Next DLC is Monster Bash and Gorgar

an ox

May 28, 2012
yay! I've been hoping Gorgar would come out. Soon his mighty nipples will adorn my iPad 3 :D.

As for awful promo videos (well audio really)...

GORGAR SPEAKS! :D

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I ho[e we're getting a possibility to do Lymans lament as well (see start of http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/monster-bash/)
Lyman's Lament is part of the ROM, so I don't see why not. Given that TotAN's Harem/Genie glitch was left intact, we'll probably even be able to do the multiplayer flipper code exploit for Lyman's Lament as well. (Which means pay no attention to the leaderboards for this table, I'm afraid.)

Turbine

May 19, 2012
MB looks good, can't wait for that. Never played it, but I've loved all the tables released so far so expecting good things! Not too excited about Gorgar (ranked 55 places below Black Hole) but will buy the pack and get it anyway.

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
MB looks good, can't wait for that. Never played it, but I've loved all the tables released so far so expecting good things! Not too excited about Gorgar (ranked 55 places below Black Hole) but will buy the pack and get it anyway.

IMO, Gorgar is far better than Black Hole. Same sort of play in that you have to slowly power up the whole playfield before you can start scoring but when you do it FEELS like you are making points. A fully lit up Black Hole still feels as lifeless as it always does. Love Gorgar on WPHOF, its about the only reason I still put it in the ps3. It is a merciless game, there is no "I can beat it like a rented mule" point to this game, sometimes it will still outright humble you.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Nice to see so much love for Gorgar in this thread. :) Usually I just see people hating the table.

I only played Monster Bash on VP without sound (couldn't get it to run) but it seemed fun. A diner around my corner has the actual table though, I finally need to get my hands on it before it gets released for the PS3. But there should be more than enough time to do that. ;)

Looking forward to that pack! :)

SquareWire

May 31, 2012
Nice to see so much love for Gorgar in this thread. :) Usually I just see people hating the table.

I don't think that people are actually hating Gorgar. I think many people never had the opportunity to try these older machines. I was a kid during the DMD boom, so I have never got to play these old EM tables which makes me sort of uninterested BUT I'm curious to try it out and probably gonna purchase it anyway. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it as much as I'll the Monster Bash, but that's just me. Anyway... I cannot wait!

Draftcard

May 10, 2012
ill take em :)

monsters bash is a great table, another good one.
i really like the creature from the black lagoon too, and i imagine that will follow shortly

Gorgar is pretty cool too if you consider the year it came out. It gets a little boring if you are used to newer tables with more bells and whistles, but the table has excellent artwork and sounds. I wound up playing it more than i expected to in PBHOF.

personally i like that each dlc release has a newer table and a one from like 10 years before. a nice variety for what everyone likes.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
This is a really, really great pack. Fantastic modern table paired with one of the all-time classics. I can only pray that they figure out the timing of the console DLC releases a bit better and we can see this on Xbox before the end of the summer.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
This pack will make 10 tables, does that mean we will also see some new modes added to the game?

Looking forward to see how different Gorgar is from the HOF collection.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I only played Monster Bash on VP without sound (couldn't get it to run) but it seemed fun.

I don't think I ever played a Monster Bash in VP that came close to feeling like the real thing. One of my favourite WPC games and I can imagine it translating to TPA really well. Great contrast in bundling it with Gorgar too. I may not love it like I love Black Knight but I can guarantee it will still get played loads.

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
I don't think that people are actually hating Gorgar. I think many people never had the opportunity to try these older machines. I was a kid during the DMD boom, so I have never got to play these old EM tables which makes me sort of uninterested BUT I'm curious to try it out and probably gonna purchase it anyway. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it as much as I'll the Monster Bash, but that's just me. Anyway... I cannot wait!

lack of DMD does not mean it's an EM...

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I think many people never had the opportunity to try these older machines. I was a kid during the DMD boom, so I have never got to play these old EM tables which makes me sort of uninterested

Gorgar is SS ^^, It's just a tad dated, with not many gameplay "hooks" like multiball, modes, seperate playfields or toys. It's very barebones and therefor purists will probably appreciate it. While I don't think a DMD is necessary for a good pinball game (Taxi and Funhouse are among my top 5 all time) and too many rules can make a table hard to get into (looking at you RBioN), Gorgar is a bit too "pure" for my tastes.

Still buying it though, either in a pack on ps3, or for 1 buck extra in the pack on IOS.

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I think it's also good to have older tables like Black Hole and Gorgar in the collection to get a feeling of history. Flashy, modern tables are great for their complexity, scoring potential and just general style, but once in a while I love to play simpler games, because for me as a newcomer it's very interesting to see how pinball has evolved over time.

So to me not every table should be all about long-term replayability, but also about preserving these landmark games.

Oh, and I agree with bavelb, I love the tables like Funhouse, Taxi, Whirlwind etc that strike a good balance between being complex enough to be interesting but not confusing or obtuse. Which doesn't mean I don't love playing a credit of RBION here and there just for the pure insanity of it all ;) Likewise, I sometimes just want a simple, pure round of Gorgar or Black Hole.

I think I would be bored pretty quickly if we only had modern DMD games in TPA, I really love the diversity we have right now and wouldn't mind even having some EM games in there once all the top SS and DMD games have been done.

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
The era I hope gets more than its fair share of space on TPA are the WMS system 11 games. For me this is the sweet spot, its got the game that took me from a kid who played pinball to a pinball player, High Speed. Can remember playing it at a Red Robin in Boulder CO after a movie birthday party and oh man, was I ever hooked.

Grew up playing the first generation SS games but they never had that *it* factor of the system 11 games.

Alien Poker, Gorgar, Black Knight, Future Spa and Barracora were games to play if they were there where you were.

Funhouse, High Speed, Whirlwind, Police Force, Taxi, Diner, Cyclone, Bat Cats, Dr Dude, Earthshaker, Elvira, PIN*BOT, Jokerz!....these were the REASON to go on a mission to seek out an arcade, bowling alley, bar or corner store with the right games.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.