New XBox

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Poorly redesigned controller? They've taken the 360 controller, which is widely considered to be one of the best controllers ever made and addressed the major complaints about it, namely the poor d-pad, and made some overall improvements.

Oh well, guess I'm in the minority about being much more impressed with what Microsoft had to show then with what I've seen of the PS4.

Ark, I agree with you, the Xbox 360 controller is a great controller. I use the corded PC version, which I use to play TPA (along with a few other games). I just don't think the re-design takes the controller forward in any way. Of course, that's just my opinion based on first impressions and photos.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I like the look of it, I've always wanted my console to look like a piece of AV/HIFI equipment rather than a toy or an electric heater.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
microsoft-xbox-one-4877_610x407.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57585543-221/six-challenges-for-integrated-tv-on-the-xbox-one/

I'd never even heard of HDMI IN before.................... interesting to see more details on the LIVE TV / PVR support.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I don't see the benefit of watching TV through the Xbox. I already have my directTV receiver that works perfectly fine and I don't see how now using two devices ( one of which will probably have a fan that sounds like a 747) is an improvement.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
They should named it xbox usa. Uninteresting console outside the states. Kinect.... Pfffffff.

This is not a gameconsole, its a media device that plays games. So, as a gamer, you pay for syuff you dont need, want or wont be able to use cause you live outside the usa.

Its the end of xbox, and it will be an epic fail, certainly outside usa.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
They should named it xbox usa. Uninteresting console outside the states. Kinect.... Pfffffff.

This is not a gameconsole, its a media device that plays games. So, as a gamer, you pay for syuff you dont need, want or wont be able to use cause you live outside the usa.

Its the end of xbox, and it will be an epic fail, certainly outside usa.

I've got news for you. It's not that interesting inside the USA either. I have a number of suggestions on just what they can do with thier Kenect....

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't see the benefit of watching TV through the Xbox. I already have my directTV receiver that works perfectly fine and I don't see how now using two devices ( one of which will probably have a fan that sounds like a 747) is an improvement.

They want you to ditch the DirecTV box completely. Or at least that's my guess. I know my Dish receiver no longer uses a smart card, so there might be a way of authorizing the Xbox as your receiver instead.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I am quite underwhelmed, especially (as has been mentioned before) at their focus at the common-denominator-US citizen. I like my 360 and it's games, but the 3 least interesting features of the current machine are:
1)The multimedia apps/capabilities.
2)The sportsapps.
3)Kinect

And yet the whole presentation hinged on the above (in a way that makes it even less useful for EU, as we don't have comcast or direct TV and the likes). I'm not sure that the tidbit that I can watch TV on my TV should blow me away. The coolest bit I heard came after the presentation, and that was regarding the multitasking capabilities (ie: suspend your game to browse the web, use an app or whatever) and all that lets me do is play LESS of my game easier.

Can't say I'm surprised at all of course, as this has been their direction since 2 dashboard updates ago. But to go a whole 1 hr press conference with exactly one demo's worth of ingame footage (a racing game at that, which is on the bottom of my list of interests) is even less than I expected.

There's talk in the gamespress (giantbomb specifically) that this was all due to the fact the press conference was televised so they had to focus on TV, Sports, Call of Duty and EA, which I can see the logic of, but come E3 I want to see some games. I have some sort of green light from the Mrs. to buy a next gen console in the upcoming 18 months, and for now it just seems Sony is covering my interest more.

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I believe it was always Microsoft's 'intention' (yeah right) to show the console itself now, with the games following later at E3. That just made the rather bland reveal all the more bland.

This all smacks of design by committee to me.

As for 'in-game' footage, I didn't see any. What little was shown was the usual cinematic rubbish that tells us nothing.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Actually the live TV stuff is probably the best the Xbox One has to offer.
Since I only subscribe to basic cable ($10/month) and Netflix, it won't do me much good.

These commercial boxes will NEVER make good media servers because they don't give the consumer any control I've their owned content. I have 9TB of backed up movies, and 800 DVD/BR discs which I like to backup to MKV. I'd have to convert that once again to another format to play on the Xbox One.

It's funny because the Xbox 1 makes a better media player than the Xbox One in terms of playable file types when XBMC is installed.

Also:
1: Microsoft couldn't have chosen a dumber name for it.
When the 360 came out people were already calling the original Xbox, the "Xbox 1". I guess the Xbox 720 was too obvious. Either that or some shmuck bought the domain as soon as the 360 was announced.

2: it looks like a 1996 DELL desktop. I would be too tempted to place a 19" SVGA CRT on top of it! ;)

3: MS still can't touch the library of exclusives that Sony has.

4: that video demo of the guy switching channels with his hands. Does anyone really want to do that in real life? He looks like he's desperately wafting a fart away from himself... All to switch to ESPN.
Then you have voice control. Has anyone tried to use this while watching a movie at a decent volume? There is no way it would work properly.

5: No used game support or backwards compatibility whatsoever. These were rumors for a long time, but now it's official.
Making it so you can't play a friend's disc in your Xbox One without paying a fee to MS makes them seem even more greedy. I understand they don't make money from used game sales or rentals, but I think this is a bad idea and will bite them in the ass.

Does anyone remember how much heat Capcom got for pulling their Resident Evil Merca 3DS DRM where you were unable to delete your save file from the cartridge which killed the value of the used version. One look at it on Amazon.com will give you an idea of what people felt about that!

Sony is looking like a champ right about now.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.