No Release Date Yet?

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
They haven't stopped working on the Wii U version. FS just had to make sure the Xbox One version was good and had to release season 2 for PS4. After this, I'm sure we'll hear something for the Wii U version for Q1 2015.

I really hope your right. Playing on the gamepad would be an awsome option. I like playing on my kindle but prefer physical buttons. Vita's good for portable but not the same as a console version in the palm of my hands would be.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Any news? The xbox one version came out, so their focus isn't on that anymore. Is this still happening on Wii U? I hope so.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Any news? The xbox one version came out, so their focus isn't on that anymore. Is this still happening on Wii U? I hope so.
Gosh. I've never bedn so eager to double dip on any product as I am with TPA. I currently using the Ouya as my Pinball simulator, but I enjoyed Zen on the Wii-U. I've downloaded all the non-Marvel tables, including tne separate Star Wars app. Then there's the two Babylon pinball games on the Ouya now, but they've got more a 2D Scifi vibe rather than going for realism like Zen and TPA. The hot pinks, oranges, turquise, and purple color themes get heavyon the eyes.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Funny thing is, Wii U is taking over my life. I feel like I like video games again. I'd love it if TPA was released on it, but honestly don't feel affected in the least.
I would purchase it in a heartbeat but for the first time in a couple years TPA has serious competition for what's in my wallet.

Bayonetta 2 - It took me a month to play the game I actually bought because I was busy playing through the first game. Got into the second game and loving every moment of it. This is highly technical button mashing at its absolute finest.

Super Smash Bros - Between all the previous games I've played a grand total of about 15 minutes, on the Wii. I've never really been into it. But I picked this up and I love it. Online is great as long as nobody has a shoddy connection (then it's bullet time smash), but the game is great and I have a blast playing with my daughter.

Mario Kart 8 - Absolutely a joy to play, between new tracks and remastered old tracks (original rainbow road - hell yeah!). Online play is fun. The only disappointment is the lack of dedicated battle mode arenas. Even the DLC is awesome (as mentioned above, original rainbow road!!!)

Mario Kart - Yep, cashed in my Club Nintendo coins for the Wii VC version and payed 1.50 to upgrade it to Wii U, so I wouldn't have to boot into Wii mode all the time and can play it on the gamepad or pro controller. Still love this classic and glad to have a legit version again.

Super Mario 3D World - Another game that I have a lot of fun playing with my daughter, and my mom when she can come over to play. A great homage to older 2D Mario Games with precise platforming and that damn timer is back to make sure you have to balance exploring with hauling ass to the flag pole at the end. I've not put much serious time into this game alone but I can't wait to have it on the top of my need to play now list.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - I can't say enough about this game. The controls are irksome at first, they start off feeling kind of unresponsive but they are the way they are and it's got a nice feel to it when you are used to it. Momentum plays a big part in jumping and DK feels like he has some heft to him. Poor Diddy Kong though is probably the least useful partner in the game. The graphics are phenomenal, the level design is great, the music is amazing. The game is tough. This is old-school kick your butt platforming at it's finest. Made by Retro Studios, who brought us Metroid Prime...speaking of which...

METROID PRIME TRILOGY - (Released later in January) Ok, let's cover the Wii "VC" (they do play right from the Wii U menu, no need to boot into Wii mode). They have released Mario Galaxy 2 as of the 14th and until the 21st it will only be 10$ (each Wii game announce will be half price for the first week after it's release). Wii Punch out is released later on this month (Jan 22) I think, and then...METROID PRIME TRILOGY. That's right, for 10$ you can own the Metroid Prime Trilogy on your Wii U. Let me put this in perspective. In December, I won an auction for a Collectors Edition copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy in the metal tin box and yadda yadda yadda. It came to 67$ USD, having it shipped to Canada, I had to pay shipping and import fees...plus exchange. Total in Canada dollars? 127$ I'm not mad...but still this is great news if you are a Metroid Prime fan. This is a sought after game.

I can't rave enough about the Wii U. It might be "underpowered" but for the first time in a long time, I truly love video games again.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I bought my boy a Wii U for Xmas. I haven't touched New a Super Mario U, but he has. Just picked up Smash Bros yesterday. I am utterly confused by it, and my son took to it like a duck to water. And here I thought he was gonna be mad at me crushing him!

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Funny thing is, Wii U is taking over my life. I feel like I like video games again. I'd love it if TPA was released on it, but honestly don't feel affected in the least.
I would purchase it in a heartbeat but for the first time in a couple years TPA has serious competition for what's in my wallet.

Bayonetta 2 - It took me a month to play the game I actually bought because I was busy playing through the first game. Got into the second game and loving every moment of it. This is highly technical button mashing at its absolute finest.

Super Smash Bros - Between all the previous games I've played a grand total of about 15 minutes, on the Wii. I've never really been into it. But I picked this up and I love it. Online is great as long as nobody has a shoddy connection (then it's bullet time smash), but the game is great and I have a blast playing with my daughter.

Mario Kart 8 - Absolutely a joy to play, between new tracks and remastered old tracks (original rainbow road - hell yeah!). Online play is fun. The only disappointment is the lack of dedicated battle mode arenas. Even the DLC is awesome (as mentioned above, original rainbow road!!!)

Mario Kart - Yep, cashed in my Club Nintendo coins for the Wii VC version and payed 1.50 to upgrade it to Wii U, so I wouldn't have to boot into Wii mode all the time and can play it on the gamepad or pro controller. Still love this classic and glad to have a legit version again.

Super Mario 3D World - Another game that I have a lot of fun playing with my daughter, and my mom when she can come over to play. A great homage to older 2D Mario Games with precise platforming and that damn timer is back to make sure you have to balance exploring with hauling ass to the flag pole at the end. I've not put much serious time into this game alone but I can't wait to have it on the top of my need to play now list.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - I can't say enough about this game. The controls are irksome at first, they start off feeling kind of unresponsive but they are the way they are and it's got a nice feel to it when you are used to it. Momentum plays a big part in jumping and DK feels like he has some heft to him. Poor Diddy Kong though is probably the least useful partner in the game. The graphics are phenomenal, the level design is great, the music is amazing. The game is tough. This is old-school kick your butt platforming at it's finest. Made by Retro Studios, who brought us Metroid Prime...speaking of which...

METROID PRIME TRILOGY - (Released later in January) Ok, let's cover the Wii "VC" (they do play right from the Wii U menu, no need to boot into Wii mode). They have released Mario Galaxy 2 as of the 14th and until the 21st it will only be 10$ (each Wii game announce will be half price for the first week after it's release). Wii Punch out is released later on this month (Jan 22) I think, and then...METROID PRIME TRILOGY. That's right, for 10$ you can own the Metroid Prime Trilogy on your Wii U. Let me put this in perspective. In December, I won an auction for a Collectors Edition copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy in the metal tin box and yadda yadda yadda. It came to 67$ USD, having it shipped to Canada, I had to pay shipping and import fees...plus exchange. Total in Canada dollars? 127$ I'm not mad...but still this is great news if you are a Metroid Prime fan. This is a sought after game.

I can't rave enough about the Wii U. It might be "underpowered" but for the first time in a long time, I truly love video games again.
Yes, yes, and yes to all you have said. Don't forget there's also tons of great indie games in the Nintendo eShop.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I bought my boy a Wii U for Xmas. I haven't touched New a Super Mario U, but he has. Just picked up Smash Bros yesterday. I am utterly confused by it, and my son took to it like a duck to water. And here I thought he was gonna be mad at me crushing him!
Stick to it it's a pain at first.

I reconfigured the controls to make more sense to an old mario fart like me anyway.

B is Jump
Y Attack
X Special Attack
RZ Block
LZ Grab

Yes, yes, and yes to all you have said. Don't forget there's also tons of great indie games in the Nintendo eShop.
I'm looking into some of the indie games as well.

One of the guys on the /r/wiiu sub reddit was one if the artists on teslagrad and I really want bit trip runner 2

My next purchase will be pikmin 3 though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Oh [MENTION=3033]StarDust4Ever[/MENTION] fun fact:

David Wise, the composer for Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3 and Tropical Freeze also did the music for the NES version of High Speed. Also did R.C. Pro Am and Battletoads.

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013

David Wise, the composer for Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3 and Tropical Freeze also did the music for the NES version of High Speed. Also did R.C. Pro Am and Battletoads.

Don't forget he did the music for the NES version of Pin*Bot as well. I actually own that cart and it's actually a pretty good game! Probably the best best pinball game on the NES anyways.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Don't forget he did the music for the NES version of Pin*Bot as well. I actually own that cart and it's actually a pretty good game! Probably the best best pinball game on the NES anyways.

Nice.

Check out our ID thread too, maybe we can get some smash or mariokart happening online.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013

Interesting to note. One major difference though is the Donkey Kong games were original compositions and the Pinball titles and several other games were arcade ports. So there's a bit of difference in porting audio as opposed to making it very cool nonetheless and he did a good job with both High Speed and Pinbot. Both of those titles are excellent NES games. I have a complete set of pinball themed games for NES/Famicom. Pinball Quest is the only one that's not worth playing IMO.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I thought folk would find this encouraging. I've had occasion to email Jay Obernolte in the past (mainly to say what I liked about what Farsight was doing and ask when Williams Pinball Classics was getting a UK release on the Wii) and it's been a few years so I said I'd still like to see Sorcerer and Ace High and great job with all the releases and keeping the company going in spite of issues facing the industry and gee , I'd still like to play TPA on my Wii U.

His response was a general thanks for the support and more specifically that "We're hard on Work on the Wii-U version, and I'm confident it will be available before the end of the year."

So delays aside it's still happening and hopefully will be out before any table licenses expire!

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
His response was a general thanks for the support and more specifically that "We're hard on Work on the Wii-U version, and I'm confident it will be available before the end of the year."
Didn't they also say this in 2012, when TPA was announced as a "launch window" game? Well there's always hope. :rolleyes:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
It seems obvious IF it's slated for release, there is an order to their priorities. It was ps4, then xbone, then dx11 for PC, then xbox 360, then I would assume either the new 3ds or wiiU. So from that perspective, I think they are getting there.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
It seems obvious IF it's slated for release, there is an order to their priorities. It was ps4, then xbone, then dx11 for PC, then xbox 360, then I would assume either the new 3ds or wiiU. So from that perspective, I think they are getting there.
Good point. With the extra power of the "New" 3DS, it should be capable enough to run TPA. The multiple processors will help, for instance running the logic emulation, physics, and 3D rendering in separate threads. But does the "New" 3DS yet have a sufficient install base?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Do we really think Nintendo is going to allow them to put out a program that will 'only' work on new 3DS systems? Talk about a marketing nightmare. No way are they going to have a disclaimer on the Nintendo e-store. Look, Zen was able to get theirs to work just fine on a 3DS, it's BS if FarSight can't. I think they said that before just so they wouldn't have to deal with it. And even now, you have Bobby saying one thing, that it could work, and the marketing guys saying no way no how. Wait for a unified front from FS before you even start considering the possibility of it coming to the 3DS.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Do we really think Nintendo is going to allow them to put out a program that will 'only' work on new 3DS systems? Talk about a marketing nightmare.
Xenodblade Chronicles is NEw 3DS only. There is a demo in the 3DS eShop. You cannot download it with an [Old] 3DS. Any "marketing nightmare" will only apply to retail titles and will likely be a result of Nintendo's brilliant naming scheme.

Other titles such as Smash Bros, Monster hunter 4, and Majora's Mask work on 3DS but have enhanced functionality on New 3DS. I do own a Majora's Mask LE "New" 3DS, but it's kind of an Easter present so I am waiting to play it.

Also the fact Zen Pinball works on 3DS is moot. The Pinball Arcade uses emulation to run the vintage tables, something that isn't needed for Zen. Depending on the platform architecture and the accuracy of the emulator, it can sometimes take hundreds of times the processing power to emulate a vintage CPU. Add to the fact many arcade machines and Pinball tables had multiple CPUs for different tasks, compared to game consoles utilizing cost-reduced designs, and the fact you still need to simulate the physics engine and graphics.

That said, TPA runs fine in 720p on Ouya, so it's not like the 3DS needs a state-of-the-art mobile processor to run TPA in stereoscopic 240p. But I have no idea how the New 3DS compares to a Tegra 3 besides the fact they both run on ARM architecture. The stereoscopic 3D part is easy considering TPA is already rendered in 3D, you just need an extra virtual camera node for the other eye. Another minor caveat is the 240p resolution is so low. Even at 720p, it's hard to make out much of the table graphics on certain tables. 240p, anti-aliased or not, would look pretty bad for real life tables. Still, I'd love to play TPA in stereoscopic 3D.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.