However, it's very fast going to the Main menu, so I don't mind one extra click.

Bugs:

The version number at the bottom is half cut off. As if the Windows taskbar was cutting it off.

While sitting in the Store not doing anything for about a minute, the screen switched to Windowed mode. Not sure why, and I couldn't reproduce it.

Under the table goals, the bullet icons cut off the start of the words.

My table ratings didn't save.

Suggestions:

The Home button was not obvious to me, until "?" helped me find it. Making it a little more obvious somehow would be nice.

When sorting, it's not clear on the year, manufacturer, etc, until clicking on the table. It would be nice to see that info for all the tables automatically, maybe listing it under each icon or something.

More accurate rating sorting would be nice. When I have to group 66 tables into only 5 rating groups, that doesn't split them up enough. Maybe a Custom option, where I can sort each one myself would solve this.

A mute button for the Pinball Wizard music would be nice. Or maybe the option to change it in the settings. You can choose Pinball Wizard (default), mute, Pinball Wizard (instrumental), arcade ambience, etc.

The Flyers still look horrible (and the bottom on many of them seems to be cut off). I love the history/museum aspect of The Pinball Arcade, but sometimes it seems like that takes a back seat. Like, way in the back.

A clickable news ticker to a browser would be nice (so there's actually a link to Kickstarter, etc).

It would be nice if there was a better indication of already having purchased a Season/table/etc, instead of just a lock. Maybe I don't play this game often and I forgot I already bought Season 4. I really wouldn't want to buy it again, which is easy to do.

I'd rather the Kickstarter credits be located under the table options, rather then the main options.

Some tables are hard to read the titles: Black Knight 2000, Black Rose, Bride Of Pin*Bot, Earthshaker, FunHouse, etc. I like the icons. I don't love them. I miss seeing the full table. Although I don't know how that could be easily incorporated.

Get rid of the word "table" throughout the game, and replace it with "machine". That's the more correct term, and I don't think the usage of the word "table" was used before virtual pinball (correct me if I'm wrong).

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
There are padlock symbols on all icons for season 4 + season 5, although I own all tables. I can play them though.

All in all it's a long way to go until this is really usable in a intuitive way and if I really have to start explaining what is wrong with this, I am really worried about the abilities of the UI programmers. My only hope is, it's more an Alpha than a Beta.

The look is okay, nothing great. I'd really love to see some details of the table which is currently selected - like a picture of the complete machine, some facts below it and some view of my ranking in the friend list with scores so I know how many points I'm away from my next opponents etc.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I use my controller, a Logitech f710, and am able to move the cursor without needing a mouse. I do have to use the d-pad instead of the analogue stick, but you can move the cursor with a controller.

I agree with the double clicking an icon to play the machine. Right now with it being you select the table and then move the cursor to the corner to select start, it doesn't flow. Same with once you get in the table, you again have to move off the options in center of screen to push the start button once more at the bottom. I don't like that.

Here's an option I'd love...in the controller settings, letting us set up the sensitivity of the tilt when using the analogue stick. I don't mean the actual game tilt settings, but the zones on my controller. That way if I want to be able to take the stick right to the edge without it causing a hard slam, I could. Or I could make it so I only barely have to touch the stick to make it have a solid nudge.

I also saw elsewhere the suggestion of adding a 5th box to the opening page, that could be labeled 'collection', that gets you right to all the tables, rather than having to decipher that one of the icons in the upper left does just that. I KNOW that's where it is, and I still look to the 4 boxes at first glance.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Here's an option I'd love...in the controller settings, letting us set up the sensitivity of the tilt when using the analogue stick. I don't mean the actual game tilt settings, but the zones on my controller. That way if I want to be able to take the stick right to the edge without it causing a hard slam, I could. Or I could make it so I only barely have to touch the stick to make it have a solid nudge.

This is should be possible 3rd party (x360ce, thumb stick tab), and first party if you buy the elite xbox controller (analog stick profiles). People have been asking for softer nudging and other features for years so I doubt they'll get to any recent feature requests anytime soon.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
This is should be possible 3rd party (x360ce, thumb stick tab), and first party if you buy the elite xbox controller (analog stick profiles). People have been asking for softer nudging and other features for years so I doubt they'll get to any recent feature requests anytime soon.

On the program use for my ps4 controller, DS4Windows it apears one can adjust the controls in every way, including sensitivity. Never messed with it myself, just changed around flipper buttons

tenparts

Aug 1, 2015
The new UI seems ok. I kinda like the way everything's set up, but I think the game modes should be the default screen. I don't really like pure symbols for buttons, just put words in the buttons). The new selection cards make it kinda annoying to pick a table, though I commend the attempt to make most of the tables clickable without having to scroll. Resolution's weird, and as already mentioned some elements are cut off. I think there should be some sorting options for the tables; sort by date of table, sort by data of TPA release, things like that.

What does it matter if it's dated or not? I'd love for the UI to be dated about 1738, myself.
Agreed. "Dating" is stupid, and whether or not either of these UIs are "ugly" depends entirely on what year it is and not at all on the actual merits of either design. If something really hasn't aged well, it probably wasn't very good to begin with.

Also, Harley says 2004 on the interface, 1999 in the table history, and shouldn't it be 2003?
Well, the first edition was released in 1999. The one in TPA is supposed to be the third edition, which IPDB has never found a year for (other places agree that it's 2003). I think being able to switch between the editions for games like this would be an interesting Pro feature.

