PS4 NA v1.00 Master Bug List

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I had this happen a couple more times yesterday and today. The common thing has been that it was after a someone long game on a DMD table where I had unlocked some goals and ended with a high score initials entry. In every instance closing TPA and restarting has corrected the issue.

I've pretty much confirmed it to myself - this [nudging not working on scripted tables] always happens to me after high score initials entry on an emulated table. If you restart TPA it will work fine again. I think maybe nudging was disabled during the initials entry screen and there isn't something in place to restart it in every possible scenario?

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I've pretty much confirmed it to myself - this [nudging not working on scripted tables] always happens to me after high score initials entry on an emulated table. If you restart TPA it will work fine again. I think maybe nudging was disabled during the initials entry screen and there isn't something in place to restart it in every possible scenario?

Are you on Facebook? If so, I encourage you to post your repro steps for the bug on their FB page. It isn't clear how often--if ever--they look at this bug list.

discoheat

Sep 5, 2012
I don't know if it has been mentioned before , but for Star Trek the Next Generation table , at the press start menu when the camera is flowing over the table , I can see a big black circle . It's on the left of the ramp that makes a loop between the jackpot light and the extra ball light Almost at the center of the playfield . It as if there's a shadow floating in the air .

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Have you tried it a few times? The way TPA detects goals isn't fool proof. It misses them sometimes.

To be fair, all versions of TPA have this problem occasionally. It does seem to be more prevalent on the PS4. On PC, I've had maybe 5 earned goals total go undetected in all three seasons-but was able to earn them on the next playthrough. I've earned five specials on MB, but did not earn the goal until the fifth time, with 3 on TZ and no registered goal. FunHouse frenzy didn't unlock until the third time I activated it. Still haven't unlocked the crossover in Taxi, or Red light super jackpot in Harley, despite "completing" those goals.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
That's correct, they are not. It is a limitation of the nature of software to not be able to detect a fleeting state. It works, at least to my understanding, much like the physics. The physics makes calculations on the ball's location, speed, trajectory, etc at least 60 times per second but increases this interval at times, like when the ball is moving quickly near the flippers, in order to capture as many events as possible that will effect the ball. It's not possible in the binary world for the physics engine to constantly monitor the ball. It has to take tiny slices of data to figure out where the ball should go next. If something *should* have happened to the ball in between those slices the game doesn't know it and we might see that as the ball doing something strange or unnatural. Apply this to the goal detecting part of the game. Again the game can't monitor the goals constantly. It takes slices of the state of the virtual pinball machine and looks to see if any of the goal criteria have been met. It has been demonstrated on a number of tables for a number of goals that this process misses some goals. That's not a bug. It's an engineering limitation of the programming. Probably a resource dependent limitation. It is something that could be improved like frames per second or lighting effects or flipper physics. It is no more a bug than the lack of advanced flipper moves.
Not that it matters much but I work in QA in the software industry and I would say that "wizard goals that don't correctly trigger 100% of the time" is most definitely a bug.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Not that it matters much but I work in QA in the software industry and I would say that "wizard goals that don't correctly trigger 100% of the time" is most definitely a bug.

If it doesn't detect the goal most of the time then it might be a bug. If it doesn't detect a goal all of time it is a bug. If it doesn't detect a goal only once in a while then it's only a bug if you consider the lack of flipper physics to be a bug. It doesn't look back in time to determine if a goal has been met. It only looks at the current state. It can also only check the current state a finite number of times per second. Without changing code of the ROM all they can do is poll the ROM to find out the current state. There's going to be gaps and every once in a while it's going to poll before and after the state that its looking at for a particular goal but not during. That doesn't seem like a bug to me but if you want to call it a bug I don't really care. Not my software. :D

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
A tester would call it a bug. An engineer would call it "Will Not Fix." At that point it's a feature, but not the kind you put as a bullet point on the back of the box. ; )

NeedleBanger

Dec 10, 2013
Wow, they finally updated this game and guess what: THE LEADERBOARDS STILL SHOW PC & MOBILE SCORES!!!!! What an absolute joke.

SERIOUSLY get those irrelevant scores OUT of the leaderboards!!!!!!! Nobody has a clue what they're doing in this industry anymore, I swear.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012

I find that goals often don't register if they're (apparently) tied to a DMD event that gets overridden by another DMD event. I think if the goal is looking for a certain animation or sound to be played which doesn't end up happening because something else more important is going on, then its understandable that the goal wouldn't be picked up. It could be said that its a bad design in that case but I digress..

In any other case I would agree that it needs to be considered a bug, including if the sample rate for detection isn't often enough based on the duration of the event being detected (which I would guess is often the case).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.