PAF Top Ten Most Wanted Table Poll Series : #4 - Premium Licensed (Closed)

What Are The Top Ten Premium Licensed Tables That You Would Like To See Kickstarted

• Apollo 13 (Sega, 1995)

Votes: 126 25.0%
  • Back to the Future (Data East, 1990)

Votes: 177 35.0%
  • Batman Forever (Sega, 1995)

Votes: 74 14.7%
  • Congo (Williams, 1995)

Votes: 96 19.0%
  • Demolition Man (Williams, 1994)

Votes: 143 28.3%
  • Dirty Harry (Williams, 1995)

Votes: 100 19.8%
  • Doctor Who (Bally, 1992)

Votes: 212 42.0%
  • Elvis (Stern, 2004)

Votes: 101 20.0%
  • Flintstones, The (Williams, 1994)

Votes: 97 19.2%
  • Freddy : A Nightmare on Elm Street (Gottlieb, 1994)

Votes: 120 23.8%
  • Goldeneye (Sega, 1996)

Votes: 76 15.0%
  • Guns ‘N Roses (Data East, 1994)

Votes: 167 33.1%
  • Hook (Data East, 1992)

Votes: 46 9.1%
  • Independence Day (Sega, 1996)

Votes: 31 6.1%
  • Indiana Jones : The Pinball Adventure (Williams, 1993)

Votes: 390 77.2%
  • Johnny Mnemonic (Williams, 1995)

Votes: 103 20.4%
  • Jurassic Park (Data East, 1993)

Votes: 206 40.8%
  • Last Action Hero (Data East, 1993)

Votes: 46 9.1%
  • Lord of the Rings, The (Stern, 2003)

Votes: 317 62.8%
  • Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (Sega, 1995)

Votes: 60 11.9%
  • NBA Fastbreak (Bally, 1997)

Votes: 89 17.6%
  • Phantom of the Opera (Data East, 1990)

Votes: 55 10.9%
  • Shadow, The (Bally, 1994)

Votes: 192 38.0%
  • Simpsons Pinball Party, The (Stern, 2003)

Votes: 343 67.9%
  • Star Wars (Data East, 1992)

Votes: 231 45.7%
  • Stargate (Gottlieb, 1995)

Votes: 89 17.6%
  • Starship Troopers (Sega, 1997)

Votes: 62 12.3%
  • Terminator 3 : Rise of the Machines (Stern, 2003)

Votes: 79 15.6%
  • Who’s Tommy Pinball Wizard, The (Data East, 1994)

Votes: 153 30.3%
  • WWF Royal Rumble (Data East, 1994)

Votes: 80 15.8%

• Total voters

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I would have voted for about 8-10 more if it had been a "pick all you'd like" poll. Really hard to narrow down to 10. I ended up leaving off Indiana Jones because I know it will get a billion votes even without me, and I really wanted to vote for some top tables that probably will struggle to make the top ten after everyone votes for the most obvious, like Stargate, Flintstones, Congo, and T3. I might really put money in on a KS for GnR. Never been more positively surprised by a pin in my life.

Last edited:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Wouldn't it be pretty difficult to get a WWF license after they were forced to change their name to WWE?

Since then there has been an agreement with the WWF to allow the use of WWF in WWE programming, but only footage used in the past.

Starting with the 1,000th episode of Raw in July 2012, the WWF "scratch" logo is no longer censored in archival footage due to WWE reaching a settlement with the World Wide Fund for Nature.[37] In addition, the WWF initials are no longer censored when spoken or when written in plain text in archival footage......In exchange, WWE is no longer permitted to use the WWF initials or logo in any new, original footage, with any old-school logos for retro-themed programming now using the original WWF logo, but modified without the F

The problem is, does the old logo used in a recreation count as 'archival' footage, or does it count as new footage created with the WWF logo? If the former then we'd probably see a table with everything intact, failing that, there's an alternative logo that would look just as good that they use for classic matches that they broadcast.
Classic_WWE_Logo.png

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
Without a doubt, I'd rather have "A Nightmare on Elm Street" over any of them, not only because I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but also because the table is hard to find. (At least out my way it is)

My Top 10:

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street
2. Dr. Who (One of my Top 5 Favorite tables)
3. Indiana Jones
4. Back to the Future
5. Dirty Harry (An endlessly fun table, grew up on this one)
6. The Simpsons
7. Last Action Hero
8. WWF Royal Rumble (The only wrestling themed table... a must have)
9. Star Wars
10. Guns N' Roses

Gordon

May 28, 2012
Elvis has thus cool gameplay and fantastic music.