Last edited:

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I think there should be some sorting options for the tables; sort by date of table, sort by data of TPA release, things like that.
Um.. wut? The new UI is all about sorting. It's pretty much the main feature.

Last edited:

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Um.. wut? The new UI is all about sorting. It's pretty much the main feature.

Just confirms that I wasn't the only one, at first, who didn't take immediate notice of the arrows.

Fingers crossed they'll do some kind of update for the public beta, they said they wanted feedback for about a month but they said that 3 months ago and little went into obvious issues for portrait so I have my doubts about any sort of quick iteration.

I would think portrait is a huge deal since it's a mobile form factor

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
The menus are crashing a bit too much for me right now, you can't even play the tourney. I like the more streamlined and faster UI (and Pinball Wizard with vocals!), but I'm finding it a unbearably unstable.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Just noticed another thing to work on; when you are looking at the standard and wizard goals, no longer are you able to click on them and get the specific instructions on how to achieve the goal. That was a handy feature.

Also, just to reiterate some things regarding navigation with a controller. There should be a consistency with making selections, and it should either be always using the d-pad to make selections, or always using the analogue stick. So selecting a table can be done with the stick, but actually starting it you need to use the d-pad to move the cursor to the start button. Or when you pause a table, you select up and down the menu choices with the stick, but with other boxes that pop up you have to use the d-pad to select your choice (like when a demo comes to an end, you need the cursor to exit out).

Make it simple and consistent. My choice would be to always use the analogue stick, and allow the A button to be double tapped to advance into playing. Continue using the B button for going back and exiting. Don't make us switch around and have unnecessary input methods.

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
It looks like the UI was updated a few days ago with the new tables and some bug fixes.

Pros
-I like the Tables icon better then what was there before.
-In the Goals menu, the buttons are no longer overlapping, and instructions are there.
-The version# is no longer cut off in the DX9 version (it still is in the DX11).

Cons
-El Dorado says New which is nice, but Fireball doesn't. Also, on the main page, only El Dorado is represented as the latest release. It would be nice to have them both up there.
-In the DX11 version, there are gold locks on the pro tables I own, but silver locks on the ones I don't, which is confusing. In the DX9 version, it's a little Pro icon instead of a lock, which is fine.

Suggestions
-Table Exploration should also do the backbox.
-When in the Table Select menu, double clicking a table should bring you right into starting the table. This has been suggested before, but my additional suggestion would be that a single click would slide all of the table icons over, and you're displayed the cabinet view of that selected table, as if it's being displayed lovingly in a museum, with additional information like a history plaque, flyers, etc.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
-Table Exploration should also do the backbox.
keyboard shortcut is page up/down, right stick for controller input

As for UI feedback, perhaps make a display option under Settings & Options to change between how the tables are displayed, for a list of names or an icon view.. why not both? I like flicking up and down lists on mobile so why not.

Oh I see now, the grey tabbed tables don't have the pro menu available.

Last edited:

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
keyboard shortcut is page up/down, right stick for controller input

Ah, thanks for that! It's not a feature I use often. I was about to complain about not being about to go up/down, but I see the -/+ does that. It would be nice if there were some instructions.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

When entering initials in DX11 1080x1920 on a table that does not have native high-score entry:
08CF341AAE1C70577658790A0CDF56E0897E7DF7

In addition - with an X360 controller (native Windows 10 drivers, flippers re-mapped to bumpers, alt. flippers re-mapped to D-pad), using the triggers to cycle the letters works, but pressing 'A' does not select the letter. Instead he mouse or cursor must be used to highlight and press the 'Select' button.

Regarding navigation with a controller: it still currently feels like an enormous backwards step. Yes, there's a cursor. Yes, the cursor can be used to get to the parts of the UI that can't be got to with the left stick or D-pad. This will not fly with console users, who are used to being able to navigate menus quickly and easily using just the D-pad and 'A' button (or equivalent).

The old UI has these advantages over the new UI as far as navigation using a controller is concerned:
- Any menu item can be highlighted using the D-pad;
- The bumpers can be used to scroll the table list.

I suggest that you pick up an X360 controller, throw away your keyboard and mouse, and try using the UI. See how quickly you get frustrated with the inconsistencies.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

More on entering initials with a controller and the keyboard.

On tables that have native high score entry (pretty much all the System 11s and DMDs), it goes like this:
- You can use the trigger buttons to cycle through the letters.
- To select a letter, you must press the 'Select' button or use the control/key mapped to the table's own 'Enter' key (nearly always the 'Start' button... which when you're in table emulation mode, isn't mapped anywhere on the controller or keyboard - except on tables with auto-plungers where the right stick normally used to control a manual plunger also counts as triggering the auto-plunger when it's pulled down). Anyway - to press the 'Select' button, on a manual plunger table, you need the cursor. Pressing 'A' doesn't work. Pressing 'Enter' on the keyboard doesn't work, either. So you need the cursor. On a controller, the cursor is controlled by the left stick - except if you're in table emulation mode, the left stick nudges the table, even during initial entry. So you're left with the only option of grabbing your mouse to activate the cursor to press 'Select'. Which if you're sitting on your couch with your mouse nowhere to be found, is a bit tricky. Not to mention impossible on a console where there isn't a mouse.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts