Portrait mode on PC? (Update: Now Available)

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
It looks awesome from you video. I just hope that Farsight tweaks the Portrait mode options. I think that PinballFX2 does a petty nice job with this and they should look to copy their approach or improve on it.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for that Video SilverBalls. My issue at the moment is trying how to force monitor rotation. I have Windows 7 but I see no display option to rotate the monitor. I REALLY hope farsight updates this like Zen and puts the Table Rotation into the Game Menu Options.

It's in the resolution options of Windows 7, you can set it to vertically there.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
There's an option in your resolution settings (right-click desktop > Screen Resolution)

GthKEr5.jpg

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
had a go with my widescreen laptop in portrait. Was great fun apart from having to still use the keys :) :) Need to get a controller for it and then try it on the lounge TV once I figure out how to securely portrait it.

seems to give me more time on the ball.

one thing I notice with the PC version - the ramps seem to have a vacuum cleaner built into them. (sucked up any time you get close to them, which is too easy).

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
Thanks Superballs. I was testing it out on my IMAC in Bootcamp mode. Win 7 will not do Portrait with Parallels software. I had to go directly to Win 7 at bootup and it worked fine.

Thanks,
Jim

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
had a go with my widescreen laptop in portrait. Was great fun apart from having to still use the keys :) :) Need to get a controller for it and then try it on the lounge TV once I figure out how to securely portrait it.

seems to give me more time on the ball.

one thing I notice with the PC version - the ramps seem to have a vacuum cleaner built into them. (sucked up any time you get close to them, which is too easy).

Try grabbing a cheap rollup keyboard. I got one here one time for like 6$. A controller will be a better bet but I use the rubber keyboard for VP all the time. It's kinda weird at first but I got used to it.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Try grabbing a cheap rollup keyboard. I got one here one time for like 6$. A controller will be a better bet but I use the rubber keyboard for VP all the time. It's kinda weird at first but I got used to it.

cheers SB - good point. I do have a wireless keyboard. Still want the controller though as much easier to nudge. Ordering an xbox wireless dongle for my laptop - might ask Santa for it :)

does the PC version have analog nudging like on the Xbox version?

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
Ooooh I'll have to give that a run then.

I actually find that on my HTPC using Steam Big Picture Mode and 360 gamepads, the overall experience feels just like I'm back on my Xbox 360. :) Except the tables are up to date and I couldn't have gotten Castle Crashers on Xbox 360 for $3.74. :p

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
enjoying playing TPA in portrait mode on laptop with wireless xbox controller. As above very much like playing on my xbox, except I get the nice portrait mode (like on tablet). I thought it would improve my play but I've not found any difference with scores :(

Gotta say though, swapping the screen resolution to portrait every time in the OS is a major pain in the ass. On my system, unless I always load the config utility first, I either get TPA loaded in wrong resolution or the steam process starts but TPA never appears (have to kill it in task manager). Seems very flakey.

When can we expect to get a proper TPA GUI option for toggling the screen orientation like the Zen offering? Do we really have to wait for cabinet support before we get this?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.