1. Indiana Jones
2. Lord of the Rings
3. Elvis
4.Star Wars
5. Back to the Future

[video]http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/elvis/[/video]

Last edited:

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
It's sad that the NASCAR-table didn't make it on the list. I mean, look at the action on this table: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyP8BFuhPTY

@ Pin Wiz: Will it be on the upcoming Stern poll?

By the way, there are plenty other good tables here on this poll.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, by any means, but I have to admit, that table looks fun.

I would, however, be pretty ticked if we got this and not some of the other great sports tables out there, like WWF Royal Rumble. lol

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I'm surprised to see the Data East Star Wars table left off of so many lists. This is one of my all-time favorite tables, and the theme is put to such great use. The shot to blow up the Death Star in multiball is an amazing pinball moment - it's fun every time. And although the ramp is such a prominent part of the table it's put to great use with the fact that they keep count of the number of ramps you make and give out rewards at various increments. I love tables that do this (like how RBION keeps track of idol hits and penguin loops). Plus the ramp sound effect is great! Besides all that, it's a HUGE nostalgia table for me as they had one in the movie theater that I worked at growing up and I would sink tons of quarters in it when I got off from work. We always had just one table which would get rotated out for a different one from time to time. If I remember correctly the order was Pin-bot, Cyclone, Terminator 2, Star Wars and then Indy. The thought that there is a possibility that all of them might make it into TPA some day makes me giddy.

So if you're looking for a machine to fill out your top 10, please consider Star Wars!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Since then there has been an agreement with the WWF to allow the use of WWF in WWE programming, but only footage used in the past.

The problem is, does the old logo used in a recreation count as 'archival' footage, or does it count as new footage created with the WWF logo? If the former then we'd probably see a table with everything intact, failing that, there's an alternative logo that would look just as good that they use for classic matches that they broadcast.
Classic_WWE_Logo.png

Remember the marketing campaign when that initially happened? "Get the 'F' out!" That is one company that knows how to turn the tables. I always thought it was kind of ridiculous that the courts thought anyone would confuse the World Wildlife Foundation with a wrestling company. Great tablle, though!

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I'm surprised to see the Data East Star Wars table left off of so many lists.

I didn't vote for it because there were 10 others that I felt are more deserving. It was just outside of my top 10. I would have only voted for it for the theme. I've played it and I didn't think it was that great.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Would have liked to see Tales from the Crypt, that with Freddy: a Nightmare on Elm Street would have made a great table pack. I'm sure it will be in the Data East poll though.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I didn't vote for it because there were 10 others that I felt are more deserving. It was just outside of my top 10. I would have only voted for it for the theme. I've played it and I didn't think it was that great.

Just curious, what didn't you like about it? I think that it uses the theme really well, with good use of the actor's voices, has some fun modes, an interesting timing based skill shot (that uses that handle with the button which is also used in a few other modes) and great flow overall.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
After going through what all of you have voted I am a bit surprised that more than a few of you have not voted for The Shadow, but a few Data East tables with low ratings on both pinside and IPDB get a lot of votes. Nothing wrong with that of course, but curios about how important the theme vs the quality vs the I have played this so I vote for it thing is for people. I have not played many of the DE/Sega/Gottlieb tables on here but out of the few I've played they seemed pretty boring for the most part. Guns And Roses being the exception.

I did vote for Tommy (played it) and Jurassic park (not played it but looks good at least). I have not played things like Star Wars, Frankenstein or Back To The Future (but all look pretty ordinary and not that exiting to me) so I am just wondering if these are any good at all and if those who are voting have played them.

And just to be clear. There's nothing wrong about voting because it is a cool license. I am just curious here :)

Anyway. Almost all 30 of these pins would be a welcome addition to TPA (Just hoping a few of them do not need a kickstarter.)

I'll tell you my reasons. First, I loathe the flippers on Data East machines. Even on a fully shopped, immaculate condition table, the flippers suck. Someone explained to me that there is no end of stroke switch on them as compared to other manufacturers (a cost saving step) and thus they lose power, even within one quarter, depending on how long you are holding them.

Next, Data East machines feel cheep in build quality. Williams tables, they seem bulletproof. DE feels like the Chinese knockoff. When Stern became the only game in town, they had a similar feel.

Now those reasons actually go away once you translate to the digital world, but the next doesn't...they're boring. They look all flash and seem like they might have some cool toys, and then you play and realize how repetitive they are. And not even in a BoP sort of way. There's only been a few that have grabbed my attention, G 'n R being one. I reject Jurassic Park strictly on the basis of it being a mirror layout to Whirlwind and still not as fun. So many DE machines are just carbon copies of Williams/Bally but without the rule set.

So there, that's my rant.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, no point having TAF just for the reason mostly everyone would vote for it making it pick your top nine + TAF.

Which I wouldn't voted anyway. Never saw the big deal with that table. :shrugs:

Edit: Wow, no Twister? :(

Although I think Twister is a good table you never see it mentioned in anyone's top anything of pinball machines. Then there's the license. The Kickstarter would have no traction with that license. Its an ok movie but it doesn't have a big following.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Just curious, what didn't you like about it? I think that it uses the theme really well, with good use of the actor's voices, has some fun modes, an interesting timing based skill shot (that uses that handle with the button which is also used in a few other modes) and great flow overall.

To add my take on it, I will give you the fact that the voices are well implemented and it has one of the best collections of DMD animations ever. Data East was strong with most of their tables in that regard. I think the table is very uninspired and the layout is too simple. Targets are too easy to hit in general. This is also common amongst DE/Sega/Stern pinballs. Harley Davidson is a perfect example of a table that does this. Good animations and sounds but far too simple and easy. No real challenge. I also second the fact that it feels on the cheap side and kind of flimsy. If you just got finished nudging a Williams table, any nudge attempt on the Data East will probably get you a tilt until you adjust back down.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
To add my take on it, I will give you the fact that the voices are well implemented and it has one of the best collections of DMD animations ever. Data East was strong with most of their tables in that regard. I think the table is very uninspired and the layout is too simple. Targets are too easy to hit in general. This is also common amongst DE/Sega/Stern pinballs. Harley Davidson is a perfect example of a table that does this. Good animations and sounds but far too simple and easy. No real challenge. I also second the fact that it feels on the cheap side and kind of flimsy. If you just got finished nudging a Williams table, any nudge attempt on the Data East will probably get you a tilt until you adjust back down.

I'm not sure why anyone cares about DMD animations. Its pinball. My eyes are on the table.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I'm not sure why anyone cares about DMD animations. Its pinball. My eyes are on the table.

Very true. I miss most of what happens on typical animations. It's actually easier when the ball is paused in a scoop and the DMD updates on progress towards a goal or something than to follow something happening on an in-game event. However I think most of the DE/Sega/Stern are above-average at best with most falling into mediocre territory so I was just throwing a couple compliments where they are due.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012

Though I did vote for Star Wars my biggest problem with it, as well as many DE's, is the upbeat take on the original music. Several of their pins had this problem. It's almost like the designers thought they needed to speed the music up to get you excited.

karl

May 10, 2012
I'll tell you my reasons. First, I loathe the flippers on Data East machines. Even on a fully shopped, immaculate condition table, the flippers suck. Someone explained to me that there is no end of stroke switch on them as compared to other manufacturers (a cost saving step) and thus they lose power, even within one quarter, depending on how long you are holding them.

Next, Data East machines feel cheep in build quality. Williams tables, they seem bulletproof. DE feels like the Chinese knockoff. When Stern became the only game in town, they had a similar feel.

Now those reasons actually go away once you translate to the digital world, but the next doesn't...they're boring. They look all flash and seem like they might have some cool toys, and then you play and realize how repetitive they are. And not even in a BoP sort of way. There's only been a few that have grabbed my attention, G 'n R being one. I reject Jurassic Park strictly on the basis of it being a mirror layout to Whirlwind and still not as fun. So many DE machines are just carbon copies of Williams/Bally but without the rule set.

So there, that's my rant.

As usual I explain myself poorly. I agree with everything you said 100%.

What I was wondering was that since I feel almost everyone of them is inferior by a mile to the Bally/Williams tables I was wondering why so many tend to vote for Data East/Sega games instead of truly great pins like the Shadow :D I am of course biased on the subject, but still :confused:

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for all the good Star Wars/Data East discussion guys! I'm definitely going to take my time with this one. I actually have about seven that are locked in based on what I already know about them or the time I've been able to spend playing them but I'm going to do my homework to make sure I make good decisions on the last few.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts