Portrait mode on PC? (Update: Now Available)

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Installed it on my cab tonight

1280x1920 works great

Ge4wz4e.jpg

Why is the camera not centered vertically you can see much more of the environment on the left side of the screen than on the right??

open6l

Aug 5, 2013
for whatever reason it seems they've focused on centering the flippers and not the playfield. I'm sure they will fix it in upcoming builds (fingers crossed).

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It would be awesome if they would put something in monitors to detect when they've been rotated and report the rotated resolution to windows.

Is this a thing?

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
It would be awesome if they would put something in monitors to detect when they've been rotated and report the rotated resolution to windows.

Is this a thing?

I remember seeing something like that in action years ago. If memory serves, it was on monitors specifically designed to be rotated between landscape and portrait. I've not exactly seen boatloads of monitors like that lately, but I'm sure they might still exist.

There isn't anything built into most monitors that would sense any sort of screen rotation, so the vast majority of folks will still have to tell their system when their monitors are in a new position or rotation.

Edited to add: did some searching with Google and found that there are some monitors available that automatically notify windows when rotated. Search for "Samsung MagicRotation" for one example. Other manufacturers will have their own term.

Last edited:

Filip

Nov 17, 2013
Portrait mode is working but the camera modes are unappropriate and the fact that they are too much depending on the table is not helping at all when in portrait.
A few remarks related to that:
- I hope there will be swiftly a possibility to customize it (angle and distance of the cam) because it's not really comfortable.
- Moreover Funhouse is not compatible at all with portrait mode: it's ultra zoomed and you cannot see the flippers. Did anybody noticed that?
- There is a necessity to upgrade the graphics to more hi-res because it is even more annoying than on the normal view and not acceptable for PCs. Is it something that will be improved?
Thanks for all the work done so far !

Last edited:

open6l

Aug 5, 2013
The Funhouse flipper issue is very well known. I've posted a video of it on YouTube as well. I've also noticed that it gets worse based on resolution. for example in 1080x1920,res the flippers aren't that visible but when I change to 1200x1920 it is even worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Zappa

Nov 15, 2013
Portrait mode is working but the camera modes are unappropriate and the fact that they are too much depending on the table is not helping at all when in portrait.
A few remarks related to that:
- I hope there will be swiftly a possibility to customize it (angle and distance of the cam) because it's not really comfortable.
- Moreover Funhouse is not compatible at all with portrait mode: it's ultra zoomed and you cannot see the flippers. Did anybody noticed that?
- There is a necessity to upgrade the graphics to more hi-res because it is even more annoying than on the normal view and not acceptable for PCs. Is it something that will be improved?
Thanks for all the work done so far !

Yes! Funhouse is unplayable in portrait, I can't play without seeing flippers...

grrrr

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
So why is the camera not center (vertically) when in portrait mode?? You can see this in the top corners of the screen (when in portrait mode) there is visually more space on the right side (you can see more of the virtual room, floor etc) than the left, why is this?. Surely the bottom of the screen the table is centre and then so should the top part of the table but it would appear the camera is set off to the right slightly?

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Tables are centered based on the flippers - not the playfield. It is an intentional design decision by Farsight. Many have complained about this but Farsight seems to think that if you don't have a cabinet, you want it this way. I doubt that is true.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
So why is the camera not center (vertically) when in portrait mode?? You can see this in the top corners of the screen (when in portrait mode) there is visually more space on the right side (you can see more of the virtual room, floor etc) than the left, why is this?. Surely the bottom of the screen the table is centre and then so should the top part of the table but it would appear the camera is set off to the right slightly?

It is like this for me too. 1920 x 1080 on a 42" 16:9. I am wondering if Stuart sees something different due to resolution, or aspect ratio?

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
Does anyone know if Portrait mode will work if using a LED TV that is rotated as a monitor? Does rotation only work with PC monitors? I am getting a new mini PC and wondering if I could use my 40" TV mounted to a wall with 360 rotation for a nice pseudo Cab Sim.

Thanks,
Jim

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Does anyone know if Portrait mode will work if using a LED TV that is rotated as a monitor? Does rotation only work with PC monitors? I am getting a new mini PC and wondering if I could use my 40" TV mounted to a wall with 360 rotation for a nice pseudo Cab Sim.

Thanks,
Jim

You can rotate an LED TV 90 degrees (techincally even 270 degrees also) and use it with portrait mode without any problems. As long the TV is allowed to ventilate properly, you should not have any problems.

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
Thanks Newt! Have you already tried this yourself? I was just concerned that the rotation detection only worked with PC monitors.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012

Thanks,
Jim
Video showing a Pinball Cabinet TV doing that:

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
Thanks for that Video SilverBalls. My issue at the moment is trying how to force monitor rotation. I have Windows 7 but I see no display option to rotate the monitor. I REALLY hope farsight updates this like Zen and puts the Table Rotation into the Game Menu Options.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts