Parting Thoughts for Farsight and Fellow Posters

karl

May 10, 2012
I tend to disagree a lot with Mark and I also disagree with most of what he says here. Sad to see you leave this place Mark because if everyone had the same opinion as me it would be a boring place. I see that you are only playing on a phone pr now and I guess my opinion of the game could have been a bit different if I did the same. (tablets and phone are 2 very different things to me) If you get upset a lot by forum posts it is probably time to take a break (it is supposed to be fun, interesting and stimulating) but if you change your mind I'd be happy to see you back here. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and a great new year and keep playing pinball in whatever form you find stimulating.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
I would also love to see a month (or two) dedicated to patching existing tables. I don't play enough, or well enough, to run into all of these bugs, but they really should be fixed before releasing new tables that have their own bugs. I understand the need to make some money, to keep development moving forward. But this is hurting your customer base, and some of us will stick it out. Others are leaving because they feel taken advantage of.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I would also love to see a month (or two) dedicated to patching existing tables. I don't play enough, or well enough, to run into all of these bugs, but they really should be fixed before releasing new tables that have their own bugs. I understand the need to make some money, to keep development moving forward. But this is hurting your customer base, and some of us will stick it out. Others are leaving because they feel taken advantage of.

Now they should take 2 months off to worry about patches? How'd you like to go 2 months without bringing home a paycheck? Think you'd be able to keep up on the mortgage, or paying your bills? FarSight sees a monthly spike in sales every time a table pack is released. They base their monthly budget off projected sales. I doubt they have some war chest stashed away for a voluntary rainy day. As it is right now, they're barely making deadlines and then if something happens on Apple or Sony's or Microsoft's end, which more often than we'd like to think does and has nothing to do with the game, but business politics, delays happen. And we've all seen the firestorm that rises up when a table gets delayed.

Excuse my tone, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm jumping down your throat :eek: In a fantasy world, I'd welcome them dedicating the time to doing this very thing. So would FarSight actually. The reality is that's not gonna happen, and the sooner everyone gets on the same page, the sooner we can get our expectations down to a reasonable level. Patches and fixes are constantly being worked on. They just don't get released until there are enough to warrant a completely new download of the table, as is required for ANY bug fix.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
Now they should take 2 months off to worry about patches? How'd you like to go 2 months without bringing home a paycheck? Think you'd be able to keep up on the mortgage, or paying your bills? FarSight sees a monthly spike in sales every time a table pack is released. They base their monthly budget off projected sales. I doubt they have some war chest stashed away for a voluntary rainy day. As it is right now, they're barely making deadlines and then if something happens on Apple or Sony's or Microsoft's end, which more often than we'd like to think does and has nothing to do with the game, but business politics, delays happen. And we've all seen the firestorm that rises up when a table gets delayed.

Excuse my tone, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm jumping down your throat :eek: In a fantasy world, I'd welcome them dedicating the time to doing this very thing. So would FarSight actually. The reality is that's not gonna happen, and the sooner everyone gets on the same page, the sooner we can get our expectations down to a reasonable level. Patches and fixes are constantly being worked on. They just don't get released until there are enough to warrant a completely new download of the table, as is required for ANY bug fix.
This is the unfortunate side of programming, for small groups like Farsight. The problem is, they owe it to their paying customer base to fix the software that's already released. If they can afford to hire more programmers and QA testers, great. Do it. People are complaining about bugs on the two Kickstarter tables, which contributors helped to fund in the first place. I can understand being peeved about finding bugs on those two tables. We're paying for these tables, and generally, I like them. You can't expect everyone to continue to come back & buy new tables as released, when the ones they bought previously still show bugs of varying degree.

night

May 18, 2012
They can take a month off to fix bugs but what happens after that? Problem is, they wanted it all and now it's too much to handle. I think FarSight created a monster, they can't afford to take a month off to fix stuff and that puts this company in a difficult position. Dump the consoles and go for the iOS/Android market. Mobile is the future. Do it good or don't do it at all.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They've been improving the older tables quite a bit in the last few mobile updates (MM, BH, TOTAN, etc.). Eventually they will get to them all. Just have to be patient.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
This is the unfortunate side of programming, for small groups like Farsight. The problem is, they owe it to their paying customer base to fix the software that's already released. If they can afford to hire more programmers and QA testers, great. Do it. People are complaining about bugs on the two Kickstarter tables, which contributors helped to fund in the first place. I can understand being peeved about finding bugs on those two tables. We're paying for these tables, and generally, I like them. You can't expect everyone to continue to come back & buy new tables as released, when the ones they bought previously still show bugs of varying degree.

