PS3 input lag issue

cmotors

May 31, 2012
I have lag with Zen on the TV as well. Havent tried Pinball FX2 tbh, but there is some really ****ty interaction between my TV and the PS3. 360 on my TV plays like a dream luckily and I ahve now purchased TPA on it.

Then I'm guessing in your case, the lag with TPA in your situation could even be worse than what others are running into. If you are seeing it in other ps3 games, then ya, definitely something else is at play other than TPA in your case. Curious that it doesn't affect the xbox. It would be interesting to see another PS3 hooked up to that TV to see if it does the exact same thing.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Fired up Marvel Pinball demo I had installed. It felt much better than TPA does. There was a little delay, but I chalk that up to my TV as it feels exactly like playing the game on the 360. Reached the score limit before the time limit hit on both tables available on the first ball. If anything I was early on some of my shots due to being used to the lag from TPA. At least until I got used to it.

So again, I'll contend there's something not right with TPA on the PS3. If ZEN on PS3 and TPA on the 360 feels fine, it's not due to the TV.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
An important set of data to gather would be the experience of people NOT playing on an LCD (LED's are just LCD's lit with fancy bulbs) but on plasma, DLP or even a vintage CRT HDTV.
I have a Samsung 480hz 720p plasma connected via HDMI. I have tried the TV in regular and "game" modes and experienced identical lag in both.

Tabe

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I have an appx. 3-4 year old 50" Panasonic 768p Plasma connected through HDMI passing through a Marantz receiver and have not experienced any lag in the flippers.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
I have an appx. 3-4 year old 50" Panasonic 768p Plasma connected through HDMI passing through a Marantz receiver and have not experienced any lag in the flippers.

to be really sure, you'd have to test it with a different version, namely teh xbox360 one...

like when the latest battlefield3 patch came, and the patch notes said something about removing the input lag on consoles...

and i was like, what are they on about? the controls seem perfectly fine with me... i mean after some 300 hours of mp in the game right?...

and then when i downloaded the patch, i couldnt believe how much snappier the controls were... needed two days to reacquaint myslef to the aiming lol :eek:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
to be really sure, you'd have to test it with a different version, namely teh xbox360 one...

like when the latest battlefield3 patch came, and the patch notes said something about removing the input lag on consoles...

and i was like, what are they on about? the controls seem perfectly fine with me... i mean after some 300 hours of mp in the game right?...

and then when i downloaded the patch, i couldnt believe how much snappier the controls were... needed two days to reacquaint myslef to the aiming lol :eek:

I had an Xbox 360 once. It broke after the warranty expired. I tore it apart and fixed it. It worked for another year or so. It broke again. I fixed it and erased all my data to sell it. I sold it to a local kid who paid for it with his birthday money. It broke again within the first day in its new home. I gave the kid his money back. I sold it on ebay as non-working for 80 bucks. I'm not giving Microsoft my money again. :(

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Turning off Game Mode and setting my HDMI connection to PC removed lag on my Samsung UE40ES6100 LED tv.
Picture quality is less than before the change but at least with Game Mode off I can adjust the settings. I found some useful tips here: http://www.avsforum.com

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Turning off Game Mode and setting my HDMI connection to PC removed lag on my Samsung UE40ES6100 LED tv.
Picture quality is less than before the change but at least with Game Mode off I can adjust the settings. I found some useful tips here: http://www.avsforum.com

can you give a specific source/link where you found said tips. AVSforums in general is a pretty huge haystack to dig for a needle.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I already tried to set my HDMI to PC prior and it didn't work, so I'm not too hopeful about it. I( probably had Game Mode on though so perhaps that is the magic dial I need to flip.

I purchased it on the 360 now and will likely continue from there as the PS3 controller gives me handcramps when pinballing with it for prolongued times, but perhaps the is some useful stuff in there for other games. Only need to have the discipline to NOT buy the DLC on PS3 when it comes out before 360 :).

Maybe I should just spend my US PSN-budget on some downloadable games to prevent myself from doing that, I still wanted to buy Outland anyway :)

Last edited:

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
For those who do not have a 360 to test with, just download one of the ZEN pinball games from the store and compare. ZEN seems to work better than TPA for me. I'd be curious to see others results.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I have dusted of my xbox, cause i could not wait for psn europe anymore. Played the demo only so far. And i think its brilliand. zero lag, but.... i still play on a standard televiosion. (old school).

But cant compare with playstation yet. I doubting about buying it for xbox instead of my old plan for psn. But i still hope for a lag free psn europe version.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Well I give up. I moved my PS3 over to my monitor and there is still a lag problem. It isn't as bad as on my television and is somewhat playable, but it still feels off as compared to the Xbox 360 or Vita version. If the problems with the Vita version are not fixed soon I might just take the hit and get the 360 version.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I would go for it crush. I scored 800 points this afternoon after i checked my xbox still runs ok. And i cant stop playing. Well, not playing now.... but you know what i mean. I have not been hooked by a game since..... real pinball. And so far i only played TOTAN, so more fun for me waiting there, and there will be alot more in future.

I was so enjoying this game i almost went in chuck norris mode, almost guys, almost, ;-).

edit

ps. will still buy this for ios, but psn has lost this one vs xbox in my house.

Last edited:

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
Equipment:
PS3 bought in December 2011
24 inch Sony 3D Display or View Sonic HD Monitor 23 INCH
HDMI CABLE
Thrustmaster 3 in 1 Control Pad

I have no lag to speak of, and to be honest, I really want to know what everyone is talking about and can not imagine what it is like .... will someone please put a video of this lag up here on the site so we can all see it in action?

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Equipment:
PS3 bought in December 2011
24 inch Sony 3D Display or View Sonic HD Monitor 23 INCH
HDMI CABLE
Thrustmaster 3 in 1 Control Pad

I have no lag to speak of, and to be honest, I really want to know what everyone is talking about and can not imagine what it is like .... will someone please put a video of this lag up here on the site so we can all see it in action?

I might try to take a video in a little bit, but there are no promises. Basically when you push the button there is a delay before the flipper moves. I noticed it the most on ToM where I would trap the ball on the right flipper, press the button for what feels like will be a great shot only to have the ball roll right down flipper into the drain followed by the flipper going. It isn't something that you can adjust to either.

kaw143

Jun 18, 2012
I have noticed that, too. However, it doesn't feel like a lag to me so much as the ball feels "heavy" in relation to the other tables. It feels similarly heavy to me on the Vita. I'm interested for the recent DLC to release for the PS3, because by contrast the ball in Medieval Madness feels "light" to me on the Vita. If both versions of that title feel similar to me, I'm going to assume that's just the way the table was designed. Which won't make it any less annoying when the ball disappears for the third time after I've managed to spell "THEATR", but oh, well. If it IS a glitch, though, I would love to know...

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
For those who do not have a 360 to test with, just download one of the ZEN pinball games from the store and compare. ZEN seems to work better than TPA for me. I'd be curious to see others results.

Actually in Zen and Marvel Pinball you can adjust flipper lag in the operators menu and it doesn't effect your high scores on the leader boards.

After owning the game for a few months now (PS3) I don't think I'm getting much lag at all, I've blown my PHOFWC TOTAN score away on Arcade and I played the hell out of PHOFWC. The physics are way better on Pinball Arcade and these games play great compared to before.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Just some more info. I went back to PHoF on the Xbox 360 to clear up some of the last achievements and on the same TV as my PS3 that game plays perfectly with no delay whatsoever.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts