Portrait mode on PC? (Update: Now Available)

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Well. I am sure I could map the flipper buttons to get them to work. Don't think the plunger will work yet. Haven't tried it though.

Zen works fine with the flipper buttons and plunger button to launch. The plunger doesn't work yet for even Zen.

Launch button works too. Just don't have the plunger itself working yet. But haven't tried yet really other than to pull it back to see if it functioned.

Last edited:

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Well. I am sure I could map the flipper buttons to get them to work. Don't think the plunger will work yet. Haven't tried it though.

Zen works fine with the flipper buttons and plunger button to launch. The plunger doesn't work yet for even Zen.

do the plunger and flippers show up as a generic usb input joystick or is it a keyboard hack going on inside there?

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Damn. Not sure. I didn't build it. Bought it set up and ready to go. Works great with VP. DMD, backglass, flippers, plunger and plunger launch button for games that have that. Even built in real nudge support. They all work with VP. I believe the plunger is USB.

The flippers and launch buttons I got working with Zen with a keyboard hack. Think it was Xpadder. Something like that.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Damn. Not sure. I didn't build it. Bought it set up and ready to go. Works great with VP. DMD, backglass, flippers, plunger and plunger launch button for games that have that. Even built in real nudge support. They all work with VP. I believe the plunger is USB.

The flippers and launch buttons I got working with Zen with a keyboard hack. Think it was Xpadder. Something like that.

Thanks from some tests ive run it might be possible to convert the plunger and flippers to xbox controller input using the x360e program. from what i've seen on the vpforums it looks like that plunger kit loads as a generic usb joystick in windows. So it might work with TPA with 5 minutes of setup. Also if Zen works with the xbox wireless controller and uses the right joystick for plunging this method would work for that too.

Edit:
I just tested and the x360e app does work with zen, you should try it might get that plunger working in there.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I think they should try to implement it one table or pack at a time instead of trying to do them all at once. Start at the newest and work their way back, or the original order they were released.

I think it would be done in the main program and not something that needs to be programmed separately for each table.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
portrait mode.
Not at launch, but the feature is expected to be added later.

Seriously? Are you sure about that? It is a complete deal breaker for me. Mobile devices can rotate from landscape to portrait no problem and the PC version won't support this? I don't even see a reason to get the game on PC without portrait mode. I'm not even going to bother checking back here anymore to see when the game is coming out for PC, this had killed all my interest. I stopped buying iOS tables months ago as I planned to play all my games on the PC. Now, I may never bother getting another table again. :/

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Seriously? Are you sure about that? It is a complete deal breaker for me. Mobile devices can rotate from landscape to portrait no problem and the PC version won't support this? I don't even see a reason to get the game on PC without portrait mode. I'm not even going to bother checking back here anymore to see when the game is coming out for PC, this had killed all my interest. I stopped buying iOS tables months ago as I planned to play all my games on the PC. Now, I may never bother getting another table again. :/

I will also hold off on buying all the packs until portrait mode is in just in case it doesn't happen. It is a great step forward to get it out on PC but it needs to offer a little bit more than a console. ie: portrait mode and/or better lighting. I would even be prepared to buy a portrait/cab add-on even if it doubles the price.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I too will boycott the PC release until portrait mode is available. I hope there are many more. I don't need another version. I need portrait mode. Does me no good without it. I thought these guys liked pinball too? Makes no sense.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I can't. Cabinet without portrait mode does me NO good.

Update:
Mike has replied and I feel better now that I know they still have plans to support it. Was beginning to wonder about it. I just see the glass as half empty all the time. I am just loving the PC beta and can't wait to turn this screen around.
All I can say is everybody better start building a cab or order one soon. They are going to be in high demand once they get the portrait mode worked out.

Last edited:

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012

Bye! Don't let the doorknob... etc.

Come ON folks, The word doesn't revolve around you.
The majority of folks won't use rotated screens or build cabinets. That is pretty self-evident.

Let them get the damn thing released first so there's something to actually PLAY...

It's like building a car and focusing on the stitching on the seats before deciding if you are building a sports car or a station wagon.

You do the big picture stuff FIRST, then get to the details.

This is coming from a software developer who is anxiously waiting for the PC version... and would quite possibly do my own cabinet build.

Storming off in a huff does nothing for anyone, other than potentially providing sweet, sweet silence in the forums.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Wonder how long it will take them to release a table in portrait mode. After the PS4 release? With each table pack released it seems the hole gets bigger and bigger. Now there is another table pack to convert.
I want to buy the PC version. But without portrait mode, it is useless to me. I don't know if I trust them enough to purchase the PC version with their good intentions of releasing a portrait mode "in the future".
The PC version is looking great. I think it will be the best version out there eventually. I just find their lack of enthusiasm for portrait mode and cabinet mode a little worrisome.
I bought my cabinet specifically to play TPA on. Why? They said they planned on supporting it. I didn't think it was a five year plan, but no big deal. There is always VP to play, and I do enjoy that. It is just sad to see the non support that they have shown towards a cabinet version.
Does the world revolve around me and or cabinet users? No. Am I going to leave in a huff? No. I just wont purchase the PC version until they start meeting some of my needs. My number one need for it is portrait mode. I can wait on DMD support, I can wait on backglass support. I can not wait for portrait. It is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. As good as the PC version is and could be, I won't buy it until it at least supports portrait. Will my not buying it make a difference? Probably not. Hopefully some others will do the same and let them know why they aren't purchasing it yet.

Am I in the minority. Hell yes. But this will be the best way to play TPA. Hopefully some day I will get to play it like that. Until then, I will stick with the IPad.

I know that they plan on working on it. I plan on buying it too. Hopefully that will be happening in the near future and not the distant future.

Last edited:

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
it is very weird, if you dont want to play game only becuase it has no portrait mode. and as long as you still can play VP on your cab it looks even more weird what presence of portrait mode in pc version will make buying choice for you.
after all TPA has much of things with undoubtedly higher resolving/realisation priority: bugs/mistakes, new lighting system, new tables, evolution of ball physics.

Last edited:

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
My cabinet is the only place I have a PC that I would be able to run TPA. Playing it sideways on my cabinet only makes my hands hurt because I have to use both flipper buttons on one side of the cabinet in order to see the playfield. Keeping your hands only inches apart from each other and playing like this gets very uncomfortable and only doable for beta testing.
Like I said. I bought the cabinet specifically for TPA because they said they were going to support it. VP for the cabinet is really just extra. It is not the reason I purchased the cabinet. Probably jumped the gun a bit on the purchase, but didn't think PC and cabinet was going to get dragged out so long.
Not a big deal. I will just wait for portrait mode. I just wonder how long it will take.

Last edited:

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
My cabinet is the only place I have a PC that I would be able to run TPA. Playing it sideways on my cabinet only makes my hands hurt because I have to use both flipper buttons on one side of the cabinet in order to see the playfield. Keeping your hands only inches apart from each other and playing like this gets very uncomfortable and only doable for beta testing.
Like I said. I bought the cabinet specifically for TPA because they said they were going to support it. VP for the cabinet is really just extra. It is not the reason I purchased the cabinet. Probably jumped the gun a bit on the purchase, but didn't think PC and cabinet was going to get dragged out so long.
Not a big deal. I will just wait for portrait mode. I just wonder how long it will take.

How does it look vs the same tables from VP (I know it might be hard to compare due to the different screen orientations)? I'm interested to see how TPA will match up as I'm in the (very) early stages of building a cabinet myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.