Request PLEASE! Remove the obnoxious "Buy" and "Owned" Splashes!

What do you think about the "Buy" and "Owned" splashes?

• I think they're a helpful reminder of which tables I bought!

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • I think the "Buy" splash is fine but see no need for "Owned"!

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • They're both unnecessary and should be removed completely!

Votes: 14 25.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
I genuinely think that the splashes are displeasing and want them removed

haha, I envision you actually pounding the desk with your fist at that point...

My opinion about it has been strong enough that I figured no one would disagree.

I know exactly what you mean... I feel the same way about Kim Kardasian's rear end. To me she's prefect, the epitome of womanhood, my buddy at work thinks she's fat. FAT !!!!! Psssk, those pesky people and their personal preferences...

Is Kim Kardasian:

Fat ?

Hot ?

I'd bulk her up a bit more ?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Honestly, when I made the turd comment, I already had some direct suspicion over who did it, as I expected them to select that option out of spite. That should not have been taken as a blanket statement. If some people really feel like those splashes are a positive, fine, but I would have to guess that most of those selecting that option either don't care or think that I'm being too anal.

I genuinely think that the splashes are displeasing and want them removed. My opinion about it has been strong enough that I figured no one would disagree. I still won't apologize for having that strong opinion, but I also didn't mean to offend anyone else by my previous comment. Likewise, I don't think an honest effort at improving the game should be seen as a "crybaby poll".

The way you communicate or defend your opinion is considered almost as important as the opinion itself on these forums, which makes these forums such a nice place to discuss our hobby (nay passion for some). Or as Ive heard someone say: "the wrapping is as important as the present". There are some, including me, that will speak up if they find that wrapping unfitting to the general style of this forum.

Everyone is entitled to their own, very strong, opinions. But the same goes for the opposite side, however unlogical that viewpoint may be.

Back to topic: I agree there are better ways to communicate to the player they own/dont own something, especially if one of your angles is "preservation of americana" even if I personally dont need to look at the 3d models. I think they should eventually get rid of those models altogether in the main menu (and put them in the menu once you picked it"), put in a grid view with the different backglasses as icons and brighten/dim the ones you own/ dont own. But perhaps they want to stay away from that pinballfx2 style of menu:)

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I agree there are better ways to communicate to the player they own/dont own something, especially if one of your angles is "preservation of americana" even if I personally dont need to look at the 3d models. I think they should eventually get rid of those models altogether in the main menu (and put them in the menu once you picked it"), put in a grid view with the different backglasses as icons and brighten/dim the ones you own/ dont own. But perhaps they want to stay away from that pinballfx2 style of menu:)

A grid or list would certainly be nice as a view setting, but like you said, I can also understand if they're trying to avoid the PinballFX2 style, since I generally dislike that game along with most digitally-realized pinball video games. Actually, that's what got me interested in TPA in the first place; accurate recreations in a virtual museum, not just a pinball video game with fantasy tables that don't feel remotely close to the real thing.

I personally don't mind the menus as they are, but UI changes to meet popular demand wouldn't bother me either. I just think that removing the "Owned" splash is a quick and easy necessity, regardless of larger UI overhauls in the future.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
haha, I envision you actually pounding the desk with your fist at that point...

The first time I booted after the update, I probably did. If someone had recorded my following rant, they probably could have made a Downfall / Hitler Reacts meme video using it...

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Why not make more pinball oriented with light up arrows on a table one blinking red arrow says BUY NOW or a solid lit green arrow saying OWNED. I think the placement is bad and the stamp font.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
When you break it down to brass tacks, if FarSight doesn't address a request this simple, how could we possibly hope to be heard on bigger issues? UI changes? Table requests? Even bug fixes?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Contructive criticism will be heard before sombody just saying GET RID OF THIS. I see your points and agree with some but I think it could be made better instead of ditching it completely, lets try to refine the product while at the same time not turn it into an experiment.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
When you break it down to brass tacks, if FarSight doesn't address a request this simple, how could we possibly hope to be heard on bigger issues? UI changes? Table requests? Even bug fixes?

Because design by comittee is a very bad strategy. Just because 24 people, or even 240 people on 1 forum say they want this gone, doesnt mean that a) the majority of customers want it and b) even if the majority does, its the best course of action.

The customer isnt always right.

Also, as you are relatively new on this forum and what has been discussed on here, farsight has a history for listening, responding and acting on the stuff that matters (examples are plunger cams, art changes, launch buttons, magnasaves on bk, multiball cam locks, dlc achievement choices), we dont need to use every request as a testcase for "are we being heard"

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Because design by comittee is a very bad strategy. Just because 24 people, or even 240 people on 1 forum say they want this gone, doesnt mean that a) the majority of customers want it and b) even if the majority does, its the best course of action.

The customer isnt always right.

Also, as you are relatively new on this forum and what has been discussed on here, farsight has a history for listening, responding and acting on the stuff that matters (examples are plunger cams, art changes, launch buttons, magnasaves on bk, multiball cam locks, dlc achievement choices), we dont need to use every request as a testcase for "are we being heard"

I'm relatively new to this forum, not to TPA. And certainly not new to pinball or video games. I understand what you're saying, but again, regardless of the response on this forum, I have a very hard time believing players would want the "Owned" splash in the first place. The same goes for me, but let's not generalize too much here. My original request was, and still is, fairly reasonable. Keep the "Buy Now" splash for marketing reasons; ditch the "Owned" one. It's a compromise for the sake of both marketability and aesthetic integrity.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Why not make more pinball oriented with light up arrows on a table one blinking red arrow says BUY NOW or a solid lit green arrow saying OWNED. I think the placement is bad and the stamp font.

While I would prefer total removal of at least the "Owned" splash, Skill Shot's idea of changing the placement (so it doesn't obscure the backglass) and making the look more consistent with the pinball theme would still be an enormous improvement.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I'm relatively new to this forum, not to TPA. And certainly not new to pinball or video games. I understand what you're saying, but again, regardless of the response on this forum, I have a very hard time believing players would want the "Owned" splash in the first place. The same goes for me, but let's not generalize too much here. My original request was, and still is, fairly reasonable. Keep the "Buy Now" splash for marketing reasons; ditch the "Owned" one. It's a compromise for the sake of both marketability and aesthetic integrity.
Your request is clear, my response was aimed at "if they dont do this, what guarantee do we have they listen to other stuff". Dont make this request about that, that simply isnt fair, nor needed.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I understand what you're saying, but again, regardless of the response on this forum, I have a very hard time believing players would want the "Owned" splash in the first place.
We're all acutely aware of that now. Thank you.

I concur that it's ugly and that in a perfect world, I'd want it gone. But there are so many other things I'd rather see in TPA first.

EDIT:
Mike Reitmeyer and Ryan Routon, two of the developers at FarSight, have almost 500 posts between them on this forum. The lead artist, Jason Juneau, just climbed on board. We are most definitely being heard.

Last edited:

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Your request is clear, my response was aimed at "if they dont do this, what guarantee do we have they listen to other stuff". Dont make this request about that.

Come on, bavelb. You play devil's advocate very well, but is it necessary to pick my words apart just to have something to argue about? That comment was in support of your idea for changing UI elements. I am not suggesting that FarSight is negligent of its fans. It clearly has players' best interest at heart in most cases. But we're talking about forum requests for subjective UI content, which clearly would not place highly on their long priority list. But if they addressed these concerns, mine's a pretty quick fix. If that didn't happen, bigger UI changes would probably need to be suggested at a higher level than these forums.

Honestly, if the "Owned" splash were gone tomorrow, would you miss it? Probably not. But those who are bothered by it would be quite happy with the change.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Mike Reitmeyer and Ryan Routon, two of the developers at FarSight, have almost 500 posts between them on this forum. The lead artist, Jason Juneau, just climbed on board. We are most definitely being heard.

I appreciate developers' direct interaction with fans, as it does not occur often enough. If you've seen any of my posts on TPA's Facebook page, or the few in my apparently short tenure here on the forums, I have great respect for FarSight specifically. I've championed the game's strengths and encouraged others to play it. But this is an impassioned issue for me, and I am frustrated by any decisions that led to it.

You can argue with your friends, your family, even your wife or child; it doesn't mean you love them any less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.