But it's not like the tables aren't playable. They fully function. I've yet to have a gamebreaker bug. Have I had a score lost and been frustrated? Sure. And then I loaded it up again! And no, I don't expect disgruntled people to keep coming back. I do have to laugh at disgruntled people that continue to buy and then are even more upset! As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me." I personally don't feel cheated, which is why I keep coming back for more. Also, the mobile platforms, while they are the lead, are not the ideal versions of the tables. That'd be the PS3 and Xbox when it becomes available again. Sucks that the first impression has to be the version that sacrifices were made on, but then you get the table months before us console players.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
They can take a month off to fix bugs but what happens after that? Problem is, they wanted it all and now it's too much to handle. I think FarSight created a monster, they can't afford to take a month off to fix stuff and that puts this company in a difficult position. Dump the consoles and go for the iOS/Android market. Mobile is the future. Do it good or don't do it at all.

Uh, no? I like having a controller with buttons and being able to nudge properly. I like HDR lighting effects. I like playing on a very large screen.

night

May 18, 2012
Uh, no? I like having a controller with buttons and being able to nudge properly. I like HDR lighting effects. I like playing on a very large screen.

Have you bought Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot for your iPad yet? That's lighting effects my friend! I understand about the controller.

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012

Uh, no. I hate playing the game on my phone (I hate playing ANY game that relies solely on touch controls). For me, it's only good for checking out the new tables. The only reasons I like the Vita version are the buttons, no lag (unlike PS3), and a semi-decent table selection (unlike 360).

In terms of how the game plays, the 360 version would be my top choice with its controller and being lag free, but having no tables keeps me from playing it often. The PS3 version looks the best and has a bunch of table packs, but the lag makes it harder to play.

They just need to get the issues with the consoles sorted out, and I'm never going to play mobile again.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The framerate stuttering on MM, the complete lack of visibility over the right outlanes on BoP, and the frequent balls through the ramp as well as lost balls in CV on the PS Vita all greatly beg to differ.

Well then I'll say on the PS3, I've yet to have a gamebreaker bug.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
But it's not like the tables aren't playable. They fully function. I've yet to have a gamebreaker bug. Have I had a score lost and been frustrated? Sure. And then I loaded it up again! And no, I don't expect disgruntled people to keep coming back. I do have to laugh at disgruntled people that continue to buy and then are even more upset! As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me." I personally don't feel cheated, which is why I keep coming back for more. Also, the mobile platforms, while they are the lead, are not the ideal versions of the tables. That'd be the PS3 and Xbox when it becomes available again. Sucks that the first impression has to be the version that sacrifices were made on, but then you get the table months before us console players.

Hear, hear. Well said.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Awww shucks you guys (read some of the nice comments)

I only got to read like halfway down and skimmed. I'm afraid to see what's in store.

Anyways I love Star Trek all is forgiven about the difficulty. I actually like the challenge. Alot. Just don't miss shots. Maybe could use very slight tweaks, like insta-drain when hitting left post of the right ramp for instance, cause in real pinball that would be random. I've lost more balls to that very shot than I can count, it's the most reliable drain shot in all of pinball arcade. Otherwise it's my favorite table on Pinball arcade bar none.

Jeff is right. The idea that Bobby or whomever at Farsight tweaked the game based on our posts, is ludicrous. I think it just kinda happened this way by chance. I'm a little embarassed and would like to remove that whole rant about difficulty from the post altogether, tbh, but it's probably been quoted so who cares.

The interface has actually grown on me too. I went back to play the free version of PBA just to compare, yeah, it's a definite improvement and a step in the right direction.

You have to understand something I wrote that big rant and it took me like close to 2 hours putting that all together btw, and being able to get away from everyone and have some computer time to myself was great, rants are hard work and I'm anal about any writing even message board stuff, anyways at the time I was extremely angry and aggitated not with you guys or Farsight or Pinball arcade but with my family. They are great people I just hate being around them. And that anxiety and anger I think I needed an outlet and internet rants/venting is actually very theraputic for me. Anyways once I got back home back to work and back to my lady I feel like a million bucks and I love everyone and I especially love pinball arcade lol. And i feel a little embarassed over this post. I'll read up and see what people are saying, but yeah not one of my prouder moments.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It happens, I think we all inject life-angst into our internet dealings, rather unintentionally at times.

All is forgiven and forgotten welcome back

Members online

Members online