New XBox

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I find it hilarious that PS3 users always touted the free online service for PS3 as a big deal and how evil MS was for having a paid service for online. Now that they have PS+ and have confirmed that you have to pay to play online with the PS4, they say it was necessary. :rolleyes:

Plus Sony just came out and said that the DRM policy they announced at their press conference was for Sony published games only and that they will let 3rd party publishers decide how they want to handle DRM on the PS3. I guess good on Sony for managing to sidestep all of the controversy and let Microsoft take all the hits, but I don't believe for one second that they are this saint that everyone is making them out to be.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I find it hilarious that PS3 users always touted the free online service for PS3 as a big deal and how evil MS was for having a paid service for online. Now that they have PS+ and have confirmed that you have to pay to play online with the PS4, they say it was necessary. :rolleyes:

Plus Sony just came out and said that the DRM policy they announced at their press conference was for Sony published games only and that they will let 3rd party publishers decide how they want to handle DRM on the PS3. I guess good on Sony for managing to sidestep all of the controversy and let Microsoft take all the hits, but I don't believe for one second that they are this saint that everyone is making them out to be.

No, Sony is not a saint....just less evil than MS :)

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I totally agree that Microsoft completely blew their messaging on many aspects of the Xbox One. Seems like they made the mistake of being honest on some things and now they're taking the beating for it. I'll be surprised if Sony doesn't back track even more on some of the things they got standing ovations for at their press conference. Hey good job on them for carefully crafting what they said so that they sound so appealing compared to MS. I just don't buy it.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012

It's the same DRM setup as they have now on the PS3. There's nothing built into the console, but the publishers can come up with some online pass scheme if the want. The Xbone however is designed with it built in, and checking it ever 24 hrs. Big difference.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

I have always said that PS3 users get what we pay for and that we'd be better off with a paid multiplayer experience. :rolleyes:

Basically Sony's DRM policy is like their region free policy and they aren't changing. Publishers have the ability to region lock their games. Only one has for the PS3. They leave DRM up to the publishers as well. The only "used game policy" that publishers have done so far is to charge for an online code if the original one has been used.

Corporations are neither good nor evil; neither greedy nor generous. They exist for one reason only. Make money for their owners or shareholders.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
That remains to be seen on Sony's DRM policy IMO. I just can't believe that Microsoft would come up with this whole DRM scheme on their own without there being some push from the publishers. They have absolutely nothing to gain off of it except maybe more third party confidence and favoritism when it comes to exclusives. Seems like EA is leaning towards MS on the exclusive front (Titanfall, PVZ shooter) but I'm sure there was some money involved there. Just don't see how 3rd parties would be OK with one console having DRM policies that favor them while the other doesn't. Guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
That remains to be seen on Sony's DRM policy IMO. I just can't believe that Microsoft would come up with this whole DRM scheme on their own without there being some push from the publishers. They have absolutely nothing to gain off of it except maybe more third party confidence and favoritism when it comes to exclusives. Seems like EA is leaning towards MS on the exclusive front (Titanfall, PVZ shooter) but I'm sure there was some money involved there. Just don't see how 3rd parties would be OK with one console having DRM policies that favor them while the other doesn't. Guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

I owned both a 360 and a PS3 for much of this generation of gaming. I wound up selling the 360 because I wanted to change to a smaller media rack. It is a little confusing to me why MS would deviate so much from what their core players want except to assume that in this new world of gaming that they aren't going after their core console gamers for this generation.

What's even more confusing is why you wouldn't believe what Sony is saying based on MicroSoft alienating their core console players. You don't understand what MS is doing so therefore Sony must be up to something?

It might be a giant game of chicken. If publishers are offering exclusives to MS then Sony is hoping that their tactic sells more consoles and the publishers have to back off to get a piece of Sony's pie. MS is hoping that Sony blinks and gets with the publisher's DRM program so that they are competing more equally.

Whatever the deal is, I've never been more interested in a hardware war! :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I agree, this was a giant game of chicken between publishers and console makers.

Wii U lost, but then that was a forgone conclusion since publishers are moving on to more powerful systems. EA was gonna ditch them no matter what.

MicroSoft blinked and probably assumed that Sony would too. After all, why would you piss off one of the largest game publishers? Sony called their bluff, and now we'll see how it shakes out. Publishers wanted the consoles to take the PR hit, and now Sony just shoved it back in their face. Sony = good, EA = bad (again).

The strength Sony has over Xbone is that they have waaaay more first party publishers than MS. That means there will be way more games without DRM (for lack of a better term) than MS can hope to have. IF Sony wins in sales of consoles, they force the hand of the publishers to deal with them or sell a lot less games. It's a huge game of chicken, and Sony just accelerated.

As for PS+...no, I'm not happy about HAVING to pay for online. I think it is a mistake since PC won't be charging. That being said, it is a great service. Look, if I was able to ala carte my satellite programming, I'd nix most of the the sports networks so that I could see my bill plummet. But I can't, so I make piece with it. However, I won't be getting a PS4 anytime soon, so in the meantime I still won't be paying a monthly service!

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I agree, this was a giant game of chicken between publishers and console makers.

Wii U lost, but then that was a forgone conclusion since publishers are moving on to more powerful systems. EA was gonna ditch them no matter what.

MicroSoft blinked and probably assumed that Sony would too. After all, why would you piss off one of the largest game publishers? Sony called their bluff, and now we'll see how it shakes out. Publishers wanted the consoles to take the PR hit, and now Sony just shoved it back in their face. Sony = good, EA = bad (again).

The strength Sony has over Xbone is that they have waaaay more first party publishers than MS. That means there will be way more games without DRM (for lack of a better term) than MS can hope to have. IF Sony wins in sales of consoles, they force the hand of the publishers to deal with them or sell a lot less games. It's a huge game of chicken, and Sony just accelerated.

As for PS+...no, I'm not happy about HAVING to pay for online. I think it is a mistake since PC won't be charging. That being said, it is a great service. Look, if I was able to ala carte my satellite programming, I'd nix most of the the sports networks so that I could see my bill plummet. But I can't, so I make piece with it. However, I won't be getting a PS4 anytime soon, so in the meantime I still won't be paying a monthly service!

What he said! ;)

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
“If you live in one of the states that unfortunately will not receive Xbox One support at launch, here are a few suggestions on what you can do,” said the representative, “You can relocate to a state that has Xbox One support, you can purchase an Xbox 360 which has no location restrictions, or you can wait patiently until support arrives at your state by 2015 or later.”

Come on guys, relocate just to play a gaming console at launch. ;)

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Oh that is just ridiculous. A few more choices like this and the Xbone could be M$'s last gen console.

EDIT: It's fake.

Last edited:

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Here's an interview Major Nelson did with Reddit with some good question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M

Unfotunately, the interviewer doesn't really follow up on anything, so although the questions are the right questions, the answers are incomplete at best.

The one thing that Major said that is VERY intriguing to me is the fact that you can supposedly plug the 360 into the HDMI in that the One has and have some of the One's functionality. Not sure what that would be and of course the interviewer didn't follow up at all, but this would be great for those that already own a 360, basically giving backwards compatibility functionality.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Not sure what that would be and of course the interviewer didn't follow up at all, but this would be great for those that already own a 360, basically giving backwards compatibility functionality.
I don't think keeping your old machine next to your new machine is generally counted as backwards compatibility. It's not any more backwards compatible then putting both a One and a 360 on a HDMI splitter. It's like saying you could hook in a PS4 as well, and claiming your Xbone can play PS4 games.

If, as a MS rep, you start touting this as a feature, you are truly grasping for straws.

Last edited:

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
OK, well what if they build some functionality into the OS so that the overlays, switching, snap, Skype, etc. work and so that you can use an Xbox One controller to play 360 games. Not saying that they will do any of that, but to me that's basically backwards compatibility and something I would personally be excited for. It's not putting the 360 chipset into the Xbox One (which would bump up the price considerably), for true BC, but close enough for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.